The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 02:15 PM

Default What should my next guitar be?

I am an intermediate guitar player and I have been looking for a guitar to upgrade to. I am 18 and have been playing since I was around 13 on a wonderful seagull s6 with cedar top. I love it, but I’m looking for a new, more quality guitar that I will keep through college and my life in the military afterwards. I love fingerpicking but also play with plenty of chords, so I’m looking for something well balanced. I have checked out the taylor 224 koa (special edition satin finish because of the looks) but haven’t been able to settle on anything. I know it’s a stretch, but if it’s a guitar I’ll keep for the rest of my life would it be worth it to try to find an expensive used guitar? (My dream would be the Martin 000 28ec) but I’m afraid I would tear it up. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Depends on how much money you want to spend. A place to start would be to identify what aspects of your current guitar you want to upgrade or change. Do you want/need electronics? Do you want a certain type of finish or look? Bound fretboard? Is there something about the tone that you don't like?

The Seagull S6 is no slouch of a guitar. I've had mine for 20 years and it continues to serve me well.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:33 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming college and good on ya for your desire to serve. Having served myself and seeing my older kid’s dorm and apartment situations in her college life, no way in heck would I recommend you bring anything expensive to either situation.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:41 PM

First - the 'guitar for the rest of your life' is a pipe dream. Let it go. The closest you'll get is buying the best guitar you can afford now AND that you will love now. Being young and with means probably too limited to get a 28EC, play some Eastman & Blueridge OM/000s if you like traditional designs. If you favor factory electronics/cutaways Taylors are a popular way to go. A lot of these will probably have different tone than your cedar top. All mahogany models might be closer to what you're used to.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:29 PM

May I suggest a carbon Fiber guitar.
It will the a good choice for holding up well through your journey.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:40 PM

Try as many different ones in shop, make several trips (take your time) and while you’re at it check out the Martin 000-15m and D-15m. For home use/ enclosed spaces these guys provide beautiful tone at low volume when necessary.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Yeah, be careful about bringing a really nice one to school. Your Seagull will probably serve you well but otherwise, set a modest price point and go out and play a bunch of them.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-25-2020, 04:33 PM

You may want to consider a Larrivee.......

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-26-2020, 12:55 AM

Another vote for hanging onto the Seagull through school and the military. You already know it’s a good guitar, they’re not exactly lightly built, the laminate B&S means no humidity issues to speak of, and if something happens to it, it’s not the end of the world. And it’s a good enough guitar that it’s not going to hold you back musically.

I had a nylon-string get beat to hell back in my college days, before it finally disappeared under mysterious circumstances (pretty sure an acquaintance sold it). No way my Martin could’ve survived my college years, let alone being in the military. You just don’t have enough control of your surroundings or the people in them.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-26-2020 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Edited.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Depends on how much money you want to spend. A place to start would be to identify what aspects of your current guitar you want to upgrade or change. Do you want/need electronics? Do you want a certain type of finish or look? Bound fretboard? Is there something about the tone that you don't like?

The Seagull S6 is no slouch of a guitar. I've had mine for 20 years and it continues to serve me well.
I plan on going to multiple stores when I have some time, and I’ll make sure to look for those things. I’m probably going to stick with the seagull for awhile. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming college and good on ya for your desire to serve. Having served myself and seeing my older kid’s dorm and apartment situations in her college life, no way in heck would I recommend you bring anything expensive to either situation.
Thanks! I completely agree as I doubt that it would be wise to bring an expensive guitar.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
First - the 'guitar for the rest of your life' is a pipe dream. Let it go. The closest you'll get is buying the best guitar you can afford now AND that you will love now. Being young and with means probably too limited to get a 28EC, play some Eastman & Blueridge OM/000s if you like traditional designs. If you favor factory electronics/cutaways Taylors are a popular way to go. A lot of these will probably have different tone than your cedar top. All mahogany models might be closer to what you're used to.
That is 100% true. I’m sure no matter what I get I’ll be craving a new guitar. I’ll have to check out some mahogany models, I saw another reply suggesting a d15m. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
May I suggest a carbon Fiber guitar.
It will the a good choice for holding up well through your journey.
I have heard only good things about the durability of these guys, but I have to say I enjoy the tone of a wood top to CF. However it would be a great idea for a travel guitar. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Try as many different ones in shop, make several trips (take your time) and while you’re at it check out the Martin 000-15m and D-15m. For home use/ enclosed spaces these guys provide beautiful tone at low volume when necessary.
I will do this soon, when I can have some time. I’ll have to check out those models, they seem fantastic! Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-26-2020, 09:56 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

If you are worried about a high-end brand name used guitar like Martin or Taylor getting stolen - you could buy a plain looking one of these models and vandalize the logo on the headstock and the label inside, so people would'nt know what it was.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar, upgrade