The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Composite Acoustics Blade Electric Guitar

Another Blade has shown up. https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...ustics%20blade

Few of these carbon fiber electric guitars were released before Peavy took over the company in 2010 ... and stopped making them. Shame.

I have no dog in this hunt, just that some AGF folks might be interested.

“There’s no end to what I don’t know”
Old 12-05-2018, 06:37 AM

I ordered and returned the first generation Blade. It arrived with a missing chunk where the shippers had driven one of the hard bag screws into the guitar body. From a comfort standpoint it was really heavy, kind of thin resting all that weight on your leg, and all the screws that held the back on were not great looking.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-05-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 AM

How much where they back in the day? CA sent me one to try when they first came out... nice of them.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

I have Blade #B-42. It's no heavier than my Strat ~ probably lighter ~ definitely lighter than the Les Paul.

It's in good condition (no missing chunks), plays great, sounds great (a favorite for recording), and it's loud enough unplugged for practice or jamming along with the radio... a nice feature.

I would prefer not to have the screws in the back, but it's not a big deal.

The bottom edge of the guitar digs in a bit when you are playing sitting down. Maybe that's why they call it "The Blade."

I keep it in a area that's not climate controlled ~ which was why I bought it ~ and the main benefit. It's a worthy acquisition for that situation and I wouldn't sell it.

Outside of that, there are better choices for electrics in the Wonderful World of Wood.

The Blade, however, is just a few tweaks away from being truly great and it's too bad Peavey hasn't worked on that model and re-issued.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM

For a time they were $799. I think that’s when CA was only selling direct, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
For a time they were $799. I think that’s when CA was only selling direct, but I could be wrong.
Sounds about right...those were the days... I made a couple videoswith it ... I did one but I am not an electric player at all... CA’s big guy asked if I could do a video with more of an electric playing... so got my buddy Gal to have at it... they liked it..yay. I should have nabbed it..
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

I think you are right in saying that the Blade was just "a few a few tweaks away from being truly great." Its flaws were rather obvious and I've always been surprised that Peavey didn't use its electric experience to make the Blade the guitar it could have been.

It may be that the first and primary challenge of cf guitars has been acoustic sound. It may also be the case that electric guitars constitute a crowded market of durable instruments that are hard to top.

My believe is that the cf market for electric guitars would have to be hollow bodied versions. Alistair is working on it.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Guest 928

Res;

Thanks for pointing out this interesting flash-back. In looking at the advertisement, I would say that this guitar is a collectors item--new, unused, primo, not many made, a rare offering.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Sotra like that song..."How much is that Blade in the middle?"

Old 12-05-2018, 01:50 PM

Bladeage.....

Remembered why I couldn't keep it...was just a prototype

Old 12-05-2018, 01:55 PM

Yes, a rare offering in that condition. Nice grouping there, Kramster.

Here’s a good thread from AGF a fews years ago, for more nostalgia. On page 2 is my summary of ones that were showing up on the used market.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=410833

Another AGF thread (can’t find it though) with links to NAMM 2010 shows a golden CA Blade with a Bigsby - a true one-off, and striking.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Found some early blade goofyness ... showing tuffness and versatility mostly...

Old 12-05-2018, 02:05 PM

And from the..

Old 12-05-2018, 03:14 PM

I wish they would take this concept and develop a stage acoustic guitar, ala SST, Crowdster, etc. with a modeling preamp. My dream guitar.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I wish they would take this concept and develop a stage acoustic guitar, ala SST, Crowdster, etc. with a modeling preamp. My dream guitar.
That would be great..I had a Renaissance for awhile and a Taylor T5 and was thinking about trying a Crowdster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber