The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Default 3 Beneteau Guitars Tonewood Comparison

Choosing which guitars to use for specific songs on an upcoming album is a daunting task, so I figured I'd put them in front of some trusty Neumann KM-184's and see how they sounded out front to get an idea of the different characteristics each tonewood and body shape bring to the table. They all have European tops, with some subtleties, being what region they're from. The back and sides are all vastly different in character, though. All are strung with fresh D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings.

Marc Beneteau's guitars are the very best that I've come across for my music, not to mention the most comfortable. It's hard to pick an overall favorite between these three, so what's yours?

Guitar 1: Concert Standard (Euro/African Blackwood)
Guitar 2: Model M (Carpathian/Mun Ebony)
Guitar 3: Super Jumbo (Alpine/Black Walnut)

(All guitars strung with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1q...ature=youtu.be

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

Last edited by Dustinfurlow; 11-09-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Well, all three of them sounded good to me, Dustin! I don't see how you can make a bad choice there!

- Glenn
Old 11-07-2018, 06:43 PM

Hi Justin! Wow, what a line-up!!!

I've listened through twice......super enjoyable, you really have those segments under your fingers.....tremendous playing.

I think.......(can't be sure, they're all superb),:
I like the first two for stuff in standard tuning, and
I like guitar #3 for alternate tunings. In guitar #3 I'm hearing this as more "musical" in some way. That it tells a "story" just slightly better with an instrumental. It's hard for me to put words to tone, but I just came up with that it seems in some way to be more "musical".....if that makes sense??

Wonderful clips......congrats on the new guitar......lovely in all ways.
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-08-2018, 05:00 AM

Wonderful sounding guitars! However; The Jumbo to me is so full and complete sounding. Like a Grand concert piano.
Wonder playing / musicianship!
Of the three the Jumbo is my favorite.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Echoing the previous posters, while I found all three delightful, the jumbo stood out among the three.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Well, all three of them sounded good to me, Dustin! I don't see how you can make a bad choice there!

- Glenn
I agree, I just like to know which works best for certain tempos, tunings and dynamics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Justin! Wow, what a line-up!!!

I've listened through twice......super enjoyable, you really have those segments under your fingers.....tremendous playing.

I think.......(can't be sure, they're all superb),:
I like the first two for stuff in standard tuning, and
I like guitar #3 for alternate tunings. In guitar #3 I'm hearing this as more "musical" in some way. That it tells a "story" just slightly better with an instrumental. It's hard for me to put words to tone, but I just came up with that it seems in some way to be more "musical".....if that makes sense??

Wonderful clips......congrats on the new guitar......lovely in all ways.
Fred
Thanks man! I agree with you strongly, the SJ is awesome when there’s open strings to work it, just sounds like a cathedral. In standard it gets “tight” but not to say it sounds bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Wonderful sounding guitars! However; The Jumbo to me is so full and complete sounding. Like a Grand concert piano.
Wonder playing / musicianship!
Of the three the Jumbo is my favorite.
Thank you so much, of the three that is the one I commissioned myself, makes me happy to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDR20 View Post
Echoing the previous posters, while I found all three delightful, the jumbo stood out among the three.
Thanks so much for the input!!

Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM

For standard tuning and DADGAD I liked the Super Jumbo the most.
For capo'ed tunes Model M.

Great playing, you make those guitars sing
Old 11-09-2018, 03:34 AM

Listened as best I could on YT: For me, the ABW model is the pick - sounded just a touch richer and thicker than the others.

Of course, with the guitar in my hands, I’d likely come to the opposite conclusion! It’s clear that all three are superb instruments.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Enjoyed listening and interesting to hear the differences in the same maker's guitars. I can understand your dilemma - that's what comes from having so much choice of somewhat similar guitars. Have you thought of trying different strings as well - say NBs?

Overall I thought the ebony Model M didn't match up for the style of music you play, for instance I thought is suited Abigail's lullaby well except for some crucial bass notes - but it came close, even an interesting alternative on the last 2 especially Skykomish River.

I liked the ABW Concert for most of your tunes, but the walnut jumbo handled Abagail's Lullaby best for me, and perhaps Only Autumn...

Good luck with the album - it promises to be a good one!

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 AM

They all sound wonderful, but for me the one I like best on almost all pieces is the Concert standard - beautifully balanced and controlled.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
For standard tuning and DADGAD I liked the Super Jumbo the most.
For capo'ed tunes Model M.

Great playing, you make those guitars sing
Thank you so much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Listened as best I could on YT: For me, the ABW model is the pick - sounded just a touch richer and thicker than the others.

Of course, with the guitar in my hands, I’d likely come to the opposite conclusion! It’s clear that all three are superb instruments.

Cheers,
Steve
They all have very different characters for sure..I appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Enjoyed listening and interesting to hear the differences in the same maker's guitars. I can understand your dilemma - that's what comes from having so much choice of somewhat similar guitars. Have you thought of trying different strings as well - say NBs?

Overall I thought the ebony Model M didn't match up for the style of music you play, for instance I thought is suited Abigail's lullaby well except for some crucial bass notes - but it came close, even an interesting alternative on the last 2 especially Skykomish River.

I liked the ABW Concert for most of your tunes, but the walnut jumbo handled Abagail's Lullaby best for me, and perhaps Only Autumn...

Good luck with the album - it promises to be a good one!
Thank you, I whole heartedly agree with everything you said. The Model M to me is more of a flatpicker and standard tuning guitar. Maybe because it’s scale length is 25.4 vs the other two which are 25.75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
They all sound wonderful, but for me the one I like best on almost all pieces is the Concert standard - beautifully balanced and controlled.
I am starting to gravitate more towards it as well, there’s no frequency that dominates the other.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:03 PM

All three were different but nothing stood out as better than the other (in my opinion). Sounded great by the way , unbelievable! can’t wait to hear the recordings of your new work. The first guitar had the most direct sound, the second one had the sweetest sound, and the jumbo harmonics were jumping off the board
Old 11-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
All three were different but nothing stood out as better than the other (in my opinion). Sounded great by the way , unbelievable! can’t wait to hear the recordings of your new work. The first guitar had the most direct sound, the second one had the sweetest sound, and the jumbo harmonics were jumping off the board
Thanks for the kind words Hasbro, I agree with all three of those statements. I have since found that I actually prefer nickel bronze strings for the CS model. While I still prefer PB on the Model M and the SJ. I think the NB's add a degree of crispness that works well with the warmth and richness of the Blackwood. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Choosing which of the three Beneteau guitars to play for the tunes on your upcoming album strikes me as a real "first world" kind of problem (lol). They all sound really fine. That said, the Model M has the most focused tone across the spectrum but the Super Jumbo has the biggest sound. I'd be inclined to go with the Model M for the more complex fingerstyle pieces and the Super Jumbo for strumming and slower/sparser atmospheric offerings. It goes without saying these observations are just my humble opinion and frankly there's no bad decision among the three options you've A/B'd.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Choosing which of the three Beneteau guitars to play for the tunes on your upcoming album strikes me as a real "first world" kind of problem (lol). They all sound really fine. That said, the Model M has the most focused tone across the spectrum but the Super Jumbo has the biggest sound. I'd be inclined to go with the Model M for the more complex fingerstyle pieces and the Super Jumbo for strumming and slower/sparser atmospheric offerings. It goes without saying these observations are just my humble opinion and frankly there's no bad decision among the three options you've A/B'd.
Thanks Trevor!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell