The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-22-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Dennis said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
That is some really pretty Mahogany! Beautiful guitar Bruce!
Yep! Beautiful Mahogany for sure! And I would enjoy the story of the violin you are making, even if I can't play one!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-23-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

EDITED TO SAY: I MEAN "GEEKS" IN THE BEST WAY, IN CASE SOME OF YOU ARE IN DENIAL.
We wear the badge proudly! 🤣
Old 08-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The FT-000C for Jmat went out FedEx yesterday to arrive Thursday. John may have something to say shortly thereafter, or not; we'll see.
The guitar arrived! I will post a better response and hopefully some sound clips in a bit. For now: This guitar is a masterpiece. I realize that is a highly emotive word on a forum where such sentiment is often expressed. But I am unconcerned as it is the right word. I am so thrilled, I had been thinking about this tone for years but it was hard to describe, elusive, an idea. But an idea with substance and history, I played a 1939 D18 thirty years back that I could not afford and found haunting. It was the guitar or rent for a couple years. But no matter as it turns out, Bruce found the tone floating in the ether. Pick the words: musical, clarity, balanced, beautiful. They are all correct. There are these fat present trebles ringing over a warm woody base. I thought this would be more of a “pick” guitar and this is only partly true. I am mostly a flesh and nail player and had been pulled into the rosewood current as the fingerstyle tonewood of choice. But life has a few pleasant surprises yet.

I will post more in the next few weeks.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
The guitar arrived! I will post a better response and hopefully some sound clips in a bit. For now: This guitar is a masterpiece. I realize that is a highly emotive word on a forum where such sentiment is often expressed. But I am unconcerned as it is the right word. I am so thrilled, I had been thinking about this tone for years but it was hard to describe, elusive, an idea. But an idea with substance and history, I played a 1939 D18 thirty years back that I could not afford and found haunting. It was the guitar or rent for a couple years. But no matter as it turns out, Bruce found the tone floating in the ether. Pick the words: musical, clarity, balanced, beautiful. They are all correct. There are these fat present trebles ringing over a warm woody base. I thought this would be more of a “pick” guitar and this is only partly true. I am mostly a flesh and nail player and had been pulled into the rosewood current as the fingerstyle tonewood of choice. But life has a few pleasant surprises yet.

Fantastic news... (congrats)
Old 08-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, sounds like love at first strum, much the same way I felt when I received my new build from Bruce.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I am not a psychic nor psychiatrist, but I think he likes it!
Old 08-23-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Fantastic news... (congrats)
Thanks Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Congratulations, sounds like love at first strum, much the same way I felt when I received my new build from Bruce.
That was the P-OM? That looked awesome! One of us needs a road trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am not a psychic nor psychiatrist, but I think he likes it!
Roger that!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

This was my 4th guitar for Jmat. He’s been to my shop twice and played every relevant guitar on hand, after which we discussed them. His description of the desired tone helps, no doubt, but when couched in the context of the above experience, we had a chance. All I had to do was have enough experience as a luthier to be able to build a guitar that would make the sound I imagined he was describing. . . or be very, very lucky.

Thanks for the chance.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

The Mill Valley maple:

And the Oregon Engelmann:

Old 08-24-2020, 07:20 AM

Bruce, how different do you finish a violin compared to a guitar?
Old 08-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Interesting, that is unlike other Engelmann I have seen, darker and wider grained. Looks good to me Bruce.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
Bruce, how different do you finish a violin compared to a guitar?
The woods used have less pore structure than typical guitar wood, so less coats are needed. I brush instead of spraying. I use a softer varnish. There’s more, and when I get to the process I’ll pay attention for you.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Interesting, that is unlike other Engelmann I have seen, darker and wider grained. Looks good to me Bruce.
I built a pair of OM’s in 2011 that used spruce similar in visual character to This violin. One is Adi and the other is Engelmann. I took these guitars to an NCAL meeting at Ervin Somogyi’s shop and passed them around while asking the group to ascertain which was which spruce. The overwhelming consensus was that the the Engelmann was the Adi. The guitars were extremely similar tonally, but the Engelmann had more color. Yet another example of hearing with the eyes.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Bruce,
I know your guitar shapes and build processes are uniquely your own. Is this the case with your violins also? Of do you adhere to a traditional shape and process?
And thanks for posting this.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although many of my guitars do use my own templates, another many of my guitars are very close to Martin or Gibson templates. And, excepting my asymmetrical work, all of my guitars fall within conservative template parameters.

The same is true of my violins. While they have been made to several different templates, all fall within the conservative parameters of the Cremonese era masters. A more experienced and/or better trained violin maker might argue the point, however.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop