The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Default J45 TV vs LG2 AE - Guitar or Strings?

I have a J45tv. Its a great guitar, no issues, but I wanted something smaller just to have and it seemed that the LG2 was a good compliment. I ordered one and its good but its brighter (duh) and compared to my TV it makes me feel that I want my TV to be a little brighter. So is it the model or do the strings have something to do with it?

- J45tv with EXP16s

- LG2 with Diadarrio nickle bronze lights

So before I go swapping and comparing strings this is what I notice and I want to know if its because of the guitar or the strings are coming into play.

- J45tv is obviously more bass and bigger and that the guitar. It has nice overtones to it and a natural reverb while keeping the organic woody sound of a Gibson. I thought it was great until I compared it to my lg2 and now I want it brighter.

- LG2 is boxier and less bass but its more clear and articulate, thats the guitar. But its brighter but it also doesnt have overtones to it. Its bright and focused but not as open.

- To throw another comparison in here I have a Bourgeious om mahogany/adi and its nice in every way with overtones and openess but its not as bright as the lg2.

So are these nickle bronze strings contributing to the brighter sound and no overtones? If so its worth trying NB on my others, the only issue is that I like overtones. So are the EXPs not as bright? Id like EXPs but more bright and have overtones.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
I have a J45tv. Its a great guitar, no issues, but I wanted something smaller just to have and it seemed that the LG2 was a good compliment. I ordered one and its good but its brighter (duh) and compared to my TV it makes me feel that I want my TV to be a little brighter. So is it the model or do the strings have something to do with it?

- J45tv with EXP16s

- LG2 with Diadarrio nickle bronze lights

So before I go swapping and comparing strings this is what I notice and I want to know if its because of the guitar or the strings are coming into play.

- J45tv is obviously more bass and bigger and that the guitar. It has nice overtones to it and a natural reverb while keeping the organic woody sound of a Gibson. I thought it was great until I compared it to my lg2 and now I want it brighter.

- LG2 is boxier and less bass but its more clear and articulate, thats the guitar. But its brighter but it also doesnt have overtones to it. Its bright and focused but not as open.

- To throw another comparison in here I have a Bourgeious om mahogany/adi and its nice in every way with overtones and openess but its not as bright as the lg2.

So are these nickle bronze strings contributing to the brighter sound and no overtones? If so its worth trying NB on my others, the only issue is that I like overtones. So are the EXPs not as bright? Id like EXPs but more bright and have overtones.
I have found that the EXPs can go dull fairly quickly, which I don't expect in a typical coated string. Have you tried elixir nano PBs ... and if that isn't bright enough you could try the 80/20s. Although I have found the nano PBs to retain their tone longer than the 80/20s ... ymmv.

I also have a J45tv and a LG2 AE. They are both great guitars.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
So before I go swapping and comparing strings this is what I notice and I want to know if its because of the guitar or the strings
I can't imagine how you'll be able to answer this without swapping and comparing strings.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Default My experience with my LG2 AE

My favorite strings for my LG2 are the D 'Addario NB.
The retros also sound good, and tend to be alittle darker that the D'Addario NB, and seem to me to make the strings blend better than any other string.
I also like the JP PB strings.
Not sure why, but this little guitsar seems to really be affected by which pick I use on it.
I really Like The DNB strings while using a Red Charmed life pick.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
I have found that the EXPs can go dull fairly quickly, which I don't expect in a typical coated string. Have you tried elixir nano PBs ... and if that isn't bright enough you could try the 80/20s. Although I have found the nano PBs to retain their tone longer than the 80/20s ... ymmv.

I also have a J45tv and a LG2 AE. They are both great guitars.
Do you agree with my comparisons then? And yea, for a coated string it goes dull fast. I thought I like that broken in sound but I think I want more life.

I dont like elixers or 80/20s.

For the lg2, what gauge are you guys using?
Old 02-27-2019, 02:07 PM

The solution is simple.
Sell the J45V and buy a J45 Standard. If I'm reading your post correctly, that will give you what you are looking for.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Do you agree with my comparisons then? And yea, for a coated string it goes dull fast. I thought I like that broken in sound but I think I want more life.

I dont like elixers or 80/20s.

For the lg2, what gauge are you guys using?
I typically use 13s. But there may be 12s on it now.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-27-2019, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

At some point, Sal will join in. He’s owned both models and tried several string sets.

My observation is that nickel alloy strings are more neutral than phosphor bronze. I’m thinking that if you try a set of PB strings on the LG2, it will still be bright. But it will have more overtones.

Good luck!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Guest 728

I currently string my LG2 AE with John Pearse Pure Nickel Lights.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 AM

I put EXP16 on the lg2 and it tamed it some and gave it the sound I am more used to. I found that the NB that were on it were 11s and I went to 12s. Whats strange is that the factory tag says the action heights are 5 and 3 and I get 2.5/64 high e and 4/64 low which is very low. Is this normal on these? I also think this leads to the strings being very slinky. Feels like an electric. I might have to go to 13s (can they handle 13s) or get a new nut and raise action.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion