The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

One thing that I have discovered about protecting my Wolfram file while I am traveling is I put it in the case for my glasses. It lays at the bottom and I put my glass cleaning cloth over it and then I can even fit my glasses on top. I have carried it this way in my handbag as well as packing it in my suitcase.

For you guys who carry man bags, you might try it.

Just as an FYI, I have A/B'd the Wolfram file with the other Czech files and I found that I do like the Wolfram better. It finishes the nail better and over time after multiple washings, the Wolfram's surface seems to retain its effectiveness while the other file seems to lose something.

I have dropped my file twice - both times on a carpeted surface, so no issues.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

David makes some great stuff, beautiful finish and functionality -- and is a great guy to boot. Give him a try!

Thanks, Jayne.

Scott
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Default suggested size?

I want to order the file and am unsure about which size will be "best"?

The regular is thinner, which might allow to better file from the downside of the nail -- which is surely needed with other files I used, to get a smooth surface from the downside which is most important for me, because that is the contact surface to the strings!

The Pro has the added bonus of a coarse surface, when needed and less likely to break.

The smaller nano-version is shorter, therefore less likely to break. Is the shorter file surface making any real-world-difference? When not that seems to be the "best" option to me if not the thinner regular version will benefit filing from all positions of the nail?!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi rpnfan,

I usually recommend the original Precision : Crystal file for players with natural nails - we developed the coarse side of the Pro version specifically for hard artificial nails such as acrylics. The additional thickness of the Pro version is because the process of etching deeper into the glass weakens it somewhat - so it's thicker to make it about the same strength as the thinner standard file.

The nano file is simply a smaller version of the Pro file - the surfaces are exactly the same. If you need something smaller for a pocket, handbag or case this may be the one.

Really interested to hear from any customers about their preferences too!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I really love it. I opted for the Pro version with both fine and coarse sides. I don't use artificial nails but my nails are thick and solid. I am very lucky in that respect. So I thought there might be a need for the coarse side and I was correct. I am glad I got the Pro version because for my large hands I might have some trouble handling the mini version. The Pro is just the right size for me. Also I might mention the added tonality I can get from my nails now is quite noticable. I also used to go through 3 different grades of emory boards with each filing. I have cut that time to almost nothing and that really makes this purchase worth it. Great for quick touch ups, too. I have trashed the emory boards and now protect this little gem with my life.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM

I never thought I would see 7k posts from gray haired guys talking about filing their nails. Think about that...pretty funny to me. And I'm one of them.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:49 PM

I have the original and it's pretty aggressive if you apply some pressure. It's more than adequate for me in the coarseness department.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-27-2020, 07:12 AM

Got my Wolfram a week ago. Works as advertised other then the buffing part. I play steel strings and I still use a buff pad to get premium sound. My nails are not all that thick but they are strong so that may play into it. As a file in general its VERY nice.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:13 AM

Almost 3 years since the prior post? You win the Lazarus award for "revival of the day"!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion