The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-06-2023, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default What can go wrong with carbon fiber guitar?

I'm asking, because in case I buy one and the company goes out of business, how do you get the guitar fixed? With a wooden guitar, you can go to a good luthier and fix what you need to fix. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-06-2023, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

I've found that a decent luthier can fix prettty much anything that might go awry with a carbon fiber guitar...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2023, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

RP--That's reassuring. Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-07-2023, 06:55 AM

Not much can go wrong with them. Wear items such as frets and nuts are easily handled by any luthier. I recall reading the occasional story about a CF guitar (Rainsong) that had developed an increased action height, but that usually traced back to loose nuts for the bolt-on neck, easily retightened. I’ve never heard of one that needed a true neck reset. My 2001 Rainsong WS-1000 has never moved at all action-wise and still looks brand new, despite many playing hours and travel in all kinds of conditions. It has ridden in the back of a pick up truck all day long at -40° F, and then played a gig by the bar fireplace that same evening. It has also played at festivals in summertime Idaho at 105° F. In that kind of heat or at the beach, be sure to play in the shade, because a dark carbon fiber guitar gets very hot to the touch. I have also never felt the need to get any warranty repair. Warranty coverage is mostly theoretical anyway, whether or not the company is still in business.

Toward the end of their original run, Composite Acoustics sent out a few examples with poor neck angles - came that way straight from the mold. There is no way to fix those. But that was never a problem for Peavey versions of CA.

Last edited by Earl49; 12-07-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Regarding fret wear, if your CF guitar has either stainless steel or EVO frets, they should last at least for the rest of our lives.

I don't know which CF guitars have bolt on necks other than that my original CA Guitars Cargos don't and neither do my Emeralds, but my McPhersons do. I was amazed at how low the action could be set on my McPhersons by a competent luthier. He said that once set, the necks probably won't move due to the particular design and quality of parts used on those guitars.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-07-2023, 02:44 PM

Tony, I was referring to Rainsong when I mentioned reading about an issue with loose neck bolts. The fretboard extension may be glued down, but I'm pretty sure the neck is bolted to the body. My previous post is now edited for clarity.

Agree about the longevity of SS or EVO frets, but my 22 year old WS-1000 shows minimal wear even on the nickel-silver factory frets.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:03 PM

A large part of the allure of CF is that there just isn't the same kind of maintenance nor upkeep required as there is with a wood guitar.

The only thing you should ever need is to change the strings occasionally. I don't expect any of my CF guitars to ever require a trip to a luthier. FREEDOM!!

-T
Old 12-07-2023, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Ear49,tbeltrans, ToddS. It all sounds good and carefree!
Old 12-07-2023, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=tbeltrans;7366647

I don't know which CF guitars have bolt on necks other than that my original CA Guitars Cargos don't and neither do my Emeralds, but my McPhersons do.

Tony[/QUOTE]

Many of the mid and lower priced carbons do.

Journey rt, Klos, Enya etc all do.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
I'm asking, because in case I buy one and the company goes out of business, how do you get the guitar fixed? With a wooden guitar, you can go to a good luthier and fix what you need to fix. Thanks.
Hi Karen, the CF's are ready for pretty much anything. This was earlier tonight in 30 degree temps, handled it easy. Stayed in tune, no shrinking wood , sharp frets etc. Handles the humidity in the summer too. She goes to my tech once a year for minimal maintenance, fret level, polish and that's after 90-100 gigs a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1627~2.jpg (56.5 KB, 289 views)

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-08-2023, 03:10 AM

If the CF guitar works fine previously, I can only think of the following items:

1. Fret can still wear out
2. Nuts may have problem
3. Saddle also
4. Strings need to change

Any others?
ArchAngels Wings (Dreadnought)

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 12-08-2023, 09:34 AM

I don't see the stainless steel frets I have in my Emeralds or my CA ever wearing out in my lifetime. Or my daughter's.

As for nuts/saddle, I guess it's possible. But any repair tech should be able to handle/replace those easily in the rare instance they ever have an issue. That said, I've never heard anyone who had an issue.

But I'll never face a neck reset, and I don't think the bridge will ever lift nor will the body bulge around it—all very concerning issues that wood guitars commonly face over time.

And I can leave a CF guitar on a stand 24/7/365 where it's always easily playable, I never have to humidify it, and it only goes into a case for travel.

As soon as I found Emerald I gave up my wooden acoustics. I loved my Martin OM28v, but hated the upkeep, repairs, and always worrying about it. So...bye.

-T
Old 12-08-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
If the CF guitar works fine previously, I can only think of the following items:

1. Fret can still wear out
2. Nuts may have problem
3. Saddle also
4. Strings need to change

Any others?
Electronics could go bad or solderings loosen up.
That's not carbon fiber, tho, and the solution is the same as any other guitar.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 12-08-2023, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

The thing to keep in mind is that a carbon fiber guitar is a guitar first and foremost and more like any other guitar....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-08-2023, 11:44 AM

There is a major flaw with CF.....you can't have just one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber