The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMorrissey View Post
I have an AJ500-RC, the 12 fret dreadnought. Cedar top and rosewood b&s.

Sounds like a piano with the sustain pedal.

It's just a unique guitar, wonderfully built with the fat v neck that I love, definitely a lifetime keeper.

...snip ....
Hi Slats,

I've been vaguely aware of the 12 fret version, but never seen one. Out of interest, could you tell me the scale length , nut width and string spacing?

Is it all solid woods?

Regards,
Old 10-07-2018, 12:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianl55 View Post
Hi Scott

You and I have corresponded on the Forum a bit about Masterbilts.
My AJ500 MNS has been making me very happy for a while. Last week I saw a Sunburst version at a very reasonable price listed on Craigslist and went to take a look. I told myself it could not be as nice as mine (2003) which has been set up exactly the way I like with spot on intonation. It is a 2008 model and I was amazed to find that someone must have spent some time working on this one because it sounds and feels as good as my natural one. I know there are inconsistencies with these guitars but I have certainly lucked out with the two I have found.

Having said all that and as much as I enjoy looking at the brother and sister side by side, I do have a strong hankering for a Fender Blues Junior amp for my Eastmans that I am fortunate to have so I have listed the Sunburst one for sale in the forum. Hope it ends up with someone who will get the same buzz I get from these models.
Brian, hi again. I remember a while back when you got your first Epi MB. I've also heard of inconsistent quality on these, but I guess I've lucked out. I now own five and probably won't be selling any of them.

One thing I noticed: The one I have with the satin (non-glossy) top is noticeably louder than the identical model with standard glossy top. In fact it's the only guitar in my collection (about fifteen guitars now) that one could truly call "a cannon."

So I love them. I love my Eastmans and Martins more, but I don't like taking my top guitars to play in situations where they could be stolen or damaged. The Epis fill that niche nicely -- an all-solid-wood guitar for about a quarter of the price of a Martin.

scott memmer
Old 10-07-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Brian, hi again. I remember a while back when you got your first Epi MB. I've also heard of inconsistent quality on these, but I guess I've lucked out. I now own five and probably won't be selling any of them.
You've lucked out with 5 Epi's, Scott, and I've lucked out with 2 so we're batting 100%. There must be many more good ones out there. Maybe there's more than luck involved?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
You've lucked out with 5 Epi's, Scott, and I've lucked out with 2 so we're batting 100%. There must be many more good ones out there. Maybe there's more than luck involved?
Here's one available now:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=523884
2020 Larrivee SD-40
2020 Larrivee LV-03
2015 Eastman AR372 Natural
2011 Fender Thinline Telecaster
(=O=}====:::
Old 10-07-2018, 03:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I do think there's more than luck involved, George. Agreed, for sure.

As the OP, I probably told this story earlier in this thread. Check it out. About a year ago I was at my usual luthier's in town who does most of my installations. There was someone in front of me at the counter, and he was asking the luthier what he would recommend in the way of acoustics. Bear in mind, this is one of the best and busiest luthiers in L.A., in a town loaded with great luthiers, who has seen the insides and worked on thousands of guitars in his career. And at the time he didn't know I was a Epi MB. Without a beat, he said, "Find a used Epiphone Masterbilt. Those are great solid wood guitars." The truth, or I'll give away all my Boy Scout merit badges.

There was a guy here on AGF (sorry, can't remember his name) who used to buy and flip these guitars. He did say there were some quality issues. Gibson has since gutted the line. I have no way of knowing whether this was partially driven by Bozeman feeling they were losing sales to Epiphone, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I've bought five now, and in their own individual ways they are all gems, not a lemon in the the bunch.

scott memmer
Old 10-07-2018, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just realized I hadn't posted any audio samples. Here's me playing my AJ-500M in a live setting. It has a B-Band pickup blended with a Shure SM-58 out front.

For those searching for a good used all-wood guitar, this will give you an idea of what one sounds like.

Enjoy,

Scott Memmer
Old 10-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

So I love them. I love my Eastmans and Martins more, but I don't like taking my top guitars to play in situations where they could be stolen or damaged. The Epis fill that niche nicely -- an all-solid-wood guitar for about a quarter of the price of a Martin.

scott memmer
This is exactly the niche my Epi fills, and it does it well. Especially with the satin finish, I tote it around in a gig bag to lessons, some gigs, for travel, jams etc. and I don’t worry too much about it. Same reason my well-worn partscaster tele gets most of the gig action on electric. I also have an Eastman AC722 with a Lyric/Dimarzio Angel dual source that gets used for nicer solo acoustic gigs where tone is more important, but I worry about it more than the Epi. My nicest acoustic is a custom Tim Reede OM that is pretty much just for home use and recording. Amazing guitar, but the Epi gets easily 3-4x more play time. What a workhorse of a guitar!
Old 10-07-2018, 10:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo View Post
This is exactly the niche my Epi fills, and it does it well. Especially with the satin finish, I tote it around in a gig bag to lessons, some gigs, for travel, jams etc. and I don’t worry too much about it. Same reason my well-worn partscaster tele gets most of the gig action on electric. I also have an Eastman AC722 with a Lyric/Dimarzio Angel dual source that gets used for nicer solo acoustic gigs where tone is more important, but I worry about it more than the Epi. My nicest acoustic is a custom Tim Reede OM that is pretty much just for home use and recording. Amazing guitar, but the Epi gets easily 3-4x more play time. What a workhorse of a guitar!
Agreed. I think the used ones in particular are a great value. Same niche for me. I've had a Martin stolen, and one is enough per lifetime. So if I'm going into what I control an "uncontrollable situation," I never take an expensive guitar but just grab one of my Epis and head out the door.

sm
Old 10-08-2018, 05:01 AM

I meant to reply on this thread when it was first started...

Scott M and I exchanged texts about these when I started getting a hankering for an all-solid slope D...

next thing you know, I found one on reverb... this past spring...

love it. I have the AJ500M gloss top. It is a joy to sing with, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I texted Scott that I found one... he called me and we shared a celebratory conversation...

I take it to nursing facilities and play it in church, sometimes with a mic in front of it and sometimes not. Definitely one of the best bang-for-your-buck all-solid guitars I've ever played.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:15 AM

I have a 2006 EF500 RANS and a 2010 AJ500M. I have breathed new life into both of them by replacing the factory bone saddles with new uncompensated bone saddles. Like night and day. Surprised the heck out of me. Both became much more articulate and defined. An improvement in every way. The original saddles were very uneven in density at least to the eye, you could see swirls when held up to the light. I also buffed out both of them to gloss which really is the way to go IMO, although the AJ was already a gloss top. The EF looked stunning after buffing out which I did many years ago, the rosewood grain and abalone just pops. Still not sure if they are in the league of Eastman or Blueridge though.

P.S Has anybody found any nice direct pick guard replacements for either model? I especially dislike the AJ guard.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumNSing View Post
I meant to reply on this thread when it was first started...

Scott M and I exchanged texts about these when I started getting a hankering for an all-solid slope D...

next thing you know, I found one on reverb... this past spring...

love it. I have the AJ500M gloss top. It is a joy to sing with, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I texted Scott that I found one... he called me and we shared a celebratory conversation...

I take it to nursing facilities and play it in church, sometimes with a mic in front of it and sometimes not. Definitely one of the best bang-for-your-buck all-solid guitars I've ever played.
Yeah, I really enjoyed that interchange. That was fun.

A thought or two. It sounds like you go an AJ without a pickup. That's fine. I'm not overly crazy about the factory pickup in those models, although I've heard others say that they really sound great once you dial it in.

Anyway, you might think down the road about adding an internal pickup for your gigs or for playing in church. For example, JJB makes some excellent pickups in the $50 range.

Also, if you go the pickup route, you'll eventually want to get a smallish amp with two inputs -- one for the guitar and one for vocal.

I realize this is making you spend more of your hard-earned cash, but what are we here for?!

Anyway, thrilled that you found one. They are so so good.

be well,
scott
Old 10-08-2018, 10:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I have a 2006 EF500 RANS and a 2010 AJ500M. I have breathed new life into both of them by replacing the factory bone saddles with new uncompensated bone saddles. Like night and day. Surprised the heck out of me. Both became much more articulate and defined. An improvement in every way. The original saddles were very uneven in density at least to the eye, you could see swirls when held up to the light. I also buffed out both of them to gloss which really is the way to go IMO, although the AJ was already a gloss top. The EF looked stunning after buffing out which I did many years ago, the rosewood grain and abalone just pops. Still not sure if they are in the league of Eastman or Blueridge though.

P.S Has anybody found any nice direct pick guard replacements for either model? I especially dislike the AJ guard.
David, hi, nice to hear from you.

First, no, I would not place these in the same league as Eastman, unless they might match up with the entry level Eastman models. All the Eastmans I've played are over $1000, so that's really kind of an unfair fight. But for a clean used guitar below $400, they're pretty hard to beat, no matter the brand. The Seagull S6 comes immediately to mind, but I can't stand that wimpy headstock. Someone in the design department really missed the boat on that one.

And speaking of ugly, yes, a big UGH on the pickguard on the AJs. Again, someone missed the boat. I'm wondering if this was a copy of an original pickguard design of an Epi model from the '30s or '40s. Perhaps someone knows.

I tried to replace it with a batwing, but mine was on there long enough to produce the dreaded tanline, and the batwing doesn't cover everything.

I have been communicating with a guy name Taylor Mullins who does cool custom pickguards to possibly make a custom one to cover the tanline, but I've just been too busy. I'm actually going to mail him the pickguard, if I can every get around to it.

Let's stay in touch. Would love to sold this.

scott
Old 10-09-2018, 11:58 AM

I have an AJ 45ME, I absolutely love the guitar. I see people that crap on this one alot, but man I love mine and the tone it has. I have some decent guitars and I rotate them but this one gets pulled out often. I have an EF 500N that my dad gave me. It's a pretty dead boxy sounding guitar honestly.
2015 Taylor 214
2010 Martin D18 Standard
2017 Taylor 410 Rosewood
2017 Taylor Mini GS -E Walnut
Martin D12X1AE 12 String
Bugera AC60 Amp
Acoustic A20 Amp
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowacarver View Post
I have an AJ 45ME, I absolutely love the guitar. I see people that crap on this one alot, but man I love mine and the tone it has. I have some decent guitars and I rotate them but this one gets pulled out often. I have an EF 500N that my dad gave me. It's a pretty dead boxy sounding guitar honestly.
Glad you like it. Sounds like you got a good one.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 PM

Smile

I have a DR-500ME and I've played it for over 10 years. It's been such a great guitar -- a few issues with the electronics over time, but I will always sing its praises!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion