The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Default NPD - Dunlop MC404 CAE Wah

Okay so now I feel really dumb. I hadn’t gotten a wah pedal yet because I was intimidated. One of those devices where you better have something to say if you step on it. It was time though. My slow pedal board build needed the next piece.

So I finally got one today and it’s clear I was totally missing out - Dunlop MC404 CAE. I did some research and this got great reviews. Two different wah options that both sound great. One is the classic Dunlop wah and one is a bit darker. Also has a built in boost option that I honestly put little thought into at first. I have an EP Booster at the back end of the chain already. But boosting from the front with this really gives a whole new voice to the dirt section (it especially sounds super killer with my Hoof fuzz). And the build quality of this thing is through the roof. I’m not an expert on circuitry so this is about as in depth as I can get!

It was used but you cannot tell. What a great Friday UPS package. I now have plans tonight!

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Hey Mich - congrats on your wah! Are you placing it immediately after your guitar (first in the chain)?

Have fun.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Mich - congrats on your wah! Are you placing it immediately after your guitar (first in the chain)?

Have fun.
Thanks! I plopped it down right up front, even ahead of the tuner. It has true bypass so I think I’m okay. Pedal board is getting cramped but I use Lava cables with pancake ends so they can get right up next to each other.

Wah > Tuner > POG > Fuzz > Distortion > Overdrive > Electric Mistress (flanger/chorus) > Delay > EP Booster

Phase 90 currently on the bench.

I really like the current board. I spent a fair amount of time looking for great lightly used deals. Almost everything was a good 40% below new. I don’t want to add up prices as I’d potentially havd regrets lol.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Great board.

Fuzz in one of those pedals that most people tend to like first in the chain. I think it's because the guitar's output is high impedance and that is what the fuzz likes. Have you tried the fuzz there? Doesn't mean that it doesn't sound good where it is in your board now though.

If you have time a good experiment would be to try the wah in front and then behind the fuzz and let us know if you hear any differences.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Great board.

Fuzz in one of those pedals that most people tend to like first in the chain. I think it's because the guitar's output is high impedance and that is what the fuzz likes. Have you tried the fuzz there? Doesn't mean that it doesn't sound good where it is in your board now though.

If you have time a good experiment would be to try the wah in front and then behind the fuzz and let us know if you hear any differences.
I haven’t moved stuff around a great deal. But sounds like fun to me! One of the bigger reason I haven’t is the industrial strength Velcro I use. The stuff is insane.

Fuzz is finicky for sure. My Nano Big Muff was a bit over the top. Love the EarthQuaker Devices Hoof. More “organic” and can be stacked. Sounds good with my Wampler Sovereign distortion (with one of the two bringing more of the highs and the other more of the lows).

I did try the EP booster up front at one point but prefer it last. Putting that on with the JHS Angry Charlie makes for angry neighbors. That Angry Charlie never sounds bad in any application.
I don’t prefer pedals that have large “dead zones“ in the settings that you can’t use. This JHS is unreal. On very low gain it does blues, jazz, anything like that. But then you could blow a speaker on high gain and both sound great. I sold a Boss Blues Driver because it either sounded great or horrible. The JHS and Wampler cover that realm both with the gain low.

A setting I have been enjoying lately is subtle fuzz but adding both the flanger and chorus barely on with the Electric Mistress. It gives a rotary type effect.

I haven’t experimented with the timing based pedals through the effects loop of my amp. The reason I haven’t is because I’m always on the clean channel of my Bassbreaker so I’m not sure it matters much. When buying an amp it was that or a Blues Junior. I probably could have gone with the blues Junior. I tend to just leave the amp as is and control gain with my feet. The dirty channels sound great though actually.

This wah likes my Tele more than humbuckers. But often my issue with buckers is higher gain at low volume at home. Gets muddy.

Time to experiment!

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-20-2018, 09:10 PM

I put the fuzz up front. It didn’t seem to change how it worked. And I love how it sounds after the boosted wah. And I think I need the Micro POG (polyphonic octave generator) close to the front because I think it needs a true signal to do its thing. It is a great pedal. You can make your guitar sound like a 12 string, thicken up chords (it is used by many on tour to recreate parts that were multi-tracked in studio), or you can get outrageous and go all Jack White with it.

It’s a good thing the guy who built me my pedal board (wooden with torched top, sides painted my college’s color green) talked me into a bigger one. Since I don’t play out, thought it would be cool to have a unique one, which is also inexpensive.

Still perfecting the art of the wah. When it sounds good it sounds good. When it doesn’t... yikes. Operator error.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 11-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
I put the fuzz up front. It didn’t seem to change how it worked. And I love how it sounds after the boosted wah. And I think I need the Micro POG (polyphonic octave generator) close to the front because I think it needs a true signal to do its thing. It is a great pedal. You can make your guitar sound like a 12 string, thicken up chords (it is used by many on tour to recreate parts that were multi-tracked in studio), or you can get outrageous and go all Jack White with it.

It’s a good thing the guy who built me my pedal board (wooden with torched top, sides painted my college’s color green) talked me into a bigger one. Since I don’t play out, thought it would be cool to have a unique one, which is also inexpensive.

Still perfecting the art of the wah. When it sounds good it sounds good. When it doesn’t... yikes. Operator error.
Is it a piece of plywood? That's what mine is, painted black with a couple of 'feet' at the back to angle it. Very effective, although I'd like to check out those Holeyboards.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Is it a piece of plywood? That's what mine is, painted black with a couple of 'feet' at the back to angle it. Very effective, although I'd like to check out those Holeyboards.
The top is two boards, I forget what kind of wood, torched and coated. Sides and back are a cool green. It has angled sides and a back with a drilled hole for the power supply cord. Thee power supply is hidden below. It really wouldn’t be hard to take someplace but it wasn’t done with portability in mind. The sides and back are sitting on the floor, so it is not moving at all. The guy who made it for me is a great dude. He was a wealth of info on guitars, pedals, etc. I think he likes doing it more than using it to make money.

The Holeyboards are a very well designed product.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars