The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2022, 12:29 AM

Default Will a 14 fret dreadnought fit in a 12 fret dreadnought case?

I've found the opposite of this question asked, and the answer has generally been no since the 12 fret body is longer. So with that in mind, I'm wondering if a 14 fret would fit in a 12 fret case? Thinking of buying a 12 fret D down the line, and was considering going ahead and getting the case if it can pull double duty since case prices seem to be going up, too.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

Yes, it will. I had a Collings D1T in a Martin 12 fret Geib case for a couple years. There was a tad more room at the neck heel, but there was no movement. I doubt anyone would notice it if it wasn't pointed out. That case now houses a 50's D28, and the new owner is equally pleased with it.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
Yes, it will. I had a Collings D1T in a Martin 12 fret Geib case for a couple years. There was a tad more room at the neck heel, but there was no movement. I doubt anyone would notice it if it wasn't pointed out. That case now houses a 50's D28, and the new owner is equally pleased with it.
Thanks much! I may go ahead and grab one of the Martin 540 cases.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

I have three Collings 12 fret dreads. As far as I can see, the Collings cases supplied are for 14 fret designs, but work OK.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion