The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

No you shouldn’t be concerned...especially if you know how to evaluate a guitar and buy from a reputable dealer with a good return policy. Martin makes fantastic guitars. I’d never hesitate to buy one.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

I have to say that calling used ''buying someone else's problem'' was a poor choice of words. Most guitars sold privately are in very good condition. We just fall out of love with them and want something new.

I do think that used prices are much too high though.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM

All of my Martins have had warranty work. The 1975 D-28L has had a neck reset, pickguard and bridge replacement. The 1975 A model mandolin has had pickguard replacement. the 1980 M-38L has had a neck reset. The 2014 D-18L, the 2015 000-18L and the 2016 OMC-18E have had binding separation. I hope Martin has found a solution for this issue. The last three were easy fixes but an annoyance. The older instruments had work done after many years of ownership.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have to say that calling used ''buying someone else's problem'' was a poor choice of words. Most guitars sold privately are in very good condition. We just fall out of love with them and want something new.

I haven't been looking at used Martin's on the classifieds lately but I was under the impression that roughly 50% of MSRP new was the going used rate.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Martin concerns?

I don't have any Martin concerns. I have three Martin guitars going back as far as 1967 and I have never had a neck reset done. In fact, I have about a dozen acoustic guitars and have never had a neck reset on any of my guitars.

If a person has needed a neck reset on a guitar, then of course this makes a big impression and it tends to get mentioned on a forum like this. For me, neck resets have simply not been an issue.

Regarding used guitars, I have purchased a few. I tend to buy used when the price is significantly better than a new price, but another reason to buy used is when availability is the issue.

Used prices tend to be about 50% of the new, list price. New prices off any Internet seller is typically 25% off new list price, but many of our forum sponsors will provide a new Martin at 30-40% off new list price. So depending on the situation, it may make sense to buy new if you can get a significant discount. I got my Martin 000-28VS new at about 40% off list price so from my point of view there was no sense in looking at used versions of this model.

I think Martin has significantly upped their game in terms of quality control in recent years. That does not mean you are guaranteed not to have a problem, but I do think the chances of problems have gone down considerably.

I ordered my 2018 Martin D-45 from a forum sponsor thousands of miles from me. I got an excellent price and I have had zero quality issues so far.

- Glenn
Old 12-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeffcoat View Post
All of my Martins have had warranty work. The 1975 D-28L has had a neck reset, pickguard and bridge replacement. The 1975 A model mandolin has had pickguard replacement. the 1980 M-38L has had a neck reset. The 2014 D-18L, the 2015 000-18L and the 2016 OMC-18E have had binding separation. I hope Martin has found a solution for this issue. The last three were easy fixes but an annoyance. The older instruments had work done after many years of ownership.
I talked to them last week about the binding separation issue and they claim there isn't one... the fact that they don't admit to what is widely known is disturbing.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
With the 40% discount offered by our excellent sponsors, I can't see any reason to by a used Martin unless there is a specific instrument you want. The used price is going to be right around the 60% price, so why take a chance on someone else's problems. With the Martins that I have played, I find them to be very consistent. I have no problem ordering a guitar from Maury's and having it arrive at my house the next day, brand new, vs buying a used one online and wondering what it's going to be like when it arrives.
Good points, absolutely worth considering. They do seem to assume one is buying used and having it shipped, which isn't always the case for those of us in larger metro areas. Knowing the guitar is awesome (or not) is worth a LOT to me, and as such, choosing between a new local guitar and a used local guitar means a big price delta. Also the chance to inspect the guitar. I'll pay more for a brilliant used guitar than a really good used guitar. Gives one a chance to evaluate whether the asking price is worth the tone. I'd also argue the 60% estimate for used is pretty high. I'd pay it for a brilliant used guitar, but usually it's around 50%.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:48 PM

No concerns as far as I'm concerned.

I will buy another when the right one comes along, no problem. I know there's a 000-18/28 calling for me out there somewhere
Old 12-10-2019, 06:16 PM

I've had a Martin Custom D for 15 or so years. Played out with it a lot. Used but never abused with a few dings here and there. I've had a Road Series (made in Mexico) for about 4 years, and a D41 for 7 months. They all get played quite a bit and live outside their cases most of the time. NEVER have had a single problem with any of them. All were purchased new so any problems are on me.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Hmmmmm

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=566113
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-10-2019, 07:10 PM

I have 4 Martin's. Two newish, two 30+ years old. I don't gig, I don't abuse them, I don't expect them to be other than the tone monsters they are. No problems...ever! Btw, I don't consider a neck reset on a handmade dovetail joint years down the round, a problem...maybe an inconvenience. The alternative is, of course, something with a bolt-on neck[emoji51].
Old 12-10-2019, 09:07 PM

Two of the best sounding Martins I've ever heard had neck resets that enabled them to sound so spectacular.

I bought one of them for my friend a '67 D-18S, needing a neck reset.

If I were looking for one again I'd seek one needing a neck reset that I could buy for $600-$800 less than it would be if it didn't need a neck reset.

Both that guitar and a friends '66 D-28 sounded better than any new Martin.

Don't run with the herd. The view never changes.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

After owning over a dozen new Martins the past 15 years here is my experience:

Three had minor issues that were remedied -binding separation and finish cracks.All covered under warranty.

I would not hesitate to buy another Martin with the caveat that 18 series and above would only be considered.

Gabe
Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 PM

I am not the biggest Martin fan around. Had a few. Never a problem. My Custom Shop 50th anniversary D 35 is 4 years old. I rather love this guitar. No problems.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 12-11-2019, 02:03 AM

Quote:
They are only too high if you are buying.

If you are selling they are too low.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion