The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Although not always easy or even possible, the single best thing you can do to improve your playing is to play with others. Maybe find someone whose been playing about as long as you have and get together to jam or show each other things. Playing with someone else really pushes you to both play your best and to take it to the next level. A million years ago when I learned to play, I had a friend who was also learning. We would spend hours playing together. He was better than me and it was such a huge push to have him to play with. Even now, I learn the most when I'm playing with others. In one of the bands I'm in, the other guitarist is just amazing. Playing with him has really pushed me to bring my playing up a notch and it's been great.
This is the best advice you'll ever get.
I would add that if possible play with people who are better than you as that's a great motivator to practice and advance.
You can do it on your own but I can guarantee you one thing...it won't be as much fun, and that, my friend, is what's it's all about.
Enjoy
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM

"The example Im thinking about at the moment from my current playlist is "Wish you were here". Im somewhat proficient with the acoustic line (at least I dont have to stop in the middle of it). I would like to learn the solos. I would love to be able to do the entire song."

As for working on the WYWH solos, Marty Schwartz has a couple of videos showing both the intro and the first solo.

If you can't hit the bends you can slide them. Lot easier, IMO, and still sounds good.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
"The example Im thinking about at the moment from my current playlist is "Wish you were here". Im somewhat proficient with the acoustic line (at least I dont have to stop in the middle of it). I would like to learn the solos. I would love to be able to do the entire song."

As for working on the WYWH solos, Marty Schwartz has a couple of videos showing both the intro and the first solo.

If you can't hit the bends you can slide them. Lot easier, IMO, and still sounds good.
I have used both of those... actually how I learned to play the intro and strum... I have started on the solo. I can KIND of do the bends... much work ahead.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighJC View Post
Wow! Thanks for the input so far all! Lots of good ideas... and ways to spend money (as if I needed any other excuses).

I really had not thought of a dedicated drum backer... I was thinking that I might try to feed a drum track in from my MIDI keyboard, but the beat buddy sounds like a WHOLE lot easier.

Im a "social" kind of guy, so I am hoping to get good enough to not outright embarass myself when I try that. I do have one neighbor who is at at similar point in the journey, and another one that I think had gigged a little bit. I also have a reasonably close friend who is an EXCEPTIONAL blues guitar guy. With a little work, I might be able to play along with the first two. I would love to be able to play along with the last guy, but that is going to take a lot more work.

You have my attention on the dedicated stop switch. I am naturally a klutz, already struggling trying to sing while playing (Grumble, generally doesnt work for me), so getting the double tap sounds like another source of frustration.

Based upon what I am reading here, I am pretty close to picking up a beat buddy mini 2, and a Ditto X2 (to get the dedicated button). Looks like the beat buddy has an optional external double switch (looks a lot like what you built). Im handy enough I might try building one... doesnt look hard, but I definitely dont understand the operating principle behind it yet, but Im sure a little google research would yield that answer.

If I were to go for this it sounds like the set up is guitar into the beat buddy, fed into the looper, then to the PA on one input, a mike on the other input, and perhaps the iPhone music feed over the aux to the PA. Does that sound right?
I'd say close... I think the Ditto X2 is only 2 minutes loop time, so if you're thinking about looping your entire song that would probably not work for you.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Are you familiar with the line in the movie _Risky Business_... "Porsche... there is no substitute"...

Well, I'm going to steal that line: FACE TO FACE LESSONS... there is no substitute.

I've been playing and teaching music for a LONG time and have been on both side of the money transaction. I have tried several online programs-and I can tell you definitively, that in person private lessons, even with decades of playing under my belt jump start my improvement 10-fold. You probably know that about private lessons already. But like me and many others, we have to try other things just to see.

IMO you should do yourself a favor and find a good teacher that relates to you and watch your skills soar.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd say close... I think the Ditto X2 is only 2 minutes loop time, so if you're thinking about looping your entire song that would probably not work for you.
Ditto X2 will give you 5 minutes of recording time.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:49 AM

I like the iOS app Anytune. It slows down songs, loops sections, uses bookmarks, displays lyrics, and even changes pitches and keys. It probably does a lot more stuff that I don’t use.

Cool little app.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Scared me there for a minute ...

Stopped by my local Guitar store last night to look at what they have (I like to buy from them first - good local folks with a great reputation). They didnt have a drum backer at all, at least not even close to my budget, and the only looper they had was a Boss with only one button (which did have 10 tracks of drums). So I came home and ordered up the stuff I mentioned (beat buddy, and a ditto X2). Should be here Friday, so looking forward to some fun.

The scary thing is I spent a lot of time ogling the wall of guitars in the showroom. This. Is. A. Bad. Idea.

On another topic, clearly a consistent suggestion here is playing with others, and back to private lessons. Both will happen... Have an aggressive travel schedule the rest of this quarter, so the return of lessons will be delayed a bit, but Im clearly convinced that will jump start me. I have made tons of progress since my last lesson, and I have some pretty clear objectives that I want to attack that can really use the skills of a professional.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
I like the iOS app Anytune. It slows down songs, loops sections, uses bookmarks, displays lyrics, and even changes pitches and keys. It probably does a lot more stuff that I don’t use.

Cool little app.

Second this suggestion. In fact before buying a looper, I’d suggest downloading this app and using it to loop yourself, with a metronome, both for listening and your own backing tracks.

I have a looper but rarely use it since Anytune is always at hand. If you and an mp3 speaker for your phone, even better.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Justinguitar.com

Solid, well organized curriculum. Beginner to expert levels. As much theory and practical stuff as you could ever want. Entirely free but accepts donations.

Check him out!

Tim
Old 01-16-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I used to use an online tab source called songsterr. (For finger style)

Google it. It has tabs/notation with a play feature. It will play the tune, slow it down and also loop sections.

Thanks. I have heard of songsterr and may check it out. I am focusing on fingerstyle now.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
YouTube now has the capability for controlling playback speed without changing the pitch, and doing a reasonable job at maintaining the sound quality. And of course, you can pause, rewind, etc.

You can use this to slow down the songs you’re trying to learn to as low as 25%. A lot of people who put covers on YouTube shoot the videos so you can see their hands, which makes the slowdown feature even more useful for learning.
I looked at a few songs on YouTube and it wasn't readily obvious how you can do this. Does anyone know how to do this?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighJC View Post
Scared me there for a minute ...

Stopped by my local Guitar store last night to look at what they have (I like to buy from them first - good local folks with a great reputation). They didnt have a drum backer at all, at least not even close to my budget, and the only looper they had was a Boss with only one button (which did have 10 tracks of drums). So I came home and ordered up the stuff I mentioned (beat buddy, and a ditto X2). Should be here Friday, so looking forward to some fun.

The scary thing is I spent a lot of time ogling the wall of guitars in the showroom. This. Is. A. Bad. Idea.

On another topic, clearly a consistent suggestion here is playing with others, and back to private lessons. Both will happen... Have an aggressive travel schedule the rest of this quarter, so the return of lessons will be delayed a bit, but Im clearly convinced that will jump start me. I have made tons of progress since my last lesson, and I have some pretty clear objectives that I want to attack that can really use the skills of a professional.
Sorry for the scare, oddly their X2 "JAM" is listed for 2 minutes loop capability.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the scare, oddly their X2 "JAM" is listed for 2 minutes loop capability.
All good, no apology necessary, just would have meant it was going to go back quickly. I think 5 will get it done. I wish it would save a loop, but that seems to take another level of expense.

The whole rig is supposed to arrive tomorrow, am looking forward to playing around with it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion