The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Questions about cargo and 2018 new X7

Hi,

I am closing to pull a trigger to buy my first carbon fiber guitar.

Currently, I am trying to decide between Cargo and the new improve 2018 X7.

For me, the scale length is not an issue since I am good with both 22.75 and 24.

The price is close enough so that is not an issue either.

With that, I am hoping folks who owes both or have played both can comment on the following to help me to make the decision.

1. Play-ability
Especially neck profile
I have played Cargo which has a slim neck which I really like since i have small hand. There are post mentioning previous generation X7 has a much bulky neck compared with Cargo which makes me worried if the new X7 has the same kind of neck as the previous gen x7.

2. Sound
I like Cargo's sound based on my memory and quite a few yourtube videos
I only found two sound clips for the new X7 which sounds much brighter to my ear.
For the folks who owe or have played both, does cargo sound much darker than X7? I personally like darker sound (leaning to Martin) but want to make sure I am not ruling out the new X7 just because the sound is just a little bit brighter.

Since I often play guitar using Yamaha THR5A (a great acoustic amplifier),
I am interesting in hearing the amplified sound different as well.

I am a late beginner starting guitar in my late forties so it is very likely there are other major differences between these two guitars I overlooked, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chong
Old 10-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Hi Chong,

I've owned both a Cargo Raw and a 2017 X-7. I like them both, but they're very different. My Cargo had a wider (1 3/4") nut width than my X-7, but both have similar neck profiles... kinda gentle C-shapes and not bulky at all.

The tone represents a bigger difference. The Cargo is "bassier," especially the low E... it's very prominent. The X-7 is a much more balanced sound with a nice midrange.

I liked both guitars, but my X-7 has won out because the nut width is more comfortable and I prefer a well-balanced guitar. Best of luck!
Old 10-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Hi, Kerbie:

Is your X7 with with narrow nut width (custom order?)?

I thought 2017 X7 has 1 3/4 nut width as well.

There are several posts mentioned that 2017 X7 is brighter.
I was hoping the new updated 2018 X7 is slightly darker.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqxiao View Post

I'm sorry... yes, my X-7 has a custom 1 11/16" nut width which I need. I have not played a 2018 X-7, so I can't make that comparison. I would not call my X-7 "bright." I like its balance a lot, but it's not bright.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi, Kerbie:

Thanks
I can't weigh in on the Cargo, but I also have a 2017 X7, just purchased used. I also have an X20. I also wouldn't call the older X7 particularly bright, agree it's well balanced and nicely (to me) mid-rangey. But not a particularly strong low-end. From everything I've read the newer X7 is a fuller sounding instrument, partly because it's significantly larger in both width and depth (approx an inch in each dimension) and because it has the soundhole that projects both out and UP at the player. My X20 has that same type of soundhole and I'd say it makes a notable difference to how the PLAYER hears the guitar. Captain Jim recently did a thread on a new X10 in which he included a sound-clip of the older X7, the X10, and the X20. From the perspective of the microphone in front of the guitars, there's very little difference in volume between the three. But I can tell you that from my listening perspective as the player, the X20 sounds a LOT bigger than that earlier X7 with the front facing soundhole. Since the new X7 has the same type of soundhole as the X20, I'd imagine it would also sound a lot bigger from the player's perspective, and that's borne out from the user reviews I've read of it.

Again, nothing to add about the Cargo, but maybe that will help a little bit regarding the difference between the old and new X7...

-Ray
Old 10-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Thanks Ray.

That indeed helps. Based on my read so far, it seems everyone likes the new X7's sound.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Guest 928

I think Kerbie's comparison is right on.

What you'll find with CF guitars is that they are particularly sensitive to strings--you can change the dark and light nature of an instrument with string-choice. If you search the forum you will find a lot of references to how different CF instruments respond to different strings.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:28 PM

This is not recent, but I've owned a Cargo and an X7OS. I think the X7OS was the one in production until the 2018 revision but I'm not certain.

The Cargo was a more pleasant sounding instrument, but not quite loud enough to play for friends in a hotel room. Also I did not like the short scale length. I pestered the original CA and Peavey to see if they would make a 12 fret to the body Cargo which would bump the scale length to something around 25" which might improve the volume and fix the scale problem.

The X7OS had volume but was too bright for me and is irrelevant since that guitar is no longer sold.

Both guitars are long sold on eBay.

However, a Cargo is 35" total length and a RainSong CH-OM it 37.75". For not quite 3" you get a full scale length guitar that sounds and projects like a full sized instrument. It is also cheaper (typically 15% off MAP at MF when they run their monthly sale). It fits a Gator 3/4 GWE guitar case with exactly no room to spare (a case intended for Taylor Baby's and Martin LXs).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM

No matter what string/saddle combos I've tried, the Cargo always strikes me as slightly muted. I've never played it through an amp or miced and I removed the pickup in case the weight of the wiring produced a dampening effect, which I can't say with certainty that it did. It's bass is good, as mentioned.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM

Tuff call.... the new X7 is warmer that older ones I would say
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 10-14-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:39 AM

I have had the pleasure of playing both the Pre Peavey Cargo and new X7 side by side.

Refer to the Cargo post I put up. But the bottom line is this. They are both great guitars. I personally feel the Cargo has a much darker sound, and I love how much bass it has.

Also, as noted, if set up properly, the Cargo will blow your socks off! Kramster has owned Cargos and has never played one like mine.

I feel my Cargo is an excellent guitar, and I have to say, it's my go to now. I am small and it fits me so nicely.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
For me, the scale length is not an issue since I am good with both 22.75 and 24.
Emerald can probably make an X7 with 24"SL on the low E and a 22.75" SL on the high E.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 10-14-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Really appreciated.

I actually got a response from Emerald with regarding the neck as below.

==
The Previous X7 wasn't really bulky but sometimes because the neck is shorter it just looks bigger in comparison to length. The new X7 is a little bit smaller in profile. Its a very comfortable neck. Im sure you will love it. I spent a lot of time getting the profile just right on this one.

it has a nut width of 1 3/4" 45mm with a shallow C shape.
==

Based on the response, I think I should be ok with the profile.

The biggest advantage with Cargo for me is that I can buy it from Guitar center locally and try it out to see if I like it or not.
I might just do that and if Cargo doesn't work out, I will just order a new X7 hoping for the best.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I might just do that and if Cargo doesn't work out, I will just order a new X7 hoping for the best.
That's what I thought too, but I ended up loving my X-7! And, if by chance, you don't, I think you'd find it easy to sell.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I have had the pleasure of playing both the Pre Peavey Cargo and new X7 side by side.

Refer to the Cargo post I put up. But the bottom line is this. They are both great guitars. I personally feel the Cargo has a much darker sound, and I love how much bass it has.

Also, as noted, if set up properly, the Cargo will blow your socks off! Kramster has owned Cargos and has never played one like mine.

I feel my Cargo is an excellent guitar, and I have to say, it's my go to now. I am small and it fits me so nicely.
Hi Lisa, the two guitars that you played side by side, were they equally loud or one louder than the other?

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber