The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2022, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

My next Ultra Tonic 3.2 DIP switch experimentation will be with activating Switch 4 which I haven't yet done. This should bring more body resonance to the output signal but with a bigger chance of more feedback and with less clear, direct string signal.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-30-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
This is all I have to offer at the moment - I have about a 6 minute video that shows a bunch of the process of the install and initial setting, but this is something I recorded after I was done - gives you a little idea -

https://youtu.be/VjvWSW19tM8
Tad, A point of clarification on your video: Is the microphone ON whether you have the amp volume turned all the way down or turned up? In other words, is the microphone picking up both the acoustic tone of the guitar and the amplified tone at the same time? Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-30-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Default SUCCESS: GOOD AMPLIFIED TONE ACHIEVED!

Finally, after a lot of DIP-Switch switching, I said to myself "Potential Feedback Tendencies Be Danged! I'm setting the DIP switch array at "3" and hear what happens!" I'll be hornswoggled, with more body/top resonance in the mix I've now got bass response galore with both E-strings on a par with every other string--I'm Happy! I made a quick recording that demonstrates this full tone but I haven't tried the rig through my PA yet as I've got some other things to do. After putting the rig through the PA, I may decide to use DIP-switch 4 to lessen any feedback and boom. If anyone out there needs any advice on installing an Ultra Tonic 3.2 in their ax, I'm here for you!

The recording sounds sloppy as it was made quickly, without warming up my hands, and without the aid of any beer! The Martin D-18 with Ultra Tonic 3.2 System is being played with a Guitar Moose .80 mm Classic Pick, and it's being fed through a 10-foot long Mogami Gold Instrument cord into a FELiX 2 preamp set a 1 MegaOhm input impedance with all EQ Flat and NO EFFECTS. Your Comments Are Welcome!

DIP-Switch 3:

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-03-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:54 PM

Now it is too boomy for my taste. I would say my choice would be in between the two last recordings.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-31-2022, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Tad, A point of clarification on your video: Is the microphone ON whether you have the amp volume turned all the way down or turned up? In other words, is the microphone picking up both the acoustic tone of the guitar and the amplified tone at the same time? Thanks!
My video (and audio) was recorded directly into my iphone a couple feet to the side of me - the amp was turned up pretty loud, and all I did was rotate the volume knob on my UltraTonic to take it down to 0, then bring it back up to 100, without touching anything else. I thought it did a pretty good job of showing the tone of the guitar alone, and then turned up to a point you couldn’t hear the guitar over the amp. But I’m sure there is some limiting and compression going on in the iphone itself - and I was sitting a couple feet away directly in front of the amp to try and catch any feedback.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Now it is too boomy for my taste. I would say my choice would be in between the two last recordings.
Thanks, Cuki, yes I'll probably use DIP-switch 4 to remove some of the boom. The nice thing to know is that the Ultra Tonic 3.2 works very well and I didn't botch my installation. The DIP-switch setting instructions for the pickup should be more clear. I would have an installer begin with DIP-switch 1 (closer to full-on K&K tone) and work toward the higher switch settings until good tone is achieved, instead of starting with DIP-switch 12 where there isn't much bass tone in the mix.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-31-2022, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
My video (and audio) was recorded directly into my iphone a couple feet to the side of me - the amp was turned up pretty loud, and all I did was rotate the volume knob on my UltraTonic to take it down to 0, then bring it back up to 100, without touching anything else. I thought it did a pretty good job of showing the tone of the guitar alone, and then turned up to a point you couldn’t hear the guitar over the amp. But I’m sure there is some limiting and compression going on in the iphone itself - and I was sitting a couple feet away directly in front of the amp to try and catch any feedback.
Thanks, Tad! It seems like I've finally got the Ultra Tonic 3.2 sorted out.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-31-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
. . . I may decide to use DIP-switch 4 to lessen any feedback and boom.
That's the best track I've heard from this combo so far! I do think 4 might be just the ticket, though.

Not sure but I think my OM-21 is set to 5. I play in a very loud venue & feedback had been a big problem for me. I finally had to use a soundhole cover to keep it from feeding back. The Ultra Tonic totally eliminated that need. I may try 4 again, though, just to hear the difference on stage. I set mine originally while sitting & playing fairly close to my Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85. Set to 5 the feedback was eliminated but it is possible I over did it. I'll try to set it again after I get my D-18 back with its Ultra Tonic installed. At that point I should have 2 guitars that I can play with the band & not have any feedback problems.

Carry on!

Frank
Old 01-31-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
That's the best track I've heard from this combo so far! I do think 4 might be just the ticket, though.

Not sure but I think my OM-21 is set to 5. I play in a very loud venue & feedback had been a big problem for me. I finally had to use a soundhole cover to keep it from feeding back. The Ultra Tonic totally eliminated that need. I may try 4 again, though, just to hear the difference on stage. I set mine originally while sitting & playing fairly close to my Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85. Set to 5 the feedback was eliminated but it is possible I over did it. I'll try to set it again after I get my D-18 back with its Ultra Tonic installed. At that point I should have 2 guitars that I can play with the band & not have any feedback problems.

Carry on!

Frank
Thanks, Frank, for the background on your Ultra Tonic-equipped guitars. Yes, I'm going to try DIP-switch 4 as it should reduce the current boominess. I found the instructions kind of vague for setting the DIP switches as I started at 12, per the instructions, and went down the line and heard 5 start to feedback a bit so I set the Ultra Tonic to 6 and wrapped it up. Let's say there was little bass on the E-6th string which was disappointing. Finally, yesterday, I thought let me get into what is probably top plate/body resonance territory and BANG!--Bass. Now just one more DIP-switch setting to 4 and I'll likely leave it there. Please keep me in the loop on your guitars, especially your D-18 when you get it back with the Ultra Tonic installed! Thanks! More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-01-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
A point of clarification. Having all dip switches off DOES NOT totally remove the feedback sensor. In fact, it is exactly the same as position 7!

Why, you say? It is complicated to explain, but suffices to say the switching circuitry is complex and this arrangement was the simplest way I could do it without having to force people to use an overly complicated switch sequence.
Ah that helps make things make more sense to me. As I am working through the ultra tonic install in my Furch Little Jane (which I'm already quite happy with from a tone perspective on the pickup) I noticed that when I switch on switches 12 through 10 it would give me more feedback than no switch.

The above seems to explain that well as this would mean that switches 12-8 are actually less feedback signal than no switch.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I adjusted the DIP switches to DIP-switch 5 and think it captures the tone of the guitar quite well. I can hear the Martin resonance of the E-6th string without the BOOM, and it and the other strings are tone- and loudness-wise well represented in relation to each other's acoustic-only properties when playing chords and notes all over the neck. The Ultra Tonic 3.2 joins the Trance Amulet M as my favorite pickups.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-04-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

I just compared my just bought today new RainSong BI-DR1000N2 Dreadnought Carbon Guitar (light-gauge strings)/ LR Baggs Stage Pro Element with my Martin D-18 (medium-gauge strings)/Ultra Tonic 3.2 (at its finalized DIP-switch setting of 5) through headphones, and the Martin Ultra Tonic 3.2 combination sounds more natural. The RainSong has an extraordinary bass resonance at F#/G whereas the Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic 3.2 combination has a nice strong bass in the same region but everything in its sound spectrum sounds sweet--More natural. I'm still learning the feel of the RainSong but with its LR Baggs Stage Pro Element, UST-based system, it's able to sense not only the usual UST-based string vibration but due to the very efficient vibrational transfer of carbon fiber, the UST also acts as an SBT--a single-source/dual-source if you will. I'll post some sound files of both guitars soon. Suffice it to say I'm very pleased with the acoustic and acoustic-electric tone of both these axes! More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-04-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Ultra Tonic DIP-Switch 5

Hi Folks,

The following sound file is made with my Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic 3.2 set at 5 on its onboard DIP-switch circuit board. Although I may go back to DIP-switch setting 4, I hear this setting as likely being the best sounding for the Martin D-18/Ultra Tonic 3.2 combination. Whether setting 5 is or not, would take some playing time in different venues to determine if it is the best setting. Please compare this sound file to the others within this thread that represent several other Ultra Tonic 3.2 DIP-switch settings in my quest for finding the best Ultra Tonic 3.2 setting for the amplification of the Martin D-18. ALL EQ IS SET FLAT WITH NO EFFECTS. As Always Your Thoughts Are Welcome!

DIP-Switch 5:

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-03-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:06 PM

I am not a fan of the quackiness I hear…

I think you have the same problem that I usually have with IR.

From the 100-200Hz range you get boom but also mud from the 500Hz range and weird notch phasey resonances in the low mids… Those can sound nice as they mask the quacky artefacts in the 3-4 KHz range. Once you tame those low frequencies, the quack is back…

It is an art by itself to find the perfect balance.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-18-2022, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I am not a fan of the quackiness I hear…

I think you have the same problem that I usually have with IR.

From the 100-200Hz range you get boom but also mud from the 500Hz range and weird notch phasey resonances in the low mids… Those can sound nice as they mask the quacky artefacts in the 3-4 KHz range. Once you tame those low frequencies, the quack is back…

It is an art by itself to find the perfect balance.
Thanks, Cuki! Yes, what a fight it is to determine how to get a pickup installation to sound its best under at-home trials let alone under a variety of real-world playing situations. It can be a drawn-out process of adjusting this or that! My feeling is that the Ultra Tonic 3.2 sounds as good as just about anything out there. I am, however, awaiting the first AGF-member demos of what could be the holy grail of pickup systems that may make me a true believer: The $49.00 USD JourneyTek Pickup.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification