The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-28-2018, 11:05 PM

Default Overwhelmed by purchase of first amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Boss Katana 50. Best sounding and most versatile amp for the money. It even has an acoustic guitar setting. Perfect for bedroom practice or jamming with friends.

Yes I’d go with the above or the Artist or the 100 versions . The reviews had been first rate . If I was gigging electric again I’d buy the 100 watt or the Artist ( and I’m a Vox AC30 fan ) have a good listen and good luck . Check out Andertons video review
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-29-2018, 06:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

With amps, the biggest factor is to not be pigeonholed by your own amp. These days there are choices for metal, jazz, classic rock, etc. You need to match your own proclivities in an amp. If you are into classic rock don't get a buzz metal amp. IF you are even more laid back than that, consider options that will allow the tones you are looking for. Take time at the stores, ask for help, have them show you how to get the sounds you want with the guitar you have.

The tendency with all of us idiots is to tell you our favorite amp is what you need. The choice of the amp is just as important as the choice of the guitar. Oh, yeah. Have fun! Knock 'em dead.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
With amps, the biggest factor is to not be pigeonholed by your own amp. These days there are choices for metal, jazz, classic rock, etc. You need to match your own proclivities in an amp. If you are into classic rock don't get a buzz metal amp. IF you are even more laid back than that, consider options that will allow the tones you are looking for. Take time at the stores, ask for help, have them show you how to get the sounds you want with the guitar you have.

The tendency with all of us idiots is to tell you our favorite amp is what you need. The choice of the amp is just as important as the choice of the guitar. Oh, yeah. Have fun! Knock 'em dead.

Bob
very, very wise words bob!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Overwhelmed by purchase of first amp.

I had a small fender mustang that i really liked but found it too complicated and overwhelming due to its computer connectivity and endless tweaking opportunities. I had a lovely Blues jr years ago but was really too loud for the house. I now have a small newish Fender champion 20 which is perfect for my needs. Has reverb and delay and so forth with aux in for play along and headphone jack for private playing. Simple dials and enough for me.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:16 PM

If you're buying a tube amp consider at what volume the amp projects cleans & overdriven tones. Each amp will start to breakup up at a specific volume. You can't get any clean sounds louder than that and you can't get any overdriven sounds quieter than that (unless you use a pedal).

The more powerful the amp, the louder and less neighbour-friendly that break-up point will be.

Many classic guitar amps aren't hard to build if you know one end of a soldering iron from another. The Tweed Champ, Tweed Deluxe and Marshall 1974X 18W are all simple circuits with kits available from a variety of sources.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
If you're buying a tube amp consider at what volume the amp projects cleans & overdriven tones. Each amp will start to breakup up at a specific volume. You can't get any clean sounds louder than that and you can't get any overdriven sounds quieter than that (unless you use a pedal).

The more powerful the amp, the louder and less neighbour-friendly that break-up point will be.

Many classic guitar amps aren't hard to build if you know one end of a soldering iron from another. The Tweed Champ, Tweed Deluxe and Marshall 1974X 18W are all simple circuits with kits available from a variety of sources.
very valid points, moon.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-30-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for the very helpful replies. I think I’m starting to feel more comfortable with a less expensive amp. That takes some pressure off getting it just right. As for today I feel like it’s narrowed to one of the Bugera’s that Steve recommends( ps Steve I sent you a pm) or the Katana 50.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburned View Post
Thanks to all for the very helpful replies. I think I’m starting to feel more comfortable with a less expensive amp. That takes some pressure off getting it just right. As for today I feel like it’s narrowed to one of the Bugera’s that Steve recommends( ps Steve I sent you a pm) or the Katana 50.
I just picked up a V22 last week and couldn't be happier with it. Replaced the tubes with some JJ EL84's and gold pin Tung-Sol 12AX7's and, to me, it sounds amazing.

2002 Ovation Celebrity CC057 (for sale)
2006 Taylor T5-C2 Blue Edge Burst
2006 Fender American Strat
2006 Taylor T5C-12 Ovangkol (for sale)
2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique
2002 TaylorStock 810 Custom
2008 R. Taylor Style 1 Sinker Redwood/Indian Rosewood
Old 12-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
Boss Katana 50. Best sounding and most versatile amp for the money. It even has an acoustic guitar setting. Perfect for bedroom practice or jamming with friends.
That's what I did, love it too. I subsequently bought an EVH 2x12 combo, which I also love.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksj View Post
I just picked up a V22 last week and couldn't be happier with it. Replaced the tubes with some JJ EL84's and gold pin Tung-Sol 12AX7's and, to me, it sounds amazing.
Congratulations, and welcome to the V22 club!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

Save yourself years of experimentation and get a "Silverface" Fender Deluxe Reverb from the 70's.

My '72 never let me down in 27 years of gigging with our band and it still sounds incredible!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:15 PM

Swart STR-Tremolo.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 PM

I have had luck, good clean tone and power with the Fender Champion series. Just a suggestion based on experience.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Now that I have a fender with humbuckers does that change amp recommendations? Locally there is a pretty good deal on a used V22, V5 and the new katana 50.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburned View Post
...Locally there is a pretty good deal on a used V22, V5 and the new Katana 50.
PSA: Never. Ever. Ever - at any time whatsoever, for any reason whatsoever, for any price whatsoever - buy a used Bugera V-Series combo, period. Although I've become a hardcore fan based on my own extensive experience, FYI there were some serious issues with the first production run of "blue-light" models (long since worked out, BTW), and as a result they're finally beginning to live down the (justified) reputation for poor QC they had in the beginning; personally, I can't see why anyone would want or need to buy a used one - they're cheap enough brand-new (with warranty, in case anything does go wrong), the Turbosound speakers in the current "yellow-light" Infinium series are quite good-sounding (and head-&-shoulders above the Celestion wannabe fitted to the originals), and changing tubes in the new ones is a plug-&-play affair (no need for a bias job - around $100 in my part of town). FYI this is an excellent time to shop - not only are there coupon deals available right now from the major retailers, but the post-Christmas/New Year's sales (which is when I bought my V22 FWIW) can make it a very tempting proposition...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars