The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2020, 06:20 PM

Default Now that Taylor has. . .

. . . gone full on board with the V-Class bracing, how much (or how less) value do you think an X-Bracing Taylor will have?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 02-24-2020, 07:11 PM

I think that like always, it will depend on the sound of the guitar and how it appeals to a given individual's ear.

Personally, I like Taylors, but I haven't played any V braced ones that want to make me buy it. Might be just that I'm used to overtones. Besides I like the guitars I have now. But who knows what the future may bring?

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-24-2020, 07:47 PM

Default Now that Taylor has. . .

I bought my my 1998 414 right as Taylor came out with the NT neck for quicker resets. I never really worried what it did to the value of my guitar.

If I ever trade or sell, I hope the buyer is more concerned with the sound of that 22 year old wood than an NT neck or V bracing.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I think it will ultimately serve to up the value of X-braced Taylors. I mean, it would seem inevitable that they will become collector's items to some extent, not to mention that there are still a lot of players who prefer them. Time will tell.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:01 PM

I'm curious as well but my guess is no. Ive never thought bracing patterns made any real difference. Personally I'm glad mine says Bob inside but maybe because im old. Mines a 2007 DN8 and regardless of the bracing noone knows what it is and it will never be a collector despite it being absolutely incredibly freaking awesome.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-24-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I think it will ultimately serve to up the value of X-braced Taylors. I mean, it would seem inevitable that they will become collector's items to some extent, not to mention that there are still a lot of players who prefer them. Time will tell.

I don't know that the X braced guitars will be a "collectors" item... But I don't see a lot of folks trading in their X braced Taylors to "upgrade" to V braced. I currently have 3 Taylor guitars, the newest being a 2017 X braced model and to be brutally honest, I have zero interest in any of the new V-braced classic models. I've played several, and in all but one or two instances I was severely disappointed, especially when comparing my X braced guitar with the same model with the V. The sole exception would be the GP lineup.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-24-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
. . . gone full on board with the V-Class bracing, how much (or how less) value do you think an X-Bracing Taylor will have?
In my view more. Lol. I believe there are others that would agree.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 PM

Well, perhaps I’m wrong, but those of us who participate on guitar forums and are even aware of technical aspects like bracing, much less worry about them, are a tiny, TINY minority of the guitar players and buyers out there. Some folks on here pore over the Taylor PR magazine “Wood & Steel” as if it was Holy Writ and they’re Talmudic scholars, but - truthfully - I doubt that many other people do.

It’s like the threads that say: “Will my guitar lose resale value if I install a pickup in it/change the tuners on it/put a strap button on the neck?” and three of the first five people to respond to the thread will be people who just HATE whatever the OP is asking about, so they jump right in and say:

“Yes! Doing that will ruin the resale value of the guitar, I would NEVER buy a guitar where someone has put in a pickup/changed the tuners/added a strap button!!!”

Whereas in real life, most potential buyers won’t know or care that they’re supposed to offended and driven away by these things. Because they aren’t.

So for every person who cares that deeply about bracing patterns, there’ll be at least a hundred who won’t know and won’t care.

That’s been my experience, anyway - most players aren’t that interested in the technical details of guitar construction. Not to the degree that’s common on this forum.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-24-2020, 09:06 PM

As Wade says most guitar players have no knowledge of bracing patterns. They just want a guitar that fits their needs. Nothing wrong with that.
In my opinion I believe that initially X braced guitars resale value will minimally drop as used inventory increases (supply and demand). As used X braced inventory decreases their value will go back to pre V-Class pricing.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-24-2020, 10:08 PM

Other than the GP line, I prefer the old x bracing. So to me, if I were to buy a Taylor, it would have to be x braced. Market value is what it is, but I have zero interest in owning a V braced guitar (other than a GP). Take that for what you will.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, perhaps I’m wrong, but those of us who participate on guitar forums and are even aware of technical aspects like bracing, much less worry about them, are a tiny, TINY minority of the guitar players and buyers out there. Some folks on here pore over the Taylor PR magazine “Wood & Steel” as if it was Holy Writ and they’re Talmudic scholars, but - truthfully - I doubt that many other people do.

It’s like the threads that say: “Will my guitar lose resale value if I install a pickup in it/change the tuners on it/put a strap button on the neck?” and three of the first five people to respond to the thread will be people who just HATE whatever the OP is asking about, so they jump right in and say:

“Yes! Doing that will ruin the resale value of the guitar, I would NEVER buy a guitar where someone has put in a pickup/changed the tuners/added a strap button!!!”

Whereas in real life, most potential buyers won’t know or care that they’re supposed to offended and driven away by these things. Because they aren’t.

So for every person who cares that deeply about bracing patterns, there’ll be at least a hundred who won’t know and won’t care.

That’s been my experience, anyway - most players aren’t that interested in the technical details of guitar construction. Not to the degree that’s common on this forum.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Best response so far.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:42 AM

I have one of the Andy Powers "revoiced" 810s from ~2014, which in my opinion, is the finest sounding Taylor to date. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

As it turns out, it's going to be a rare guitar, as that arrangement only lasted a couple years. While I don't think that's going to make it highly sought after in the future, I also don't think it's going to lose any value, either. If I decided to sell, there's likely going to be somebody that specifically wants that voicing...
Old 02-25-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Other than the GP line, I prefer the old x bracing. So to me, if I were to buy a Taylor, it would have to be x braced. Market value is what it is, but I have zero interest in owning a V braced guitar (other than a GP). Take that for what you will.
I feel the same, I really like the GP sound/feel, however, I recently got a 362ce and after a/b-ing the V and X braced ones I like the X better. Both were good, but for me I preferred the X.

Various stringed instruments
Old 02-25-2020, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I don't think that X-braced Taylors will suffer on resale just due to the bracing; in fact, there's enough internet dissatisfaction voiced about V-bracing that the X-braced ones might become a bit more desirable...
Old 02-25-2020, 12:16 PM

I don't care if my 12 string X braced 856 has a reduced value due to the new V braced Taylors. I love that guitar and I keep it anyway.
I played the new V braced guitars a few times since they hit the market, I like them but not enough to buy one.

1930 National Style O
1931 National Triolian
1933 Gibson L-1
2007 Martin 000-18 SB Authentic
2013 Gibson 1935 Advanced Jumbo Limited Edition
2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Limited Edition
2021 Martin D-28 CAA 1937
2022 Martin 000-28 CAA
Many Strat's, Tele's, ES 335's and a Gretsch Duo Jet

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion