The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Default I’ve learned you got to give it a few days.

I recently bought a Martin DX1AE off Craigslist. A really good price and in great condition. I met the person in a Burger King parking lot, I inspected it and happily handed over the money. I got home cleaned it, put new strings on it and started to play it. Immediately I didn’t like it, beautiful sound but 1 3/4” nut. Nope way to wide, I wanted to get rid of it. But, I kept playing it because of the sound. After a few days I finally bonded with it and I’m extremely happy. I’m glad I gave it a chance. It’s a nice addition for my Taylor.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 03-01-2019, 04:32 PM

Glad you decided it was good for you before you had a chance to move it down the road. Congrats on the new guitar!
Old 03-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Sometimes all it takes is a little time to get used to a neck or fretboard. If it sounds good to you then it's worth it.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:15 PM

Default That's w hy it is so hard to decide even in person.

Glad you like your new guitar! I have found many times my first impression isn't the end. It seems crazy but it's like the guitar has to acclimate to home. My first impression of my latest purchase was "meh" but I kept playing and now it's the one I pick up to play every day.

Other times I have picked one at a store from several. Back and forth, A and B, B and C and been confident I knew which I wanted. Well, I don't have any of those now. They came home and changed. Or did I change?

It's good to give each newcomer a little time to adjust and become a friend. Corny but true.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

That sure is the High Life!

Funny thing, my MartinX dread was 1 11/16. Once I got a Road Series with 1 3/4, I no longer liked the 1 11/16. I sold it to my friend for the same as I paid used. He has a d-18 and wanted something to give him the Martin tone that he wouldn't have to worry about, still has it!

Be warned, MartinX's are like an entry drug. Don't think that's the only Martin you'll be playing!
Old 03-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. I too bought a used DX1AE off of craigslist and I couldn't be happier, mine sounds great too. Enjoy !!

I did take a bit of a gamble on mine tho, the strings that were on it were horrible, sounded like garbage and you could see they were damaged. I bought it anyway changed strings and the rest is history.

Martin DX1AE
Fender FA-100
Old 03-01-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
I recently bought a Martin DX1AE off Craigslist. A really good price and in great condition. I met the person in a Burger King parking lot, I inspected it and happily handed over the money. I got home cleaned it, put new strings on it and started to play it. Immediately I didn’t like it, beautiful sound but 1 3/4” nut. Nope way to wide, I wanted to get rid of it. But, I kept playing it because of the sound. After a few days I finally bonded with it and I’m extremely happy. I’m glad I gave it a chance. It’s a nice addition for my Taylor.

Now that you've got a Martin, you're finally living the High Life!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion