The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-20-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
...Their guest was Courtney Hartman and she played a Lawrence Smart archtop...Just about the perfect sound for an archtop to my ear...
I'm personally partial to the Big Band-style 17-18" comp boxes, but that's one of the nicest 16" archtops I've heard in a long time; reminds me a bit of some L-00's I've heard but with the forward projection, midrange punch, and string-to-string separation/definition that lets you know immediately you're dealing with an archtop, and it's an excellent complement to her combination strumming/crosspicking technique...
Old 12-21-2021, 09:55 PM

Dear THart—Two and a half years ago Carter Vintage had a lovely archtop for sale by Lawrence Smart. It had a pheasantwood finger rest, if I recall. I contacted him around that time and his fully appointed archtop then was $7500, so even if the price has gone up it may well be comfortably under 12K. It certainly looks and sounds like one of life’s great bargains!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops