The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Lost my nerve to cut into my new RainSong. I sent the Anthem SL back to MF and ordered a Fishman Rare Earth Active Humbucker. As a backup it makes sense to have it in my gig bag for all my duo's guitars and if I have to plug-in the new one it's a quick temporary install.

The surgery to lower the action, install plastic tuner buttons, and install the clip free tuner is scheduled for this afternoon :~).

I also ordered another TKL 8975 case. The RainSong/Access case is now in the RainSong shipping box on a shelf in my basement. I called 8th Street Music and got a great price (as I did with the first one).
Looking forward to hearing more! I am going with the Anthem SL. Super excited about it. Post some pictures!!!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The new Concert Series RainSong showed up yesterday. Ted at LA Guitar Sales does a great job stocking the RainSongs I want that don't appear on the standard price list. Given it is strung with 80/20 Elixir 12s and my CH-PA is strung with PB Elixir 10s, it is a little hard to do a fair comparison, but I think they will be very much the same with similar strings of the same vintage. RainSong has really got their cosmetics to a very high level and there is no opaque finish (the RainSong way for the most part) and all the carbon weave is very neat. The sharks and Ablam soundhole decoration look great. Here are two pictures (I've already got one of my static cling pickguards on the new guitar):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sT6...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/155w...ew?usp=sharing

On the down side, the new guitar came with a Access Stage 3 case which looks to be large enough to hold a dreadnought depth Martin 0 size guitar (if such a beast actually exists). It is about an inch larger in length, width, and depth compared to the TKL case I bought for the CH-PA. Weight wise the two cases are identical. The Gator GWE-3/4-Acou case is the best deal out there and maybe a little more than an inch shorter than the TKL. Previously posted pictures:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18RF...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SR5...ew?usp=sharing

The factory action is 7/64" and 5/64" low/high E at the 12th fret. The relief, alignment of the fret board extension, and saddle height at the bridge all look great. Left to do is:

- Install Baggs Anthem SL
- Lower action to 3/32" and 2/32", low/high E, 12th fret
- Install no clip D'Addario tuner
- Replace metal tuner buttons with black plastic
- Change strings to Elixir PB 10s (heresy!)

I'll probably let it stay as is until the factory strings start to lose it.
Congratulations, Jon, on your new RainSong all-carbon CO Parlor! It's got to be a comfortable joy to hold, and once you get your preferred guage strings on it it'll be a comfortable joy to play.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-08-2018, 03:27 PM

They sure look like a great pair! No doubt the Concert series is a classy beast, maybe even prettier (MY opinion) than the Black Ice. And with the small body and uni carbon top, I'll bet the 10s will sound great.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:09 AM

The new TKL 8975 arrived yesterday and it looks to be a more recent production run than my original. The shell is the same dimensions but the guitar's fit inside the case is perfect and not in need of some "learning" like the previous one. The flat top version of this case (7875) is much more reasonably priced and seems like another good option.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-09-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The flat top version of this case (7875) is much more reasonably priced and seems like another good option.

I think this is the case I bought for my Larrivee Parlor. (also a good fit for the Rainsong)

TKL does not appear to have the model number marked anywhere in the case though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber