The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Concert last night: a lost opportunity

I took my wife to a concert last night. It was a band we've been listening to for thirty-five years, most of their life. This was an anniversary tour for them. I got their recent BluRay concert for Christmas and their latest album and we've really enjoyed them, so I know what they are capable of. Both efforts were really top-notch. This is a band that had nineteen albums, several top forty hits and a few albums that were filled with nothing but top forty-grade songs. I don't own their catalog, but I am pretty familiar with them. This is a great band.

So, we took our seats and they came on, starting with a song we'd never heard before that wasn't particularly good. The crowd responded with good energy so it must have been me. Okay, we got their clinker out of the way for the night. The second song was one of their hits and they hit the nail on the head. The crowd stood and went wild. Then they announced that they were doing a "deep cut." Once again, they launched into a song I'd never heard that was pretty dull. The crowd sat down and listened patiently and then clapped mildly enthusiastically. That was followed by another deep cut. The crowd sat for it.

By the end of the first hour they hadn't surfaced another well-know song and the crowd was kind of looking around at each other. Then the bandleader said, "Okay, everyone get up for this one. This is a song you can party to! I promise you." It felt like an apology. They did indeed do one of their well-know hits and the crowd went nuts again. Then it was back into the deep cuts, seated audience, and desultory applause. These weren't even good songs. By an hour and a half, people were leaving and/or distracted, texting on their phones. I was checking my watch. Each time they launched into a song my wife and I looked at each other, knowing neither of us knew the song. I'm a lead guitarist, but every time their EXCELLENT lead guitarist launched into a lead I winced and thought, "Save it for your good material!" By the approach of the end of the concert we'd only had the two hits we knew and snippets of a couple more sneaked into an "acoustic" medley. I was looking at my watch and saying, "Hey, you don't have very long to fit in any significant material."

Then they announced "last song," and squirted out another hit. By then a quarter of the audience was gone, but we clapped. The encore was their biggest hit, but wasn't well done. It felt like too-little-too-late and the crowd reaction reflected that. The real last song was another deep cut no-one knew. We clapped, but not uproariously. The lights came up and the audience kind of looked around at each other with a, "what on earth did we just witness" look and streamed out. It was nearly two hours of deep cuts that few of the audience knew.

It was a bit like watching two hours of the "deleted scenes" on a director's cut of a movie... instead of the main feature. There's a reason why the deleted scenes are deleted. I rarely see one I like. There was little energy coming from the stage to the audience. It felt phoned in. I got the impression that the band knew they didn't make a good impression. My wife and I and the many folks who left early felt like we'd wasted our money. I've never had that sort of experience. I feel like every time I think of this band there will be a little asterisk by their name. It is a really weird feeling.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-07-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I took my wife to a concert last night. It was a band we've been listening to for thirty-five years, most of their life. This was an anniversary tour for them. I got their recent BluRay concert for Christmas and their latest album and we've really enjoyed them, so I know what they are capable of. Both efforts were really top-notch. This is a band that had nineteen albums, several top forty hits and a few albums that were filled with nothing but top forty-grade songs. I don't own their catalog, but I am pretty familiar with them. This is a great band.

So, we took our seats and they came on, starting with a song we'd never heard before that wasn't particularly good. The crowd responded with good energy so it must have been me. Okay, we got their clinker out of the way for the night. The second song was one of their hits and they hit the nail on the head. The crowd stood and went wild. Then they announced that they were doing a "deep cut." Once again, they launched into a song I'd never heard that was pretty dull. The crowd sat down and listened patiently and then clapped mildly enthusiastically. That was followed by another deep cut. The crowd sat for it.

By the end of the first hour they hadn't surfaced another well-know song and the crowd was kind of looking around at each other. Then the bandleader said, "Okay, everyone get up for this one. This is a song you can party to! I promise you." It felt like an apology. They did indeed do one of their well-know hits and the crowd went nuts again. Then it was back into the deep cuts, seated audience, and desultory applause. These weren't even good songs. By an hour and a half, people were leaving and/or distracted, texting on their phones. I was checking my watch. Each time they launched into a song my wife and I looked at each other, knowing neither of us knew the song. I'm a lead guitarist, but every time their EXCELLENT lead guitarist launched into a lead I winced and thought, "Save it for your good material!" By the approach of the end of the concert we'd only had the two hits we knew and snippets of a couple more sneaked into an "acoustic" medley. I was looking at my watch and saying, "Hey, you don't have very long to fit in any significant material."

Then they announced "last song," and squirted out another hit. By then a quarter of the audience was gone, but we clapped. The encore was their biggest hit, but wasn't well done. It felt like too-little-too-late and the crowd reaction reflected that. The real last song was another deep cut no-one knew. We clapped, but not uproariously. The lights came up and the audience kind of looked around at each other with a, "what on earth did we just witness" look and streamed out. It was nearly two hours of deep cuts that few of the audience knew.

It was a bit like watching two hours of the "deleted scenes" on a director's cut of a movie... instead of the main feature. There's a reason why the deleted scenes are deleted. I rarely see one I like. There was little energy coming from the stage to the audience. It felt phoned in. I got the impression that the band knew they didn't make a good impression. My wife and I and the many folks who left early felt like we'd wasted our money. I've never had that sort of experience. I feel like every time I think of this band there will be a little asterisk by their name. It is a really weird feeling.

Bob
How can you share this story and not name the band????

Did they have all the original members?
Old 11-07-2018, 11:38 AM

I waited for a band to see them live in concert for 45 years. I had the same experience It was small venue, so a meet and greet was suggested. It never happened. 45 years and only a few minutes time to meet the public. Every time I hear their signature tune, It makes me angry, just like it did after the concert and when I headed out on the highway home. Bands that were popular 50 years ago, should be thankful that they still have enthusiastic audiences.

Was the band a Jazz trio ?

Ed

Last edited by Edgar Poe; 11-07-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:10 PM

We saw James Taylor a few years back. Great show, and during intermission he came back on stage and signed stuff. But, he didn't sing Fire and Rain. Millisa Manchester was a surprise artist and a jazz festival, came out, sang three songs from a future project in the works, smiled and walked off. She started to thank a well known sax player in the back up band....then forgot the name and just pointed. Stuff happens.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
How can you share this story and not name the band???? Did they have all the original members?
It is easy: I don't really like to slag people in public. At this stage, what 70s or 80s band can you think of that still has all of the original members? People are dying.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
We saw James Taylor a few years back. Great show, and during intermission he came back on stage and signed stuff. But, he didn't sing Fire and Rain. Millisa Manchester was a surprise artist and a jazz festival, came out, sang three songs from a future project in the works, smiled and walked off. She started to thank a well known sax player in the back up band....then forgot the name and just pointed. Stuff happens.
I can't believe JT didn't play Fire and Rain. Maybe you missed it? Where was it and when? I wanna look up the set list to see if for myself. :-)
Old 11-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is easy: I don't really like to slag people in public. At this stage, what 70s or 80s band can you think of that still has all of the original members? People are dying.

Bob
I hope it's not Little Feat. Everything you described sounds like it could be them.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

In my experience it's usually the other way around. Just the hits, and no deep cuts.

Most recently though, We saw Jesse Colin Young at The Dakota. Perfect blend of the "popular:" Songbird, Ridgetop, T-Bone Shuffle, Get Together; but also some of the more awesome "deep tracks:" Before You Came, 4 in the Morning, Sugar Babe (better run like hell when the police come!).

Great, great show. Wonderful that he's gotten over Lyme Disease enough to perform again. His band was his son on bass and a group of other recent music school grads (youngsters!).
Old 11-11-2018, 08:38 PM

About 20 years ago a few friends and I drove 100 miles to see Leo Kottke, who is amazing but y'all know that. He was at a college campus in a theater that holds about 700. I don't know how many folks were there but it couldn't have been more than 100, maybe 150 tops.

Leo played about 8 songs, talked very little, and was awe inspiring in his playing. Then he took a break... we thought. After about 10 minutes someone from the college walked on stage and said the concert was over. Huh? That's it?

It was good but it was certainly short and much less than we expected.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 11-12-2018, 01:39 PM

I guess it's from growing up in the 60s & 70s but I don't go to a show to hear a band be a live jukebox of their greatest hits, I go to experience a live performance by that band.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Dunno who the band was - and I've never heard the expression "Deep cut" before , 'least not in a musical context.
Had to look it up, and found it on an "urban dictionary" (whatever that is).

i think that well known working bands are "allowed" to do new numbers surely?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN