The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-27-2018, 02:42 PM

Default Modding Telecaster (SX) Advice

Hi,

I own a SX Furrian (MN Ash). I want to get into guitar modifications for learning purposes and to improve the guitar's quality.

I've looked through a few forums and found that bridge saddles, pots, tuners, and nuts have been popular mod choices for the SX furrian. Right now, I'm planning to change the PUPs to fender noiseless because of the significant hum.

What modifications do you think would make the most significant improvement to quality/sound (other than PUPs)? Does anyone have experience working with furrians and have links to the parts that work best for them?

Let me know if you have any questions for me and any help/advice is appreciated!
Thanks
Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM

Hi JKW. Is this your guitar? I found it at Rondo Music:
Old 11-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

The one for $175?
Here's one that sold on Reverb with some mods.
https://reverb.com/item/915788-upgra...rscotch-blonde
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-27-2018, 05:31 PM

I would install a new high quality wiring kit from a reputable source like Mojotone.

I would replace the pickups, but I would do more pickup research before purchasing noiseless pickups just because I do not like the single coil hum.

I would not change out the hardware unless it is not functioning properly.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:10 PM

That's the one!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I would install a new high quality wiring kit from a reputable source like Mojotone.

I would replace the pickups, but I would do more pickup research before purchasing noiseless pickups just because I do not like the single coil hum.

I would not change out the hardware unless it is not functioning properly.
Thanks for the advice! Any reasoning for not using noiseless pickups because of the hum?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
Thanks for the advice! Any reasoning for not using noiseless pickups because of the hum?
A lot of things can cause hum. You might reduce it significantly just by shielding the wiring cavity. There's nothing wrong with noiseless pickups--some folks like them, some don't. But mostly, I believe in choosing pickups because of their tone, and there is a lot of variety out there.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Hey JKW. Even though you may want the noiseless pickups to avoid hum you may not like the tone of them (unless you are familiar with them and do like them).

Do you get a lot of hum from your pickups? Could be that you have a ground loop or the grounding wire may not be properly soldered.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
A lot of things can cause hum. You might reduce it significantly just by shielding the wiring cavity. There's nothing wrong with noiseless pickups--some folks like them, some don't. But mostly, I believe in choosing pickups because of their tone, and there is a lot of variety out there.
Ah I see, I've tried shielding but there wasn't a significant improvement. I like the tone of the noiseless, but I'll do more research as you suggested.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey JKW. Even though you may want the noiseless pickups to avoid hum you may not like the tone of them (unless you are familiar with them and do like them).

Do you get a lot of hum from your pickups? Could be that you have a ground loop or the grounding wire may not be properly soldered.
Yeah I get a lot of hum. After checking the soldered components, everything seemed okay but I'm not too knowledgeable on recognizing soldering mistakes. I'm not familiar with noiseless, but I do like what I hear from video demos so far. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah I get a lot of hum. After checking the soldered components, everything seemed okay but I'm not too knowledgeable on recognizing soldering mistakes. I'm not familiar with noiseless, but I do like what I hear from video demos so far. Thanks!
Try plugging your amp in another outlet in another part of the house to see if it's any better. Also, try a different guitar cable and go direct Guitar-Amp just to see if the hum gets better. You never know, it might not be the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
electric, fender, modifications, sx furrian, telecaster