The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Getting Better Before a Gig

I've been reading with interest the thread in this sub-forum on the dynamics of singing into a mic. As always great info on the AGF!

So my "Jam Band" will have it's biggest gig to date in about 6 weeks. We have been the opening act at our local Arts Center a couple of times, but now will be "headlining". On the aforementioned thread, there were several suggestions relating to the importance of recording oneself in order to get better.

So....any suggestions on here for a good, cheap recording setup for our purposes? We are a full band with drums, bass, and a couple of guitars. Multiple vocalists and our own sound tech. Left to my own devices I'd probably just use an iPhone, but I'm also kind of a gear junkie, so what do you guys suggest in terms of a recording device?

Thanks in advance!
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 03-04-2019, 11:16 AM

I've been researching the same topic recently. If you want standalone hardware to record multiple tracks at once, you need something like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdAlNDaz-VI
It records 8 tracks at once. Obviously you'd need a few mics too, but that would give you at least two on the drums.
(Phantom power on only two channels might be a limitation, but your tech would know about that.)

Whether you think it's "cheap" depends on your budget, I guess... I've not used it myself, so can't comment on quality or ease of use.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Thanks Jon! Will take a look at that. Not as many replies as I had hoped for.
2014 Voyage-Air
1981 Fender Statocaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-05-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:21 PM

I take it your just looking for reference recordings?

Zoom Handy Recorders are VERY hard to beat. They do support line in input as well as sport pretty good on board mics.

Won't kill the budget either.

I'm in an originals band and I can't count the # of ideas that we'd have lost if we were not using one when we're writing.

and you may want to look at Audactiy (freeware) which you can use to edit/boost db, etc of the mp3s. That is something I found came in very handy with regard to play back levels from the mp3 recordings. you can also edit out dead space before and after the songs you're recording with it.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

If what you are wanting is a solid digital recording of your band, you can always use one of the small digital recorders... I have a Tascam DR-05, and it's very basic, just 4 tracks but no overdubbing, a pair of Y condensor mics, control of all basic funcitons; the thing cost me $29 (after all the rebates, discounts, etc.) from Guitar Center.

Got it a few years ago, (thanks to a "head's up on this Forum!) and have been amazed at how good a job it does. Granted, I have to adjust the height of the unit for either vocal strong or guitar strong, if I want a good balance. It does have the capability of using a "line in" should I want, or different microphones, but it captures what it hears very well.

Mic everything and take a line out of the sounddesk... there you go! Might not be CD quality, but you WILL hear what the band sounds like...

Of course, if you want to record a record, this probably isn't what you want!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:00 PM

Another vote for one of the Zoom recorders. They pick up everything clearly.

At the same time, I encourage you to also try your iPhone and make a video. Performing is very visual and you can see if there are any issues to work on - often musicians do something facially or movement-wise that is distracting or worse, and they don't realize it until they see it.

The best performers are those who play/sing awesomely AND present a congruent visual presence.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-05-2019, 08:06 PM

Singing is an "instrument" one must master. All the nuances of playing guitar softly, loudly, finger-picked, strummed... all have their vocal equivalents. I've seen many, many people just jump in flinging out vocals after spending hours and hours perfecting their instrument (guitar) without paying anywhere near enough on their accompanying vocals. It's good you're looking at them.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:43 AM

I was in a similar boat last summer.

I also recommend Zoom but also suggest you approach this with a grain of salt. If you haven't been recording, there is a great recent thread about how it really amplifies defects and i suggest not getting too wrapped up in that just weeks before your gig. There are also many dependent variables such as mic placement, practice room acoustics etc.. etc..

Listen for broad strokes and understand that you will sound different in the venue regardless. So, just a suggestion to have fun with it but not to let it stress you.

Cheers!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 AM

If the sole purpose of the recordings is to listen to your band's performance and see what needs to be improved, then a simple Zoom recorder recording with built-in mics is going to be the answer. Even an iPhone recording would probably do it, but you need to be able to listen on something other than the phone speaker.
Depending on your practice space, you may need to experiment on placement of it in the room. If you mic everything - amps and drums, then you could use a line-out from the mixing board.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Thanks SO much guys (and moderators thanks for moving to appropriate forum). This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll be checking out Zoom and Tascam recorders, and Edp, I especially appreciate the wisdom about recording with a grain of salt. I think as performers, most of us are our own worst critics.

AGF comes through again!
2014 Voyage-Air
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM

Like others have said..The Zooms or Like what I have is a Tascam DR-05 $99 I'd put whatever you buy out in front of your band and start recording, So that you get to hear what the people will hear.. Like, Who is too loud, too soft, timing etc.,

Also the Tascam comes with a threaded place/spot so you can put it on a Camera Tri-Pod to help for height and ease of moving it around, the zoom probably has it also.
You can plug it into your mixer to play back your recordings and you all can walk out front and listen to yourselves...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD