The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on good replacement for Yamaha A1M series guitars bridge pins. I like the way it sounds right now with the plastic pins. I'm just wanting to make sure I get something that fits the guitar.
If you like the way it sounds with the stock plastic pins, why are you wanting to change them? Do you want a different look? Or some other reason?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
They're doing the typical Martin 'thing'; not fitting properly. The collar of the pin should really be flush with the bridge. Martin will convince you that they leave their pins deliberately proud in order to take into account the hole being worn away over time. I don't buy that, frankly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS9bwCdHsLI
Shows ya what I know. I thought the collar slightly off the bridge was right. I cant's see how it hurts anything though.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 03-01-2019, 12:38 AM

I just want an extra set in case I break one when changing strings. You have never broke a bridge pin?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
You have never broke a bridge pin?
Never. Not in 40 years of playing, making or repairing guitars.

Getting glued-in end pins out, ocassionally.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:10 AM

I find string changes MUCH easier with ebony pins. That's a leading factor for me changing them.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls82261 View Post
Shows ya what I know. I thought the collar slightly off the bridge was right. I cant's see how it hurts anything though.
You are right on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
They're doing the typical Martin 'thing'; not fitting properly. The collar of the pin should really be flush with the bridge. Martin will convince you that they leave their pins deliberately proud in order to take into account the hole being worn away over time. I don't buy that, frankly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS9bwCdHsLI
That makes good sense to me. If not, in a short time they would be loose. Why don't you agree?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
You are right on both counts.

That makes good sense to me. If not, in a short time they would be loose. Why don't you agree?
Simply because ebony and rosewood are very hard and dense, and the relatively soft plastic used by Martin for their pins is going to do very little, if anything, to enlarge those holes; especially given the fact that for most of the life of the guitar the bridge pins aren't actually doing anything but sitting in their holes, awaiting the next string change. It's not as if there's constant abrasion happening.
Most manufacturers (including very high end builders), manage to get their pins to fit properly, so I don't see why Martin cannot.

Last edited by AndrewG; 03-01-2019 at 11:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion