The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 PM

Default Finger Issues....

I have been playing with scales and learning different chords but have run into an issue.

Trying to play in proper position my ring finger and little finger seem to have a mind different than the rest of my hand. Trying some finger exercises on the guitar I could not get them to cooperate enough to get them with the program.

Im wondering if there are some exercises off guitar that would help with this issue. Those two fingers seem rigid and dysfunctional when trying to get my hand in parallel alignment with the neck. I can actually play chords pretty well but I'm probably doing contortions to get it done.

Thought?
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I noticed something similar to your experience a few years ago and brought it up to my teacher and he suggested I quit focusing as much on playing scales and chords and focus more on playing songs. It worked to help relax my mind/focus and get my left hand more relaxed because I was thinking about melody, harmony, and rhythm more than my left hand form.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

My pinky has a mind of its own when I do scales also, but minds its manners when playing a tune, as Bob has pointed out. For some reason, when playing finger style positions/chords I can keep the pinky close to the fret board to get it ready for its next placement, but while doing scales it has wings. Can't figure it out so I quit trying to

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:33 AM

OK. You guys are making me feel a bit better about my problem child. Similarly I never noticed this until I started scales and more so with proper hand position drills. Playing music was fairly ok.

I was just concerned that I needed to get my problem child under control. I have a young accident sheprador that thinks he is his $12 K9 daddy I can't control either. I was thinking it was me. It's hard to accept I have a pinky that doesn't respect me but Ill go back and just play music - lol.

Thanks guys!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomnimity View Post
I have been playing with scales and learning different chords but have run into an issue.

Trying to play in proper position my ring finger and little finger seem to have a mind different than the rest of my hand. Trying some finger exercises on the guitar I could not get them to cooperate enough to get them with the program.

Im wondering if there are some exercises off guitar that would help with this issue. Those two fingers seem rigid and dysfunctional when trying to get my hand in parallel alignment with the neck. I can actually play chords pretty well but I'm probably doing contortions to get it done.

Thought?
The spider exercise is a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7VnGhuNKYY
That might look complicated but it's developed from a very simple exercise you can start with.
Pick anywhere on the fretboard, any single string, and place one finger on each fret, i.e, one fret apart. Make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, supporting all the fingers equally - i.e, somewhere opposite between index and pinky. Practice lifting each finger on and off its fret, independently, and play the notes as you do so. You can up and down, or play the 4 frets randomly.
In your case, of course (as in most cases!) you need to focus on your ring and pinky. Make sure they hold their notes clean and strong.
You can also walk the fingers across the strings, keeping to the same frets (the spider exercise does this is in an organised way, but you can be relatively free with it - just make sure every note is fretted cleanly.)

To additionally strengthen the ring and pinky, practice hammer-ons and pull-off with those fingers (keeping index or middle in place). This is probably the most useful part of the exercise, because it really makes demands on those fingers.

Justin has a similar exercise he calls "guitar gym":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDt_4ha9Xjs
- again, that can be adapted in easier parts of the fretboard if you want, focusing on ring and pinky as before.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I think that JonPR's video recommendation is great, but if I may add one of mine too - it might just help.

Learning guitar (or anything else I suppose) is not only about learning with your brain, but with your muscles and nerves as well.
You will see a phenomenon (inon) called muscle memory used a lot here, and it it a fact.

You had to develop it when you learnt to walk, then when you could put a spoonful of baby food in your mouth rather than your eye.

Playing guitar is not an instinctive thing to do with your hands so they must learn as well and it doesn't happen over night. Keep at it, do these exercises (and any others that might be recommended and those fingers will start to move eventually.

Keep at it!
Old 03-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Ah, I forgot to add my video :

Hope this helps,

Andy
Old 03-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The spider exercise is a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7VnGhuNKYY
That might look complicated but it's developed from a very simple exercise you can start with.
Pick anywhere on the fretboard, any single string, and place one finger on each fret, i.e, one fret apart. Make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck, supporting all the fingers equally - i.e, somewhere opposite between index and pinky. Practice lifting each finger on and off its fret, independently, and play the notes as you do so. You can up and down, or play the 4 frets randomly.
In your case, of course (as in most cases!) you need to focus on your ring and pinky. Make sure they hold their notes clean and strong.
You can also walk the fingers across the strings, keeping to the same frets (the spider exercise does this is in an organised way, but you can be relatively free with it - just make sure every note is fretted cleanly.)

To additionally strengthen the ring and pinky, practice hammer-ons and pull-off with those fingers (keeping index or middle in place). This is probably the most useful part of the exercise, because it really makes demands on those fingers.

Justin has a similar exercise he calls "guitar gym":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDt_4ha9Xjs
- again, that can be adapted in easier parts of the fretboard if you want, focusing on ring and pinky as before.
Thanks Jon. I will play with the spider exercise a bit and see how that goes. I think it was actually the finger gym video I was watching when this whole pinky issue caught my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I think that JonPR's video recommendation is great, but if I may add one of mine too - it might just help.

Learning guitar (or anything else I suppose) is not only about learning with your brain, but with your muscles and nerves as well.
You will see a phenomenon (inon) called muscle memory used a lot here, and it it a fact.

You had to develop it when you learnt to walk, then when you could put a spoonful of baby food in your mouth rather than your eye.

Playing guitar is not an instinctive thing to do with your hands so they must learn as well and it doesn't happen over night. Keep at it, do these exercises (and any others that might be recommended and those fingers will start to move eventually.

Keep at it!
Awesome Silly. That's some off guitar arm, wrist, and finger maintenance that we can do anywhere. I was following along with your video and I could feel the areas of tightness and a few sore finger joints. This should help!

Jim
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 03-07-2019, 01:34 PM

Keep with the Scales,

IMHO, these are the best things to work for muscle memory and finger accuracy.

be patient.. rome wasn't built in day...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write