The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Default New Speaker Day

I'm not ready for a "good" amp, so I'm just playing around with my 40 watt solid state Mustang 2 while I learn my way around getting different tones. 12" no-name speaker with a relatively small magnet. I'd heard the Mustang benefited from a neutral (due to the modeling) speaker with a larger magnet. I saw the Mustang 3 came with a Celestion G12T-100 (The 3 is a 100 s/s amp) that lots of users didn't feel need to be changed, as it sounded pretty good. I determined a 75 watt version of that might work for me.

I found a used Celestion G12T-75 and installed it. The original speaker had a ground or some other kind of strap between the circuit board and the electrical attachment area, so I duplicated that by running the strap to one of the speaker mounting screws, as there was no equivalent place to put it, as on the original speaker.

I'm looking for that solid head/chest-rumbling-but-still-quiet boom you get from a well-designed 5w Princeton boutique clone (think Frisell on NPR, Carr Mercury, Milkman Half-Pint). The Celestion is definitely more responsive, louder, and has more depth, but I don't think I've sidestepped a tube amp, soundwise. Probably OK for now, as I play with the modeling.

Problem - I don't recall much buzz or hum with the original speaker (a little on some amp/cab models), but the Celestion, perhaps due to its responsiveness, the ground strap, or something else, seems to have more noticeable hum, the kind that's mostly reduced/killed when you grab some strings. Humbucker guitar for this test, so pickups shouldn't be a factor. It's improved if I use the amp's noisegate at a high enough setting, but that kills a little top end I'd like to keep (think Frisell).

Now, I am sitting in front of the amp (2-3 ft), with it on a desk, so at/above guitar level, so maybe, given the larger size of the magnet, I'm too close, getting some kind of feedback etc, so will experiment with that. Same positioning as for the original speaker, however.

Anyone have thoughts about what might be causing increased hum under these facts? Position change? Leave ground strap off? Live with it as the price of more responsiveness? Let's assume I know "get a better amp." Thanks

EDIT: I should add that the amp is connected to my iMac, with the iMac between me/guitar and the amp, so there could be some interference from that setup, BUT, that's the same as it was with the stock speaker. Same cable used, too. I'm reading things about "ground loop hum." This vid is instructive, as its problem sound is like mine:

Might be my iMac and the amp fighting for the ground, and the "better" speaker just brings out noise that was already there, but less audible with the lesser speaker??

EDIT: I unplugged the USB from the iMac while iMac was lit - no change. I shut down the iMac - no change. Pretty good hum/buzz with just known good cable and guitar. That apparently leaves how it's plugged in, which is going to take more time as I've got a rat's nest of stuff plugged in through strips I'll have to isolate out. What I can't figure is why, with the same plug-in, iMac on, etc., the hum wasn't noticeable before (if it existed)?

EDIT: I think I fixed it. Looks like it's the loaded plug strip.

Tried the ground wire on/off - no difference. Tried different guitar (another HB) - same. Fingers touch the strings? Buzz goes way down.

Took amp and guitar into another room - clean A/c outlet - dramatic improvement to where it now is not silent, but more like master-at-6 normal amp hum, no buzz.

Took it back into problem room - plugged into original strip with other stuff - buzz came back. Moved amp closer to wall, avoiding loaded strip and plugged into wall a/c - same as in clean room - buzz is gone. Tried it again in strip (amp in same location on floor where it can reach both outlets) - buzz came back.

Reinstalled ground wire and confirmed that is not an issue. Now all I have to do is get a short 3-prong extension cord so I can go to the wall outlet. Thanks to all for the input that got me there.

Last edited by ChrisN; 11-10-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM

are you sure you correctly wired the speaker ? how does it connect to the chassis, with a 1/4" plug? check that too. can you try the speaker in another amp, if you have one? just quick thoughts. usually only two wires on the speaker so an added "ground" strap is confusing. what happens when you undo it?

how is everything plugged in to the ac? one powerstrip?

good luck!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Sometimes cellphone proximity affects the systems. Or cables. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
are you sure you correctly wired the speaker ? how does it connect to the chassis, with a 1/4" plug? check that too. can you try the speaker in another amp, if you have one? just quick thoughts. usually only two wires on the speaker so an added "ground" strap is confusing. what happens when you undo it?

how is everything plugged in to the ac? one powerstrip?

good luck!

play music!
Power strip is potentially an issue (but why different now?) that I'll work on next. I took the iMac out of the equation. Can't try the speaker elsewhere.

Re: Speaker connection - red and black wire to pos and neg, not 1/4". Used existing slide connector for red and had to solder red because Fender used a smaller slide connector that I don't have.

Re: Ground strap - I'll try removing it first. It runs from a screw on the circuit board to the old speaker, where it was soldered in the middle, between the 2 slide-on connectors (male). My research didn't find that any other changers experienced problems even when it was not reinstalled.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Power strip is potentially an issue (but why different now?) that I'll work on next. I took the iMac out of the equation. Can't try the speaker elsewhere.

Re: Speaker connection - red and black wire to pos and neg, not 1/4". Used existing slide connector for red and had to solder red because Fender used a smaller slide connector that I don't have.

Re: Ground strap - I'll try removing it first. It runs from a screw on the circuit board to the old speaker, where it was soldered in the middle, between the 2 slide-on connectors (male). My research didn't find that any other changers experienced problems even when it was not reinstalled.
how does red and black FROM speaker connect to amp? via 1/4" plug or hard wired inside chassis? check your soldering.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-09-2018, 02:03 PM

I think I fixed it. Looks like it's the loaded plug strip.

Tried the ground wire on/off - no difference. Tried different guitar (another HB) - same. Fingers touch the strings? Buzz goes way down.

Took amp and guitar into another room - clean A/c outlet - dramatic improvement to where it now is not silent, but more like master-at-6 normal amp hum, no buzz.

Took it back into problem room - plugged into original strip with other stuff - buzz came back. Moved amp closer to wall, avoiding loaded strip and plugged into wall a/c - same as in clean room - buzz is gone. Tried it again in strip (amp in same location on floor where it can reach both outlets) - buzz came back.

Reinstalled ground wire and confirmed that is not an issue. Now all I have to do is get a short 3-prong extension cord so I can go to the wall outlet.

What I still don't understand is why the speaker change, alone, was the catalyst for this issue. Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by ChrisN; 11-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I think I fixed it. Looks like it's the loaded plug strip.

Reinstalled ground wire and confirmed that is not an issue. Now all I have to do is get a short 3-prong extension cord so I can go to the wall outlet.
be careful with extension cords. do you have another power strip?

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
be careful with extension cords. do you have another power strip?
Probably do. What would be the concern with a straight extension cord vs the strip?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:31 PM

possible noise introduction.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-09-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
possible noise introduction.

play music!
Ahh.

My only strip was missing the ground and I want that, so went with 3 ft heavy gauge extension w/ground. Sounds the same as if in the wall, so I'm happy.

The new speaker really deepens all of the available sounds, and warms up the brittle ones. I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds with the speaker change.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:04 PM

Good thread. It would seem speaker upgrade alone with all other variables unchanged revealed a unpleasant noise floor/ unsatisfactory signal to noise ratio. The ability of the new speaker to more clearly isolate and reproduce the signal is key.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Ahh.

My only strip was missing the ground and I want that, so went with 3 ft heavy gauge extension w/ground. Sounds the same as if in the wall, so I'm happy.

The new speaker really deepens all of the available sounds, and warms up the brittle ones. I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds with the speaker change.
great! glad you've resolved it. now....

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Good thread. It would seem speaker upgrade alone with all other variables unchanged revealed a unpleasant noise floor/ unsatisfactory signal to noise ratio. The ability of the new speaker to more clearly isolate and reproduce the signal is key.
That seems to be what happened. That suggests the original speaker wasn't very good at those things. It certainly didn't sound good, to me. The new speaker turned a mediocre amp into a "it'll do until my talent can justify better" amp.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 AM

Just have to add after some more time with the corrected amp that I'm amazed at the difference a better speaker made. In addition, it's made what I thought were pretty muddy HB pickups much more articulate and defined (epi '57'ish knock-offs), so I'm saving amp AND pickup $$ with the speaker change. I tested strat-type and p90 single coils and they, too, sound thicker/bolder/smoother through the better speaker. Happy day.

To anyone with a so-so solid state amp, I'd suggest researching what others have liked when making a change, then listening to sound clips offered by the makers to choose. Beware the "flavor of the day" where a bunch of people follow one guy and try a particular model, only to find it fit that guy's needs better than theirs. If you have a modeling amp that mimics cabinets and other amps, consider getting a more neutral speaker that doesn't add too much of its own flavor, in order to let the modeling do its job.

Very impressed with the change!

Last edited by ChrisN; 11-10-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Just have to add after some more time with the corrected amp that I'm amazed at the difference a better speaker made. In addition, it's made what I thought were pretty muddy HB pickups much more articulate and defined (epi '57'ish knock-offs), so I'm saving amp AND pickup $$ with the speaker change. I tested strat-type and p90 single coils and they, too, sound thicker/bolder/smoother through the better speaker. Happy day.

To anyone with a so-so solid state amp, I'd suggest researching what others have liked when making a change, then listening to sound clips offered by the makers to choose. Beware the "flavor of the day" where a bunch of people follow one guy and try a particular model, only to find it fit that guy's needs better than theirs. If you have a modeling amp that mimics cabinets and other amps, consider getting a more neutral speaker that doesn't add too much of its own flavor, in order to let the modeling do its job.

Very impressed with the change!
Good info. It could also be the larger magnet on the Celestion picked up more electrical hum from surrounding components, in this case specifically the power bar, than the stock speaker.

I notice the generation three Mustang GT-100 rated at 100 watts comes stock with a Fender special design Celestion 12” speaker which you have mentioned from other reports is a good performer that doesn’t require upgrading. The amp has 5/8ths plywood cabinet and weighs in at a mere 22lbs. Sounds like a winner for home use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars