The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Seems a whole lot easier just to remove meat, or a large percentage of meat from one's diet. Less impact, less cost, better health.
bingo bingo bingo

And not to your post, but to correct a misstatement

While surface water and groundwater are renewable, the amounts available and the amount of renewal and recharge constantly changes
Also the notion that ( saving /not wasting water ) is simply a "scare tactic" is mistaken

Water conservation is a completely viable consideration and I don't know how much of a distraction it actually is BUT I agree with Wenger population increase is a significant factor on potable water usage and will have significant negative impacts if it continues to increase at current rates.

Only 3 % of the earth's water is fresh water, this includes all surface water, rivers, lakes, swamps etc. and all groundwater aquifers . The amount of potable water is even less.

From the USGS website and here is a excerpt "The amount of water in rivers and lakes is always changing due to inflows and outflows"

Here are the page links
https://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclefreshstorage.html

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/watercyclegwstorage.html

This is an interesting comparison This shows the total amount of earth's water fresh and salt in relation to the size of the earth.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-16-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM

On the subject of potable water, it can be made from non-pure water. On average, the water in the Mississippi River has been consumed at least 3 times before it get to New Orleans.
et al
Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Not sure how making an observation is anything but live and let live or an incursion on your freedom. You are free of course to do what you like, and I don't know anyone who would want it another way. That said, it really does surprise me that one would regard my comment as an abridgment of their freedom.

To be clear I said remove or reduce. Both are viable options if someone is concerned about the problems this tech is trying to solve–whether it be available water resources, animal waste pollution, cost of feeding the planet, or the host of other issues with animal agriculture. If you're not concerned, not a problem. For me it's a simple issue of personal health, so I avoid meat, and have learned how to eat more simply and healthfully.

Right now the tech is at $9000 per pound of meat produced. They have a long way to go before they're viable. I think beyond that there are a lot of questions about this approach in terms of health. It seems super creepy to me, but I'm willing to stifle that and keep an open mind about the reality of this approach.

Interesting thread for sure. Thanks for posting Larry.
My apologies...probably an overly-sensitive response to your post.
I don't eat a lot of red meat anymore, but My wife and I do eat a fair amount of white meat chicken, turkey and pork, all anti-biotic free.
I just think we can still enjoy the things most of us have all enjoyed all our lives if the producers use good practices. There's no doubt in the interest of health and continued commerce, they have done just that. I'm not against advances in science but it has its downside and sometimes proves to be "fools gold." This has nothing to do with your post but The zeal to "fix" everything in our world is a constant source of amusement to me. We create a mess and then when we fix it we create another mess.
As did Otterhound, I will now bow out.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 11-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
There is plenty of food . The problem is that certain people are willing to starve others .
This is true. This world has simultaneous epidemics of both obesity and starvation.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I think it's a great idea and can't wait until it is available.

I don't like the idea of killing animals and I don't want to be responsible for the deaths of animals who did nothing to me, so lab grown meat sounds wonderful.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My apologies...probably an overly-sensitive response to your post.
I don't eat a lot of red meat anymore, but My wife and I do eat a fair amount of white meat chicken, turkey and pork, all anti-biotic free.
I just think we can still enjoy the things most of us have all enjoyed all our lives if the producers use good practices. There's no doubt in the interest of health and continued commerce, they have done just that. I'm not against advances in science but it has its downside and sometimes proves to be "fools gold." This has nothing to do with your post but The zeal to "fix" everything in our world is a constant source of amusement to me. We create a mess and then when we fix it we create another mess.
As did Otterhound, I will now bow out.
Thanks for the reply, no worries.

I think we'd like to enjoy all those things, but for some folks the impact of the actual farming practices is ranges from somewhat concerning to deeply troubling. I think any in-depth discussion of those issues is probably off-point, but there are plenty of good fake meat jokes left in play to keep this thread rolling for a while. ;D
Old 11-17-2017, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

I actually like it. I think there is strong potential for this to be a very viable solution for the safe consumption of meat. Once it gets to a level where it is cost effective, this will create a disruption in the farming industry potentially costing people their income streams.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 AM

Getting a little bloody or sweaty in securing your food is not the worst idea.We are now, have always been, and always will be predators.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:42 AM

I don't know about chicken.
How long before they grow people?
A beautiful female companion for while the girlfriend is away...
Sorry, am I off subject here?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Given that Gates is involved, I suspect very third bite will result in an "Error Message" telling you to upgrade or patch your digestive system before you can finish your McNuggetsoft lunch.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Getting back to the original subject - - it reminds me that "Science fiction" is not fiction but predictions for tomorrow, and tomorrow seems to be here today.

When I was aged - 11 to about 16 I was an avid reader of everythng "SF" and I clearly remember a story about an enormous "debrained" chicken" which was developed to be a continuous source of chicken flesh to feed the masses.

Can't remember the denouement.

I see no reason why not. The meats that most eat now are unn atural products, stuffed with chemicals and raised in an unnatural way, and presented to look "perfect" in supermarkets.

Growing my own fruit and veg showed me radically how little flavour there was in supermarket products, however, few people have taste buds sophisticated enough to discern much more than sweet and salt - hence the popularity of junk foods and drinks.

Obviously we can't all raise our own animals or hunt (who wants to eat foxes anyway) and raising cows, pigs and sheep are all problematic for the ozone layer.

Having said that the compost I use for veggies is organic cow compost and I've never had better.

I'm not sure where the discussion about water came from - no problem about water in the places where humans are supposed to live, although I pay £370 per annum for purified water from the nearby chalk hills.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Given that Gates is involved, I suspect very third bite will result in an "Error Message" telling you to upgrade or patch your digestive system before you can finish your McNuggetsoft lunch.
And and PC magazine is rumored to be writing and article about an optional Bluetooth wireless, belly button module, & smartphone app, for status monitoring so you can schedule bathroom visits , put them on you calendar and use the 15-10- and 2 minute alarm feature

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-17-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Of course, were it an Apple product, the headphone connection, in this case the implements to eat it, would be deleted by version 8, requiring an expensive new peripheral purchase.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Of course, were it an Apple product, the headphone connection, in this case the implements to eat it, would be deleted by version 8, requiring an expensive new peripheral purchase.

Bob
And it would cost twice as much and you'd have to stand in line for hours to get your reserved Applechick.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:47 AM

Large petri dish to go please.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic