The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-16-2016, 11:12 PM

Default ArtistWorks - Bryan Sutton

Hi All,

I just purchased a 3 month subscription to Bryan Sutton's bluegrass flat picking lessons on the ArtistWorks platform. Does anyone here have experience with this particular set of lessons and if so, what is your opinion?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:21 PM

I've been to a few workshops, bought a few books and videos, taken a few private lessons. Bryan's lessons, instructional material and video exchange feedback is the best I've found. Some people are exceptional players but not the best teachers, Bryan is both.

I would suggest submitting a placement video as soon as you join, so he can evaluate your technique. I had to re-work my picking hand technique, to the point where I could barely play the guitar while I was adjusting. It was all worth it though. Now, better tone, more fluid.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

It seems good but I changed my mind about a course there and they refused to give me a refund. Buyer beware.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:07 AM

It's outstanding. As suggested already jump right into the video exchange process - that's what makes it all worthwhile.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
It seems good but I changed my mind about a course there and they refused to give me a refund. Buyer beware.
Ditto. I had a bit of an issue with a billing and requested a refund. Nothing but silence from 'customer service'.

Other than that, the concept is sound and the instructors are top notch.

D
Old 04-20-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user222 View Post
I've been to a few workshops, bought a few books and videos, taken a few private lessons. Bryan's lessons, instructional material and video exchange feedback is the best I've found. Some people are exceptional players but not the best teachers, Bryan is both.

I would suggest submitting a placement video as soon as you join, so he can evaluate your technique. I had to re-work my picking hand technique, to the point where I could barely play the guitar while I was adjusting. It was all worth it though. Now, better tone, more fluid.

Same here. Bryan's teachings have been nothing short of transformative revelations to me. But I, too, am in the process of relearning my right hand technique. It's arduous, and I know i still have quite a way to go in the dark, but I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel in the form of vastly improved tone and fluidity. After taking weekly lessons for many years, I started with Bryan's lessons a couple of months ago. His teaching is much more methodical, and he is able to support every learning objective of his lessons with convincing rationales, in other words why you should learn something in a certain way and not another. I'm a very "brainy" type of student, and lack of rationale or rationales I didn't find convincing used to be a major stumbling block I experienced with previous teachers.

Bryan's lessons are hands down the best investment I've ever made in regards to any aspect of my guitar journey.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-20-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Bryan's lessons are hands down the best investment I've ever made in regards to any aspect of my guitar journey.
This is great to hear. Sorry for the other guys' billing problems. I don't think I'm going to have an issue with that as I am thoroughly enjoying the lessons and already feel I'm improving.

It will probably be a while before I submit a video but I'll get around to it. I think it's pretty amazing that for what you pay you get feedback from someone of his caliber.

Even though I've been playing guitar for 15 years I'm starting all the way back at the basic videos in order to refresh in my mind fundamentals and work through some bad habits.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:33 PM

100% agree w/the positive reviews. Assuming you know what the program is all about & how it works (they make that pretty easy to do), it's the best instructional method I've encountered, and I've sampled most of the methods around, from live teachers to free Youtube and most stuff in between.

Bryan loves teaching flatpick bluegrass guitar and will make you feel welcome. In terms of technique and tone production, the bar is set high. He'll analyze your playing mechanics and shepherd you toward the most efficient playing and best acoustic tone you're capable of. His curriculum is very comprehensive and very well integrated across all the levels available. He's thorough, knowledgeable and personable - pretty hard to beat.

Let us know how it's going
Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 AM

I have been a member of Bryan's course for almost a year now. I have nothing but positive things to say about the material Bryan has created as well as the video exchange process.

I came to this course with very little knowledge of bluegrass playing. I have learned so much from Bryan! The video exchange process is fantastic. Being able see other players and the video responses with Bryan is also very educational

Customer service has also been very good. I am member of a couple other courses on the Artist Works site and had a billing issue when I renewed my membership. They responded and fixed my subscription. Sorry to hear of the experience Bluser100

Welcome to the site theoscarpaco! Look up my 1st VE and my last VE to see the improvements. As other's suggested jump in and submit a video for Bryan's feedback.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 PM

I keep thinking of jumping in.

What skill level would you think one should be to get the most out of the course? I know all of the open chords, but am quite slow changing. I can pick a simplified version of "Cripple Creek" and am working on a version of "Wildwood Flower". I am fairly comfortable with knowing notes in the first position. I am working through Flatpick Essentials Rhythm Volume 1 currently.

Would I be better off waiting to get chord changes cleaner? Or would I see a good benefit from the course now?

I realize it is hard to quantify another person's skills, but would rather wait to spend the money if I would benefit more at a later skill set.

- Matt
Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocent75 View Post
I keep thinking of jumping in...working on a version of "Wildwood Flower"...
It's really not a big commitment to join for a month (or 3) & see for yourself. I suggest you just do it. Lots of folks do that, then hop in for a year or more if they like it.
Wildwood flower is one of Bryan's curriculum tunes with basic, intermediate and advanced versions; tab, backing tracks, videos of Bryan teaching it to you.... You'll also find a bunch of video exchanges of other students who have done that tune (and all the tunes) along w/Bryan's responses, that you can watch as well as submitting your own.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 PM

The course has been on my radar for a long while. As soon as I get a few things ironed out and chisel myself some regular practice time (50hr work week and an almost 1 year old daughter) I am gonna join. My daughter like when I play so I have been playing more than practicing.

I appreciate the response and information.

- Matt
Old 04-28-2016, 05:11 AM

I would suggest that you are ready. Bryan has dozens of lessons on the site for the beginner to early beginner. Although I have been playing 30+ years I even went back to get his perspective and watch the basic "boom chuck" and how to hold a pick lessons.

Most of the tunes have 3 levels of arrangement (beginner, intermediate and advanced). Also, many have both the chord, rhythm part as well as the melody.

One suggestion would be to either sign up for the samples lessons (which are free). They open up 3 or lessons and you can see the content of the recorded curriculum as well as a few video exchanges from both Bryan and student.

Also, they do offer 1 month or 3 month plans at around $30 - $35 / month. Once you are enrolled you get to everyone's video exchanges.

Finally, on the topic of available time, I find courses like this actually help focus my practice time and provide that balance of technique and songs.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:25 AM

Still loving the lessons. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for Bryan to give you a video reply once it's in his queue.? I recorded and submitted my first one this evening.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 AM

Bryan typically replies in about a week. He tends to batch up 5 or 6 responses every few days. His replies are very detailed and usually run 10-15 minutes. I have one in the queue as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write