The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Any comments on a Collings CJ...good or bad?

This was one I should NEVER have picked up, I thought, "Oh..that's purdy" after playing it for 5 minutes, the hooks were in deep! May be out of my price range though. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments to offer about this guitar? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:21 PM

Loved the one I played. I have a very different Collings, but I can tell you the build quality is fantastic!!!

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
This was one I should NEVER have picked up, I thought, "Oh..that's purdy" after playing it for 5 minutes, the hooks were in deep! May be out of my price range though. Does anyone have any positive or negative comments to offer about this guitar? Thanks in advance!
Like most Collings models, they are great for many players, musical styles and playing situations. Of course, nuances exist when discussing things. For example, some may prefer a Collings OM over a CJ for certain applications, or visa versa. Others may prefer a different brand (same body shape and woods) over a Collings. Subjectivity rules. For example, I prefer Collings midsize guitars with Honduran mahogany and Adirondack spruce (such as OO, OOO and OM models) over other Collings guitars. But that's what works best for me, not necessarily what works best for someone else.

Nevertheless, you will rarely hear any complaints about a Collings instrument. They are top notch - a great bang for the buck in the high end acoustic guitar arena, particularly used.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Never played one, but I have played the SJ. Both have the same neck -- Collings "Medium / Fat-C".

Hands down, best neck ever! I think I like that profile even more than the mod-v of their OMs (I own an OM1).

Collings are incredible instruments. You'll hear tones, harmonics, and nuances that you won't hear on other guitars. But better play clean... accuracy is rewarded, and mistakes are magnified.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 PM

I played one in a shop and loved everything about it BUT the neck! It felt like holding a baseball bat by the wrong end. You definitely want to play before buying on this guitar. Except for that thick neck, I think it was the sweetest Collings I've ever played - and that's saying a lot!

But you have played it, of course - duh! If you liked the neck profile, then you should go for it.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

I've owned about 6-8 Collings over the years. Multiple OMs, a great SJ, and a couple of CJs. The CJ is my favorite. I love the neck shape. I recommend it in mahogany and any of the spruces they offer. Also go short scale if you opt for mahogany. If you go rosewood go long scale and you have the ultimate AJ.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitar. I had one for a time. Good multipurpose guitar (strumming, flatpicking, fingerstyle). If you playing mostly in one style there could be a better choice elsewhere.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

A very clear sounding, well balanced guitar with a big voice. It really is a "multipurpose guitar".

I've had my '06 for 1.5 years and couldn't be happier. I wanted one for over 10 years before I bought one... Don't wait like I did... buy now with no regrets.

Good luck!

Last edited by dave42; 07-25-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:54 AM

We sold an Adirondack topped CJ in recently (Mahogany back and sides), it was a nice picking guitar and had received a great review in Acoustic magazine over here.

Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 AM

I have a nice CJSB, Sitka/IR back and sides. Bought it new about two years ago and the sticker shock has almost worn off.

Great playing guitar with a wide dynamic range, deep bass, punchy mids, and sparkling highs. Very nice to sing with as well.

I come from an electric guitar background and this guitar punches out leads so nicely that it's like having an amp hooked up. Every note is strong up and down the neck. Single notes mixed in with chord passages stand out well.

Very good projection with a nice shimmer when strummed lightly, good for finger style as well.

Also have a Collings OM3G which I like alot, but the CJ seems to get more attention.

Would like to try one in Mahogany some time.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 03-02-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 AM

The one guitar I've owned that I miss the most...Collings, 'burst, Sitka, hog, CJ. Wonderful guitar. If I had the money I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

Tom
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
A very clear sounding, well balanced guitar with a big voice. It really is a "multipurpose guitar".

I've had my '06 for 1.5 years and couldn't be happier. I wanted one for over 10 years before I bought one... Don't wait like I did... buy now with no regrets.

Good luck!

Beside the fact that this is one of the finest looking guitars ever made, I've played one of it's twins (maybe not factually accurate but you get the idea), owned by a friend of mine many times.

It's one of the finest guitars I've played. Nothing to report like the guy who said it had an enormous neck profile, maybe he has small hands because this guitar plays effortlessly. Rich tone, even sounds across the strings, everything you'd expect in a top-tier guitar.

I think this one is especially made for the singer songwriter. A true keeper!!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Default Any comments on a Collings CJ...good or bad?

To answer your question: good. Very good. Actually, that's an understatement. I highly doubt you'll regret the purchase if you decide to pull the trigger, especially since you've already had it in your hands and loved it.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Pnewsom said.. "Would like to try one in Mahogany some time."

A couple of months ago there was a Mahogany CJ listed here on AGF. It was kinda local for me. We met. It was a non sunburst CJ but with mahogany b/s, long scale. I, regretfully, didn't buy it.

I'm a rosewood kind of person... I've had a few hogs and just didn't bond with them. But I now figure that if I didn't buy that hog CJ, I am never going to own a hog guitar. It was a very nice sounding guitar. (sigh)

Dave
'06 CJSB

Last edited by dave42; 03-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Michael Watts,
I have to say, of all the videos I've seen by dealers with a guitar to sell, that video above is the best. A little flat picking, some cleanly strummed chords with pauses so you can 'hear' what's going on with the guitar.
Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion