The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-25-2018, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Electric fingerstyle

I play a fair amount of travis style but my retired carpenters shoulders want a slim guitar. For around 2500 for guitar and amp what would be my best choice? Thanks
Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 AM

That is so personal. But I ended up with a MJT thinline tele with Lundgren BJFE pickups. Responds wonderfully to my fingers.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 07-25-2018, 09:32 AM

You should take the advantage of this perceived need to do some pleasant shopping.

I haven't done much fingerpicking since my youth, but my opinion then was that a Telecaster does a great job with Travis style stuff. Another tried-and-true choice for this sort of thing would be a Gretsch, although body size on some of their hollowbody models might be an issue for your shoulder. Obviously, folks have done finger picking on just about any guitar made, and what you like would be the ruler for this decision.

Similar situation with amps. Your ear should decide. The typical Fender tone profile suits Travis style I think. If your shoulder wants light, a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb would be one thing to look at. It's no lightweight, but the Hot Rod Deluxe has good headroom, all the volume any one would need in a band situation.

You mention electric in your subject, but obviously a 00 or 000 sized acoustic is another thing that could be suggested.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Taylor T5 is very light, and versatile...
Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
You should take the advantage of this perceived need to do some pleasant shopping.

I haven't done much fingerpicking since my youth, but my opinion then was that a Telecaster does a great job with Travis style stuff. Another tried-and-true choice for this sort of thing would be a Gretsch, although body size on some of their hollowbody models might be an issue for your shoulder. Obviously, folks have done finger picking on just about any guitar made, and what you like would be the ruler for this decision.

Similar situation with amps. Your ear should decide. The typical Fender tone profile suits Travis style I think. If your shoulder wants light, a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb would be one thing to look at. It's no lightweight, but the Hot Rod Deluxe has good headroom, all the volume any one would need in a band situation.

You mention electric in your subject, but obviously a 00 or 000 sized acoustic is another thing that could be suggested.
---One of the reasons I asked for a bit of guidance is that I live 110 ten miles from the nearest music store that even just sells strings,and 160 miles from any that has a selection of guitars. Also, I've tried lots of smaller size guitars in the last few years. It's the depth, ( thickness) that is the problem for me. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by skinnerb; 07-25-2018 at 11:52 AM. Reason: change of heart
Old 07-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Are you looking for archtop looks? Archtop resonance?

I own one Tele Thinline, a very nice guitar. My opinion (based on that sample of one) is that you don't really get the same resonance impact on the sound as even a ES-335 style guitar from the Tele Thinline design. One thing I like about mine, it's super light, but that varies a bit by example (one story has it that the Thinline design came into being because of the heavier woods used by Fender in the owned-by-CBS era.

Guitars using the full sized 335 body style have substantial lower bouts, as does my Gretsch hollowbody. Thin they are, but if it's the lower bout of an acoustic that's bothering you as much as the rim depth, they may not be a solution. I love my Gretsch 5420 larger body archtop.

I don't know enough about the current Gretsch line to say if they have a smaller bodied model to recommend. I do love my larger Electromatic line one.

The 339 style semi-hollow body has a smaller lower bout. More resonance factor than a Tele thinline, less than a 335. I two guitars in that form factor, and old Aria and a newer Epiphone P90 339 Pro. I rather like the sound of the Epi's P90s, but there can be hum issues. Above the Epiphone line there are of course Gibson models with the same smaller sized, thinline archtop bodies.

Similar to the Tele Thinline there are other designs with the same form-factor bodies as solid body guitars, but with hollow cavities under the top. Most of those I've played don't sound like a small hollowbody to me.

However, I once played a vintage Guild Bluesbird in a store. It was shockingly good in sounding like a small hollowbody while looking like a early 50s Les Paul. I once played a late 90s Guild Bluesbird very briefly, and it didn't strike me as the same kind of sound, but that could have been my mood.

Speaking of the 50s and 60s there were a lot of smaller archtops built then, often lower-end ones, often with pickups as time went on. But you seem to be saying that you can't try before you buy, so I'll not expand on that. Same deal with the Guild Bluesbird.

You are really over a barrel with the I want it be comfortable to me and yet can't shop for what's comfortable in my arms situation. With new guitars I'd guess you could try working with mailorder places with good return policies.

Hope any of this helps...

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-25-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...Guitars using the full sized 335 body style have substantial lower bouts, as does my Gretsch hollowbody. Thin they are, but if it's the lower bout of an acoustic that's bothering you as much as the rim depth, they may not be a solution. I love my Gretsch 5420 larger body archtop.

I don't know enough about the current Gretsch line to say if they have a smaller bodied model to recommend. I do love my larger Electromatic line one...

...I once played a vintage Guild Bluesbird in a store. It was shockingly good in sounding like a small hollowbody while looking like a early 50s Les Paul...
Since it's the depth rather than width that's the major problem, speaking as a satisfied owner I'll second the Gretsch 5400/5600-Series E-matics - IME you're not going to find comparable QC/tone/playability for anywhere near the extremely reasonable (well under $1K street) price; in the event even that's too big, the new 5655TG (think 3/4-size White Falcon) might be just what you need:

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/...are/2509700567

Frank's suggestion of a Guild M-75 or Bluesbird - both of which have been reissued, BTW - is also a good one; be advised, though, that the current Bluesbird is more a rock-oriented guitar, with full-size humbuckers - the P-90's on the M-75 might be more in line with your intended use...

Finally, since you're going to be playing clean almost exclusively you can save a load of weight - not to mention money, in many cases - by going with a good analog solid-state amp; I've been both a hardcore tube guy and "big-clean tone" player for 55+ years, and although I have a '65 Super RI (and Bugera V22/'64 Ampeg Rocket for smaller venues) I'll grab my (now-discontinued) Fender Frontman 212R more often than not for the big houses/outdoor shows, in the interest of both increasing age and continued marital bliss - weighs about 30% less than the Super, more clean power/headroom, and looks/sounds enough like a clean blackface Twin to satisfy even the surf-guitar crowd...

If you're on a $2500 total budget I'd recommend looking into the Quilter MicroPro Mach II HD:

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php...h-2-12-inch-hd

- or the Steelaire Combo:

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php...teelaire-combo

Not cheap at $1199 and $1399 - in the same ballpark as the Fender blackface reissues, BTW - but solidly-built, full-featured, far lighter than anything else on the market with comparable features/power (at 21 and 35 pounds respectively), and tonally compatible with your stated musical preferences...
Old 07-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

My humble thanks to all of you that have responded with such a wealth of information. Much appreciated!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:47 AM

I would suggest an Epiphone, Ibanez or Guild semi-hollow, 335 type. For Travis style I like to rest my palm on the bridge to mute the bass strings. I find a full-size depth and a floating bridge more comfortable for that.
I like Roland amps, for a digital modeling amp the Fender Mustangs are good, and light, too.
I think you can get both guitar and amp for under $1500.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM

I gave away both of my Teles to friends since I quit gigging electric, but seeing this video of a Lil Sister slot head with P-90s gave me the idea that I might need to build one for myself...

https://youtu.be/V27xPNnr1e0
Old 07-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Telecaster is great. I play fingerstyle jazz on mine. The nice thing about it is the strings are fairly widely spaced at the bridge. Check out Tim Lerch on YouTube for set up recommendations and great Tele playing.

Epiphone sorrento is another option I didn't see mentioned. I love the way 335s and 330s sound but the body shape /long neck can feel awkward if you're not a big guy/long arms. With the 335 type, the neck will stick way out there and it can be awkward especially if you hang out in open position /first fret a lot.

Another suggestion along the lines of the Sorrento is the Heritage H525. Thinner body archtop with an ES175 shape (meaning the neck doesn't reach out as far).

Gibson ES125T (the thin version of the ES125) can be great too, but you would want to try before you buy, as they're all 60 some years old at this point.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2018, 02:46 PM

I use a Kingpin with Retros or Telecaster with Top Tapes into an Excelsior Pro for this. I don't know it this is the way fingerstyle is supposed to sound but I like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops