The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Unhappy How many guitars......

have you purchased primarily due to participating in the AGF CF forum?

Me, 4. All Emeralds. But 2 of them were for my wife. Almost bought her a Journey OF660 too.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Just carbon fibers? One... an Emerald X-7. Love it!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM

Up to three. Hopefully that'll be the end.... but I'm sure not parting with any of them!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:42 PM

One...or more...but less than 10 or 12 or so give or take..I started CFing after I bought a CA 5i and then joined the MacNichol thing and that was it for me ...that's where I came across Emerald and Blackbird and Leviora and Journey...found McPherson at NAMM...Seems most of the same instigators are on this forum...good thing I ignore them...well a little bit...well...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

2 (and a maybe). An X7 koa second-hand, an X7 nylon currently being made, and I sent Alistair a message last week about getting a custom painted one.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

4... 1 RainSong and 3 Emeralds. For full disclosure, I did buy one more wood guitar after getting the RainSong (a Taylor 522ce 12-fret). After getting the first Emerald, I have had no interest in looking at any more wood. Well, except a woody (veneer) Emerald.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

3 Total, 2 Emeralds....1 Cargo
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 PM

Can’t answer ‘til Mrs. bsman is asleep...
Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

My Rainsong was due to AGF influnce.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

3 Emeralds and maybe one small Yamaha that I only had a week or two. I showed up here to research a parlor, learned about this Yamaha, bought it, but somewhere along the line also learned, for the first time, that there was such a thing as carbon fiber guitars which, if I liked them, could be the answer to my humidity/maintenance related prayers. Then I researched those (here and elsewhere), bought an X20, fell head over heels for it, sold my Martin and returned the Yamaha, and have since bought two X7s, an older model (used) and a current woody model. I’ll be selling the older X7 and will be down one AGF related guitar.

Basically all of the acoustic guitars I now own are based on an education that was launched here...

-Ray
Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
One...or more...but less than 10 or 12 or so give or take..I started CFing after I bought a CA 5i and then joined the MacNichol thing and that was it for me ...that's where I came across Emerald and Blackbird and Leviora and Journey...found McPherson at NAMM...Seems most of the same instigators are on this forum...good thing I ignore them...well a little bit...well...
I'm sure those instigators know who they are....and shame on them!
Old 12-04-2018, 08:23 PM

All in all, AGF has been pretty expensive. The ones I can specifically blame on AGF are the three Emeralds (X20-12, X20, X7)....so far. I've owned Rainsongs since 2001, and knew about Blackbird before my time here, but finally purchased a Lucky 13 in 2016 and a Farallon ukulele in 2017. Composite Acoustics was on my radar and I was getting interested in their offerings, until they closed up shop in 2010 after the NAMM show. We have a Peavey / CA Cargo too, bought locally. In fact, I introduced someone to the whole CA line recently while visiting our local music store that stocks CA's.

I also would not know about Journey or Leviora if not for this place. But we no longer need a travel instrument that isn't already well covered by what we have.

Oh, and an Amicus already and eventually an X30 bought by a friend in Anchorage. So that brings it up to five in my immediate circle.

Last edited by Earl49; 12-04-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 PM

Um,

Well, I bought the AGF "forum inspired" Shorty,
Eventually I found a WS-3000 for sale in the classifieds.
Oh, and I bought the X-7 from the classifieds as well.

Does the CH-PA count? I mostly bought it because I wanted something smaller than the Shorty for travel, that wasn't wood, and was CITES exempt. I didn't buy it because of the forum, but one could make the argument that I would not have bought it if I had not already bought a Rainsong from the forum... after a while, the rabbit hole starts to get pretty deep.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Um,

Does the CH-PA count? I mostly bought it because I wanted something smaller than the Shorty for travel, that wasn't wood, and was CITES exempt. I didn't buy it because of the forum, but one could make the argument that I would not have bought it if I had not already bought a Rainsong from the forum... after a while, the rabbit hole starts to get pretty deep.

It counts ... you got it from meeting people on this site and getting to have at it first so you could make a good choice...just sayin’.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

7 - in this order:

Emerald X20 Artisan (blue)
Rainsong Shorty APLE
Journey OF660
Emerald X20 Custom Woody
Emerald X7 (old style) September Series (2017)
Journey OF660
Emerald X7 Custom Woody (new style)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber