The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-01-2024, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
Gigging-wise, I can only relate what I have seen, my own duo not active enough for me to consider it a "gigging band", though we do go out and play. But the drummer from my geezer band is also a good guitarist and singer and has a duo, and they are quite good. They have been getting some work for years, but after adding an electronic "band" (drums, bass, harmonizer, the works) they are now turning down gigs for being more than they want to do.

I think an important point is that they charge the same fees as before, but now sound like a band. An easy to control band made up of "members" that don't take a share when the money is cut.

The general public seems completely OK with it. It may be the future...
I've thought the same thing. In my neck of the woods, the vast majority of the solo/duet acts are definitely using looping (which I do as well) and also heavily relying on backing tracks. It goes over well in the rural bars here. Of course, those aren't the gigs we're really trying to get. We're trying to focus on afternoon/ early evening gigs, special events, wedding ceremony and cocktail hour music as well as shows where we tell a story through music and some dramatics.

I recently saw a guy, The Northwoods Bassist. He only plays bass and everything else is backing tracks. Bass has always been my first instrument so I checked him out. He's developed a pretty cool show out of it but not really my thing. He plays many bars.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:43 AM

Despite what you may be told by musicians on a music related forum, most audience members are pretty open minded about such things. Audiences are much more likely to make judgements based on style, choice of material, and personality. The more important concern, in my view, is making decisions that the whole group is comfortable with. Keeping 4 artists engaged and musically satisfied, while producing a product that’s well received can be a struggle. I wouldn’t rock a boat that’s sailing smoothly.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

Last edited by Rumblefish; 02-01-2024 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:44 AM

Keep it simple

My last group was two guitars, acoustic bass and male and female vocals. We decided early on to not add backing tracks...not even beats. It worked out pretty well.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-01-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
On guitar, I would give the singers rhythm and pitch, but basically keep out of the way. No one should notice my guitar playing...
I highly recommend that EVERYONE see the James Brown biopic "Get On Up," with a brilliant rehearsal scene that's one of the greatest and most concise music lessons ever. "It's a drum, Mr. Brown?" That scene's on Youtube and googlable.

Couch Standards
Old 02-01-2024, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Despite what you may be told by musicians on a music related forum, most audience members are pretty open minded about such things. Audiences are much more likely to make judgements based on style, choice of material, and personality. The more important concern, in my view, is making decisions that the whole group is comfortable with. Keeping 4 artists engaged and musically satisfied, while producing a product that’s well received can be a struggle. I wouldn’t rock about the sailing smoothly.
I tend to agree with you. I know for a fact one of the singers is not thrilled with backing tracks. Funny, enough, she's the one I worked with in a band that used them extensively. I won't be crying if I don't have to setup backing tracks nor use them.

I've been digging the looper on a few songs for ether a rhythym loop or just a basic beat banged out from my acoustic. For example, one of the singers(my wife) is singing "Fast Car". I find just a simple 4/4 beat looped fills out the sparse guitar nicely.

Thank you for your opinion/advice.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrick View Post
Acoustic guitar with three singers sounds like enough to me.

I say no to backing tracks. But that's just me. Others really like them.
No, it's not. It's me, too. Sadly or not, there's no substitute for talent or creativity. I'd quit any band that brought in backing tracks or other fake crap. And I've been known to walk out of pubs that featured an artist using them. Ow! I only have two ears.

I went to hear Laurie Anderson play solo once. Turned out she had a gizmo to accompany her. Then the battery died. Which would've been fine if she'd just carried on. But no. The battery hunt was on. And on. And on. . . .

Same thing happened when I went to hear Gaelic Storm. They started twenty minutes late because the guitarist couldn't figure out which of his pedals wasn't working.

It was well worth the wait. But still.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-01-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I highly recommend that EVERYONE see the James Brown biopic "Get On Up," with a brilliant rehearsal scene that's one of the greatest and most concise music lessons ever. "It's a drum, Mr. Brown?" That scene's on Youtube and googlable.
I put "It's a drum, Mr. Brown?" into Google and YouTube, but nothing came up.

Have a link?
Old 02-01-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I put "It's a drum, Mr. Brown?" into Google and YouTube, but nothing came up.

Have a link?

Couch Standards
Old 02-01-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
The general public seems completely OK with it. It may be the future...
In a way, it was also the past. 40 years ago we couldn't find a drummer, so we bought a drum machine and programmed it up. Played that way for quite a while, and nobody seemed to pay no never mind. Backing tracks of various sorts have been used for decades (sometimes on the sly--now there's a controversy for you).

I also agree with Rumblefish that the audience typically cares much less than other musicians do. That said, if I had a group with three vocalists, I'd be temped to do something other than backing tracks. Can any of them beatbox?
Old 02-01-2024, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I'm in a similar situation to the OP, two female singers and me on guitar and vocals. Lots of harmony. The girls provide percussion, (tambourines, shakers and assorted whatnot).

I do use a looper for three things: sound check, ie me walking the back of the room listening to the guitar from the stage, Wicked Game and the final solo of Sultans of Swing. And that's it.

IMO, tracks are cheesy. They sound cheesy, the audience knows it ain't you providing the horns if you're sitting there with a dread, and you better be dead on with your timing. Oh, and make sure you're in tune.

To me there is more artistry in figuring out how you can to the song that has an elaborate structure on your own rather than in paying for some downloaded studio hot shots to do it for you.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
In a way, it was also the past. 40 years ago we couldn't find a drummer, so we bought a drum machine and programmed it up. Played that way for quite a while, and nobody seemed to pay no never mind. Backing tracks of various sorts have been used for decades (sometimes on the sly--now there's a controversy for you).

I also agree with Rumblefish that the audience typically cares much less than other musicians do. That said, if I had a group with three vocalists, I'd be temped to do something other than backing tracks. Can any of them beatbox?
Great tip! They seemed lukewarm to that idea, but on a few songs, i loop a beat on the guitar and play it back while I play the guitar. That seems to be working.

Just as a lark, I looped a fairly funky drum beat on the guitar for "Higher Love" It actually worked pretty well and the singers were digging it.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM

Unless, of course, you do something like this.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:58 PM

You can do foot percussion live. Best to keep it simple in the beginning. Just a tap on one and three will give a song movement you pr looking for.
1st song Sara Smile.
https://www.facebook.com/Davids105Li...4538004855330/

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 02-01-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Unless, of course, you do something like this.

I am confident that is above and beyond me
Old 02-01-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
You can do foot percussion live. Best to keep it simple in the beginning. Just a tap on one and three will give a song movement you pr looking for.
1st song Sara Smile.
https://www.facebook.com/Davids105Li...4538004855330/
Thank you. you two sound great

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write