The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 AM

Default Acoustic Combo Amp Mic Gain in Live Performance

For those of you using a dynamic mic and combo amp for a simple live performance, where are you typically setting your mic channel gain (clock method) in order to obtain a clean loud signal that mates well with your instrument?

I am thinking something like a Loudbox mini or Boss Acoustic Live with a Shure Sm58 or similar mic with the amp three feet to the side and about three feet behind the user. This would exclude using the amp only as a monitor, although the setting could end up being the same, I suppose.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

At our gig Saturday night in a room that's about 40 X 50 with around 35 folks on attendance, each of us in an acoustic duo used a LB Artist as our main speaker without monitors. I had my vocal channel gain set around 1 o'clock but the Master volume was only at 9 o'clock. I'm using a Sennheiser e945 for vocals. Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 PM

It's going to depend a lot on how loud you sing. In general, you want your gain set to where you don't get clipping when singing at your loudest. That will give you the most control with your volume.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-25-2019, 10:59 PM

I spent Sunday afternoon performing at an enclosed market using my Boss Acoustic Singer Pro, with vocals through a Shure SM58.
The hall was about 10mtrs wide x 30mtrs long and high ceilings.
Both my vocal and guitar channels were around the 11 o'clock position, with the master at 12 o'clock.
I don't really let loose when I'm performing, except for a couple of songs, but from all reports, the sound filled the space nicely without being overpowering.
For reference, my amp was elevated about 80-100cms off the floor, pretty much directly behind me. No feedback from the mic or guitar.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-26-2019, 06:42 AM

I always perform with my amp behind me. Its my monitor and volume. IF I need more; a powered speaker is to the side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification