The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

The Sunbeams are round core, so they should feel "softer" more flexible than the Rares which are hex core. My experience is Sunbeams offer more sustain. I like them alot. If you like Sunbeams, try Newtone MasterClass (not the "double wound" though). Masterclass is also a round core string and I like them even more than Sunbeams.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
The Sunbeams are round core, so they should feel "softer" more flexible than the Rares which are hex core. My experience is Sunbeams offer more sustain. I like them alot. If you like Sunbeams, try Newtone MasterClass (not the "double wound" though). Masterclass is also a round core string and I like them even more than Sunbeams.
I have tried them ... but not on this guitar.
I still have a custom gauge ( virtually the same gauge as Martin Titanium ) set of Nickel Plated Round Core strings I ordered from Newtone last year that are excellent too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-01-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Tried a set of DR Sunbeams on my Epiphone EJ-200 this week.
First I tried the Medium 13-56 and I liked the tone but found them hard on my fingers.
Tried the Light 12-54 and they sounded even better and felt fine.
Very, very impressed.
Clear, loud and well balanced.

I haven't tried DR Rares yet - what can I expect from them?

Dude. Used to love Sunbeams. Still do. But I'm a cheapskate. Can't get them for $5 a pack anymore. They went up to like $8.97 or something. They're easily one of the best strings for overall tone and projection (like a sun beaming, that's the idea), and those harmonics man...incredible... but when I can occasionally get Martin SPs for $3.29 a pack (I find 'em about twice a year and buy a dozen sets each) and sometimes the Lifespans for $6, I just do that. Change more often. Nice zing for a couple months. But I got boring... I need some Sunbeams in my life (but gotta work through the 2 dozen or so odd sets of random brands I have now!)

I still have some DR Life Mellow Yellow. Best strings I ever put on my 720SCA.
2007 Yamaha FGX720SCA
2020 Yamaha FG Junior
2002 Taylor Big Baby
Old 03-01-2019, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I haven't tried the Sunbeams but I do like the Rares. They seem to have less tension compared to others. A little warmer also.
My impression as well.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Tried a set of DR Sunbeams on my Epiphone EJ-200 this week.
First I tried the Medium 13-56 and I liked the tone but found them hard on my fingers.
Tried the Light 12-54 and they sounded even better and felt fine.
Very, very impressed.
Clear, loud and well balanced.

I haven't tried DR Rares yet - what can I expect from them?
Sunbeams rock! They are my go-to strings for my D35. I've tried Rares and Veritas. The Veritas didn't impress me and the Rares were ok, but I like the Sunbeams better. I don't think I can pinpoint the quality of Rares other than they are a bit different than Sunbeams.

You discovered something important: Heavier gauge is not necessarily better. A lot of it is that pesky low E string. Heavier gauges stress the fundamentals but at the expense of overtones and harmonics. And it is those overtones and harmonics that sympathize with the guitar's natural response that creates fullness and volume. I thought that if Sunbeam 12's were good Sunbeam 13's would be better. Nope. The 13's sucked the mojo out of my guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I like Sunbeams. I've used 12's but never tried the 13's. They feel great, sound great on most guitars, and last a long time.
See above comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorfanguy View Post
Dude. Used to love Sunbeams. Still do. But I'm a cheapskate. Can't get them for $5 a pack anymore. They went up to like $8.97 or something. They're easily one of the best strings for overall tone and projection (like a sun beaming, that's the idea), and those harmonics man...incredible... .
You can still find Sunbeams (in the US) for $6.59/ea.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for good results with both Rares and Sunbeams. I like the Rares a bit more than the Sunbeams. They both typically last about 4-6 weeks for me if I play them 4-5 times a week.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-01-2019, 02:18 PM

I have used rares and sunbeams. I like them both.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Steve Kaufman told me in a workshop a few weeks ago that he uses DR Rare mediums exclusively over the last few years. He does not like coated strings and these last him a couple of months, with as much as he plays and as hard as he picks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion