The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Default Temp and Humidity Question

OK so I have been storing my guitars in a small storage room that is around
8' x 8'. I run a humidifier or dehumidifier depending on the time of year, with the door closed. But the possible issue is that for some reason, the heat doesn't reach that room as well as it should and the temperature is that room can be 8-10 degrees less (around 60-62) than the rest of the house (68-69).
Is 60-62 too cold for an acoustic and will bringing it out into the living room, which is 68-69 be an issue? Should I consider changing my guitar storage area to a different room in the house? I only picked this spot because its small and easier to regulate humidity. If I move it, it will have to be into a much larger spare bedroom that's about 25' x 25'. Another idea would be to only move them during the winter to a warmer room and use humidipaks in the cases.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:09 AM

The temperature is fine. The change of 8 to 10 degrees from storage to playing conditions shouldn't cause issues.

What matters, mostly, an acceptable relative humidity and avoiding sudden large changes in temperature.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM

I store two guitars in a slightly cooler area (where it is in an acceptable range of humidity) than you do and bring them out to play in the same 68 degrees Fahrenheit and one is not happy at all - not a matter of any damage to the finish or anything but rather a ‘closing up’, lack of responsiveness. I don’t think a rapid change of temperature on a regular basis is good for some all solid wood guitars.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 AM

The humidity is kept at 45-55. I am just worried that going from 60 to 68 all the time might be problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The temperature is fine. The change of 8 to 10 degrees from storage to playing conditions shouldn't cause issues.

What matters, mostly, an acceptable relative humidity and avoiding sudden large changes in temperature.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:08 PM

Not to worry; you're cool.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

You’re over-thinking things.

If the RH is in range, and the temperatures are comfortable for you, your guitars are happy. 60F to 68F (16C to 20C in real money!) is a small change - you’re wasting energy worrying about it.

Stop worrying. Play more.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-21-2020, 12:52 PM

I wouldn't be concerned with it.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Jack, Ii believe that temperature DOES affect guitars.
in 2017, I became ill and had a lot of medical treatment with a long recovery. My guitars mostly lived through the winter in their cases in their normal storage places in the house - albeit by the wall which faces the winter winds.
when I could, i checked the RH which was not abnormal, but the temps went down to low '60s.

Upon my recovery I discovered tat two of my Collings guitars became very buzzy. I had both worked on by my tech, and in frustration had them "plecked"
The problem persisted to the point where I sold one, but after a year, the one I kept resumed it's normal tonality.
IMO - short term excesses (temp or RH) don't hurt much, but continued extremes of either an have negative effects.
As they say, if you are comfortable, neither are your instruments!"
Old 01-21-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post

If the RH is in range, and the temperatures are comfortable for you, your guitars are happy. 60F to 68F (16C to 20C in real money!) is a small change - you’re wasting energy worrying about it.

+1

The temps the OP mentioned are completely acceptable IMO.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I have noticed that when the sun hits my RH digital meter the readout shows a higher temperature reading and the RH number decreases. Later in the day after the sun moves and the meter is no longer showing a higher temperature the RH reading increases. I'm just saying …….

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-21-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have noticed that when the sun hits my RH digital meter the readout shows a higher temperature reading and the RH number decreases. Later in the day after the sun moves and the meter is no longer showing a higher temperature the RH reading increases. I'm just saying …….
Saying what though? Are you trying to convince us that there's just a single beam of sunlight that falls only on your meter at a certain time of the day? If not then the entire room is probably slightly warming and RH changes as it will do. The key term is "relative".
Old 01-21-2020, 02:13 PM

Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion