The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 AM

Smile Emerald X7 (v3) review

Edit Note: this is about version 3 not version 2 of the X7. It has the offset angled sound hole and larger body size. I haven't played any of the previous versions but do have a 24" 12 fret Larrivee parlor that I have since converted to Nashville tuning.

I have an X7 in the new design with extended fret access, ordered July 2018 and delivered right on time October 2018. I had Emerald install a K&K passive pickup (works great with my Red-Eye preamp) as the only customization.

The specs are perfect: 24" parlour length plays well with medium strings (puts tension close to 25.5" with lights vs 24.5 or other "in-between" scales); extended access cutaway helps immensely with certain songs in repertoire conceived on 14 fret necks with Venetian cutaways and when capoing on 5th fret or higher; compact travel-friendly design; good hardware; low friction compact headstock design; 1.75" nut width (11/16 is a bit narrow for fingerstyle).

Still I had significant reservations about buying without ever playing or hearing in person. But I had a great exchange over email and worked everything out, and put money down on the build. Nothing fancy (standard transparent carbon paint).

I waited with trepidation. The build schedule timeline they gave me was right on the money. They shipped it. I waited with trepidation again for it to arrive.

Let's get this out of the way: The guitar is beautiful. But I don't care how it looks. I care how it sounds and feels. In a word: amazing. Comfy to play, large dynamic range (from very soft to very loud!), beautiful harmonic resonance that gives the guitar a live, reverberant feel. Like I have to reign it in a little. Not a bad thing. The extra oomph is there to really make it sing when needed! Often even my best guitars can sound a little dead under a capo. This one shines and shimmers.

Fit and finish seem impeccable. In short, it strikes me as a guitar both lovingly designed and built by people who really care about the music and musician. That says a lot to me. Thank you Emerald! I have no reservations about my purchase. I am now considering replacing my expensive wood guitars (solid sitka and Indian Rosewood steel and nylon) with Emeralds for the durability, consistency (tuning and tone) and peace of mind (humidity considerations) of carbon fiber. I never thought I would seriously consider doing that! But I am! The only reason I would keep other guitars is for recording work (specific niche tones and voicings).

Last edited by ethanay; 09-22-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: changing thread title for accuracy to v3
Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF and congratulations on the new X-7. You'll find lots of love for those around here. Enjoy the forum.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:08 AM

Nice buy...you done good...and a great first post.... the X7 is just so comfy to play. It is a bonus that they are so good to look at.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new X7.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Guest 928

Very nice report, thank you. I think you will be equally pleased with any future Emeralds on your list. I've focused on Emerald nylon string instruments and enjoyed the ability to help design a personalized guitar. Enjoy.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Good read and welcome to the Forum. Congrats on a great guitar.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:05 PM

Question Thank you!

Thank you for the warm welcome! To give some context, my other guitars:
1. Goodall grand concert (Rosewood/Sitka) Venetian w/K&K
2. A custom Rosewood/sitka Venetian nylon w/K&K
3. Larrivee parlor (Sitka/mohagony). My old travel guitar but thinking about high stringing it.
4. Tacoma Papoose (recent addition, found in a deceased relative's collection with a large crack in the top and was going to be thrown out! Repair was well worth it)
5. A woody flame frankenstrat and Warmoth birdseye maple neck, V/T + passive midboost via SD alnico II
6. Breedlove spruce/maple KF-style mandolin w/K&K (US-made but no binding, etc)
7. Now the Emerald X7 w/K&K

It seems like too much so I am looking to downsize to focus more on playing and less on maintenance. And free up mental/storage space. I really enjoy the focus of fewer instruments but have repertoire (instrumental and vocal) across steel, nylon, mando, and piano.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I believe you are morally and perhaps legally required to post photos of new guitars. Or, failing that, what color didja get???

I know you said you don't care much about the looks, but you had to choose a color, right? Even if it's black, these are details we must know.

Oh, and congratulations! I have one of last year's model X7 and love it too.

-Ray
Old 11-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Guest 928

Every thing that
Ray said.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Every thing that EvanB said....
Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Default Pics

X7 I like the "natural" carbon color and find it less distracting. In general I prefer clear finishes
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ui4ECt5M2FWe8e4x8

Custom nylon string:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J7A23h7BoURpawQRA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eGBWrgv5RnoTomWf7

Frankenstrat/partscaster:
https://goo.gl/photos/2wfFnXkxiYXTEac37

Last edited by ethanay; 11-17-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Trying to get photo links to show
Old 11-16-2018, 07:46 PM

(Ok was able to get them to show as links...is there instructions somewhere for posting photos?)

Last edited by ethanay; 11-17-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Nylon discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Very nice report, thank you. I think you will be equally pleased with any future Emeralds on your list. I've focused on Emerald nylon string instruments and enjoyed the ability to help design a personalized guitar. Enjoy.
I have already talked with Kevin about how we might do up a nylon. 12 fret joint (extended access cutaway), full 52mm nut width (not a problem for me switching and the strings really need the extra space), maybe shorter 640mm scale for my small hands (but I really like full scale hard tension strings, maybe could go up to extra hard tension)

Do you have links to or recommend any posts or threads about your (or other) nylon experiences? Nylon is a different beast in construction so I want to make sure the carbon fiber is adjusted in dimensions and bracing and voiced accordingly for balance and projection.

My X7 of course sounds different than my Goodall but I would not necessarily consider it a downgrade, more a sidegrade. Especially considering how well it fits my small 5'7"/170cm frame and fingers.

But I am overseas living out of a backpack and will need to do some A-B comparisons when I return. As much as I love my Goodall to be honest it feels a little big in body and scale. This might be an opportunity not only to downsize my instruments but also replace with designs that truly fit my body.

Last edited by ethanay; 11-16-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Guest 928

Ethanay;

Here's the thing with Emerald--you can design what you want. I've had short and long scales, center and offset sound holes, 7,10, and 20 sizes, acoustic/electrics and electric/acoustics, and full and thin-bodied instruments.

My point is that Alistair can make whatever you think you want. Nylon string guitars have been one my few indulgences and Emerald has been a great playground for me.

What's been particularly nice is that while Emerald can make anything you want, that doesn't mean Alistair will. I've wanted a few thing that he refused to do because they were stupid and not worth the time. That's been good for me; almost like having another wife to keep me from going overboard.

In short, I recommend that you spend a lot a time piecing together your ideal guitar, and then see what Alistair says.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Thanks EvanB, wonderful overview/summary of your experience. Do you have any discussions on this forum or elsewhere about the results of your own custom experiments?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon, scale length, travel