The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2021, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

There are a bunch of tuner add-ones for audacity. Everything is open source. Should have plenty of stuff to dig into there to get you what you need.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Something like this should be promising for you, too: https://www.nongnu.org/lingot/
Old 05-08-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
In case you should ever feel the need to, Peterson sells a clip-on transducer with a cable and 1/4" jack that's designed to work with a tuner for acoustic instruments. I have one and it works fine, clipping on the headstock to pick up the note exactly like any other clip-on tuner not using a microphone element.

As far as what the OP wants to do, I'm confused. Any tuner that passes through the signal will do what is being requested. I think there must be some other factor that I'm not following. It sounds like what is being asked for is a tuner that outputs a "pitch corrected" note, but that's not how tuners work.
Quote:
If you're looking for a tuner that will output the frequency of the note shown on the display then you can use something as simple as a $20 Korg CA-50 tuner.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hromatic-tuner
I want to be able to send the signal indicating the frequency from the tuner's output to an input that can receive that "value", interpret it and act on it. The tuner can be a physical tuner that sends output to an app, or a software-based tuner /app using mic'ed input.

It looks like the output from the Korg is just the passed-thru analog instrument signal. What I am looking for is a way to receive the same output from the tuner that is instructing the tuner to display "A" when the input frequency is sensed at ~440hz.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
There are a bunch of tuner add-ones for audacity. Everything is open source. Should have plenty of stuff to dig into there to get you what you need.
I hadn't thought of Audacity, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Something like this should be promising for you, too: https://www.nongnu.org/lingot/
Could be something to work with, if it is portable off of LINUX. Thanks for the heads up
Old 05-08-2021, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
…What's not to like?
Hi phc
They don't work well on electrics, and I can't tune with it in the middle of the song, in the middle of a band, in the middle of the stage.

PS -painful to use when I'm not wearing shoes…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-08-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi phc
They don't work well on electrics…
Unless it's a hollow body, like my Gretsch!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-08-2021, 11:15 PM

Probably not what you need BUT my “frozen ape” “Pitch” on an iPad is wonderful. It allows a color coded visual and, to the tenth, frequency, which allows me to balance tune my imperfect acoustic instrument to the most pleasant sound that the instrument can produce. And i can watch my strobe clip on peterson for corroboration if i want.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
I want to be able to send the signal indicating the frequency from the tuner's output to an input that can receive that "value", interpret it and act on it. The tuner can be a physical tuner that sends output to an app, or a software-based tuner /app using mic'ed input.
Does it need to be a stand-alone solution? If you can use a computer with an interface and a mic, could you write a VST plugin for a DAW (Reaper can be demo'ed/used free) to do what you want? Obviously you can get pitch information, since there are tuner and pitch-correction VSTs. I've never written one, so I'm not sure if you can do whatever it is you want to do inside a VST, or if a VST can then connect to an app if need be.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
I used a pitch pipe tuner for many years. I considered tuning forks too esoteric.
I'm having flashbacks. My dad made me use a pitch pipe when first starting instead of letting me have an electronic tuner. It worked out well, but I use electronic tuners now
Old 05-10-2021, 06:25 AM

I haven't used this, so can't comment on how good it is but after searching for "guitar tuner app source code" the first result was to this -> https://github.com/chRyNaN/Android-Guitar-Tuner

Since the source is in github you should be able to modify it to take whatever the frequency is and pass it on to whatever thing you want to use it.

There's also the likes of this -> https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...T-Guitar-Tuner It seems to be Windows based so maybe more accesible for development.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I haven't used this, so can't comment on how good it is but after searching for "guitar tuner app source code" the first result was to this -> https://github.com/chRyNaN/Android-Guitar-Tuner

Since the source is in github you should be able to modify it to take whatever the frequency is and pass it on to whatever thing you want to use it.

There's also the likes of this -> https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...T-Guitar-Tuner It seems to be Windows based so maybe more accesible for development.
Thanks, At first my thinking was to use a physical tuner, but the more I think and see, a software solution may be the way to go
Old 05-10-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
Thanks, At first my thinking was to use a physical tuner, but the more I think and see, a software solution may be the way to go
I can't imagine anyone producing a tuner that has some kind of digital output showing what frequency is being measured. It would be an incredibly niche product.

As long as you have a way to get the source signal into the algorithm then a software solution is the way to go. It'll mean more work in capturing and processing the signal, but both Windows and Android make it relatively easy to get the signal and there are various FFT libraries around that will give you the dominant frequencies for an audio sample. So the heavy lifting is already pretty much done.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:33 AM

I don't have a suggestion for how to make this work but I'm just curious what you want to do with that data. Do you want to have some sort of effects automatically enabled/disabled based on changing tuning?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 05-10-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I don't see why you couldn't do this with any tuner pedal. I have a Korg tuner pedal that I also use as a mute when switching instruments. Of course it only works with an instrument with an output jack and pickup.

Quote:
In case you should ever feel the need to, Peterson sells a clip-on transducer with a cable and 1/4" jack that's designed to work with a tuner for acoustic instruments. I have one and it works fine, clipping on the headstock to pick up the note exactly like any other clip-on tuner not using a microphone element.

As far as what the OP wants to do, I'm confused. Any tuner that passes through the signal will do what is being requested. I think there must be some other factor that I'm not following. It sounds like what is being asked for is a tuner that outputs a "pitch corrected" note, but that's not how tuners work.
He's looking for something that will pass the data (not a readout of the note) to another program or app so that the other program can use it in some way for something else.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion