The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz Body Sizes

I played a Santa Cruz H A/E today. What a nice guitar! Not knowing much about SCGC I thought I'd look into them more. For instance, I'd like to know how big each of the various models are, but I'm not having a lot of luck. Surprisingly the SC website is pretty quiet about say, the width of the bouts, body length, overall length, that sort of thing.

I lean toward smaller guitars, something like a 00. The H that I played today seemed to be about that size. I see that they have a 00 model. Is the H larger than their 00? Is the H 13 the same size as an H? And what does the A/E mean (acoustic/electric maybe)? I'm surprised how hard it is to find such basic info. Is this just the fog one runs into in the rarified air of the boutique guitar world?

One last question - the H A/E I saw is used (didn't get the year), in excellent condition and had a price tag of $5200. Is that about average? The store owner said it would be around $7K new. I couldn't find any used H A/E models online for comparison. I've seen a couple of H models for around $3K.

Thanks-
Old 02-27-2020, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Dream guitars lists the H-13 body as 14.65 width of the lower body which should be the same. The body lgn will be slightly longer than the H-14. The A/E most likely means Audi top and East Indian Rosewood sides
They don't supply electronics unless a buyer requests a pu system when ordering a build.

They make great guitars, I've owned 3 over time, one ordered custom right at the shop working with Richard himself.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 02-27-2020, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Kevin,

I have an H A/E and love it! Mine also has a cutaway and a pick up, which is what I believe the A/E denotes. I bought it used from the original dealer who supplied the tone woods about 2003. I am under the impression that it is deeper than a regular 00, more like a Gibson L-00? I know Eric Skye is a big fan of the 00 and he posts here as he has a signature SCGC model. I've not played an H-13 so cannot help you there. I also have an SCGC 000-12 which is longer body shape. As far as prices, you can do well on the used market but they go up in price quickly for more exotic woods.

Best of luck!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Call them

If you call, especially with the serial number, she can get you all the details about that specific guitar..
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 02-27-2020, 01:06 PM

From 1998 catalog

The H A/E has a thinner body with a cutaway than the H model, as well as a pickup.

Hope that helps,
Clive
Old 02-27-2020, 02:39 PM

Does SCGC still make the OM Grand body size? I recall those being nice...
Old 02-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Dream guitars lists the H-13 body as 14.65 width of the lower body which should be the same.
Thanks. Wasn't aware of dream guitars. They have a lot of the info I was interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuth View Post
From 1998 catalog...

The H A/E has a thinner body with a cutaway than the H model, as well as a pickup.

Hope that helps,
Clive
Yes, helps a lot! Thanks for sending.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Does SCGC still make the OM Grand body size? I recall those being nice...
i own an OM Grand. i was researching something the other day and noticed that with their new site Santa Cruz no longer posts some of the spec info it used to. don't know why but it's a bit annoying.

the lower bout on the OMG is 16' and it is an exquisite guitar. i've had mine 6 years and I am quite attached to it. unfortunately, i've come to the conclusion that the neck and my left hand are a mismatch that will never resolve itself. just today i received a Collings OM2HT Baked and I think my neck quest is finally over. the Collings has a sweet sound and I'm falling in love but I have to be honest that it doesn't have the rich sustain and overtones of the SCGC OMG. (And the OMG doesn't have the fullness of my Goodall Jumbo but that's another story...)
Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Apparently they took the body size info down when they re-did the website! I’m sure they’ll correct that shortly -

The H is very similar to a 00, lower bout may be a hair wider, depth is about the same. The H13 is different, same size, but it has a deeper body. I had a chart somewhere, but can’t find it - Hopefully SC can get it all re-posted soon -

I always though the A/E was a model that spec’d a pickup and cutaway, options that were always available but since the H makes a great performance guitar, they made this designation for that combo of features. A phone call to SCGC would confirm all that quickly -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion