The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Default Opinions on the Godin A6

Hey guys, I know there are several other threads about this, so I am looking for fresh perspectives both pro and con on the Godin A6.

Just so you know, I am not looking for a do-it-all guitar. I understand the limitations of a single HB pickup and also hear that it is fairly dark tonewise (the HB).

I am looking for a guitar that will handle my acoustic stuff, which is mainly "strummy" and be able to retune it to open G for slide for my electric sets. Our longer gigs are both electric and acoustic, which require an electric in open G, an electric in E and an acoustic. It would lighten my load from 3 to 2 guitars. Our gigging vehicle is a Corolla (LOL, I know).

I am also weary of having a separate preamp, extra cable and feedback buster for acoustic stuff. I know that the Piezo tone is still a bit quacky but blending in the HB seems to eliminate much of that.

Don't tell me what I want to hear. Specific details on neck profile also wanted. Honest Pros and Cons both appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 AM

I gigged with an A6 Ultra for almost a year before switching to a T5z that I played almost exclusively for 3 years. I'm back to a regular acoustic now. The A6 Ultra has a much better "acoustic" tone, in particular if you blend a little humbucker with the UST. Inside, like the T5z, it is a ladder plus tone bar braced acoustic but with a much larger chamber than a T5z. I think the A6 Ultra is competitive with real acoustic guitars equipped with similar electronics. The T5z was a clear winner for the bridge electric pickup, Strat style pickup selector, and all the things that enables.

The pickup selector and POTs on the T5z are relatively fragile and won't hold up to real electric guitar usage (constantly switching pickups and adjusting volume). The A6 Ultra is not wired for fast changes so it does not matter.

I found the A6 neck pickup, with the treble fully boosted on the guitar, a good general purpose electric tone. I think for your usage plan an A6 Ultra would be perfect.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-30-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I gigged with an A6 Ultra for almost a year before switching to a T5z that I played almost exclusively for 3 years. I'm back to a regular acoustic now. The A6 Ultra has a much better "acoustic" tone, in particular if you blend a little humbucker with the UST. Inside, like the T5z, it is a ladder braced acoustic but with a much larger chamber than a T5z. I think the A6 Ultra is competitive with real acoustic guitars equipped with similar electronics. The T5z was a clear winner for the bridge electric pickup, Strat style pickup selector, and all the things that enables.

The pickup selector and POTs on the T5z are relatively fragile and won't hold up to real electric guitar usage (constantly switching pickups and adjusting volume). The A6 Ultra is not wired for fast changes so it does not matter.

I found the A6 neck pickup, with the treble fully boosted on the guitar, a good general purpose electric tone. I think for your usage plan an A6 Ultra would be perfect.
Thanks for your input Jon. I have been gigging for a while and really do prefer an acoustic for acoustic tone. I recently transitioned from playing only electric standing and acoustic seated to playing standing. There is a noticeable difference in connecting with the audience. I am more comfortable with the electric shape standing, thus my query. I won't replace my acoustics with it, just need a more comfortable shape standing with more familiar ergonomics.

Did you keep the 12's on the A6 or did you switch to a lighter gauge? I'm thinking 11's on it and 10's on my electrics..

Thanks again.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 PM

I played an Acousticaster 40th anniversary for several years (very similar to the A6 with a mini-hum rather than an HB at the neck) and found it did a most credible job of providing acoustic tones through my Fishman Loudbox. In fact, the only reason I sold it was that I am just not performing live anymore these days, so it really didn't make much sense for me to hold onto it. The neck was uber-comfortable for my hands.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Did you keep the 12's on the A6 or did you switch to a lighter gauge? I'm thinking 11's on it and 10's on my electrics.
It's been a while and I definitely did not use 10s, like I am today on my RainSong. I probably stuck with the factory gauge. BTW, I tried replacing the humbucker with a DiMarzio that was marketed for its brighter more single coil like tone thinking that would be a better general purpose electric tone, but I found the stock one with the on-board EQ set bright was a better sounding solution (also, because of the acoustic guitar string spacing and lack of a string ground I had to find one F-spaced and fully shielded which was possible due to the miracle of the Internet :~).

Jon Fields
Old 10-30-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
It's been a while and I definitely did not use 10s, like I am today on my RainSong. I probably stuck with the factory gauge. BTW, I tried replacing the humbucker with a DiMarzio that was marketed for its brighter more single coil like tone thinking that would be a better general purpose electric tone, but I found the stock one with the on-board EQ set bright was a better sounding solution (also, because of the acoustic guitar string spacing and lack of a string ground I had to find one F-spaced and fully shielded which was possible due to the miracle of the Internet :~).
Thanks. Did she play easy with 12's?

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 10-31-2018, 06:55 AM

My duo has been doing Sultans of Swing long enough to have been played on that A6 Ultra. It has a shim-able bolt on neck and a truss rod, so anything is possible with a little effort.

Here is the old Sweetwater picture. It had a koa veneer on the cedar top.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_D...ew?usp=sharing

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
godin a6, godin a6 ultra, hybrid acoustic