The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default AER Dual Mix 2 Questions

Hi AGF!
I'm hoping someone here has some experience with the AER Pocket Tools Dual Mix 2 and can help me with a couple of questions.

I have read through the manual on-line and I can't figure these two things out:

1) is the high pass filter applied to both channels or just to one channel? On the front page of the manual lists as a new feature, "HP-Filter for Microphone Channel."

The picture of the front of the unit makes it look like the high pass filter is only on channel 2 but then later in the manual it says, "Each input section is provided with a gain control and a high-pass filter (hpf) to exempt the signal from disturbing or problematic low frequencies at the range of 50 to 300Hz."

I'm playing a guitar that desperately needs a high pass filter but I sure wouldn't want it also applied to my vocal mic.

2) Is one of the 1/4" line-outs a mix of channels 1 and 2?

I ran guitar and vocals into a friend's AER Compact 60 and out to my L1 Compact. It sounded really good!

I'm pondering a Dual Mix to use instead of my Bose T1 because of the quality of what I heard from the Compact 60 and because of the high pass filter (if it works the way I hope it does, on just one channel.)

I would take the DI of the Dual Mix to either my L1 Compact or my L1 Model 2 depending on the show and take a line out (again if I can get a 1/4" line out to be a mix of channels 1 and 2) to my Bose S1 Pro to use as a monitor.

But I can't figure out if I can use the Dual Mix 2 in this configuration.

Any info would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Matt
Old 10-07-2018, 06:14 AM

Hi Matt,
One suggestion is to contact John at Shoreline Music. The customer service there is truly excellent.
Also, at that price, you may consider picking up a Compact 60/3 or Alpha.
Let us know how it works out,
davidc
Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Hi Matt,
One suggestion is to contact John at Shoreline Music. The customer service there is truly excellent.
Also, at that price, you may consider picking up a Compact 60/3 or Alpha.
Let us know how it works out,
davidc
Hi David!
Thank you for the reply and the suggestions! I did ask John about it and he didn’t know. He said he’s only had one of those in stock and it wasn’t functioning properly so the only playing around he’s done with a Dual Mix was to try and get it to work!

I also checked with Michael at Django Books, another AER dealer, and he didn’t know either. The manual is really confusing. I think my only hope is someone who has one or ordering one from a place with a good return policy.

Django Books has them for $549. That’s the cheapest I’ve found. I did own a Compact 60 and I liked it but I don’t want to go that route. I’m quite happy with my 3 Bose systems. I don’t think I’ll stray from them again!

I like the size of the Dual Mix and i like the idea of getting a bit of that AER sound through my Bose stuff. And if I keep this guitar that needs the high pass filter I don’t need an additional box. I can go vocals and guitar into the Dual Mix and then out to the different Bose systems. (Again, if the Dual Mix works the way I hope!)

Thanks!
Matt
Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 AM

That sounds great Matt,
Hope that all works for you. I know what you are saying about that AER sound. I played my guitar through the AER with the line out to the S1 channel 2 and vocals direct into S1 channel 1. It may have been overkill since I like the sound of the BOSE ToneMatch for guitar with my K&K and RedEye preamp, It did sound very good and I used a touch of delay from the AER.
Keep us posted on the Dual Mix.
davidc
Old 10-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Default Experience with AER dual mix 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Hi AGF!
I'm hoping someone here has some experience with the AER Pocket Tools Dual Mix 2 and can help me with a couple of questions.

I have read through the manual on-line and I can't figure these two things out:

1) is the high pass filter applied to both channels or just to one channel? On the front page of the manual lists as a new feature, "HP-Filter for Microphone Channel."

The picture of the front of the unit makes it look like the high pass filter is only on channel 2 but then later in the manual it says, "Each input section is provided with a gain control and a high-pass filter (hpf) to exempt the signal from disturbing or problematic low frequencies at the range of 50 to 300Hz."

I'm playing a guitar that desperately needs a high pass filter but I sure wouldn't want it also applied to my vocal mic.

2) Is one of the 1/4" line-outs a mix of channels 1 and 2?

I ran guitar and vocals into a friend's AER Compact 60 and out to my L1 Compact. It sounded really good!

I'm pondering a Dual Mix to use instead of my Bose T1 because of the quality of what I heard from the Compact 60 and because of the high pass filter (if it works the way I hope it does, on just one channel.)

I would take the DI of the Dual Mix to either my L1 Compact or my L1 Model 2 depending on the show and take a line out (again if I can get a 1/4" line out to be a mix of channels 1 and 2) to my Bose S1 Pro to use as a monitor.

But I can't figure out if I can use the Dual Mix 2 in this configuration.

Any info would be wonderful!

Thanks!
Matt
Hi,
Im new to this forum and this is my first contribution. And I have to apologize for my bad english. I live in Germany.
But I perform and record for 30 years now with lots of experience.
After reading Matt's questions I tried my dual mix 2 in my studio. By the way it is like new and I plan to sell it.

So here is what I found out:
The high pass filter only works on Channel 2.
The two line out jacks don't blend the two inputs, it means pickup on line out 1 and mic on line out 2. The XLR output will blend both signals.
The sound quality of tue box is awesome, no doubt.

I hope that helps.

Best,
Guitarman68
Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi Guitarman68!
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here and your English is just great! Far better than my German! :-)

Thanks for the help with the Dual Mix 2!

Not being able to blend the line outs could be a bit of a problem. I can think of a way around that but it might be a bit too much screwing around.

That's good info to have though!

Thank you again!
Matt
Old 12-06-2018, 05:47 PM

coming in late.

I had another question. I noticed that the Dual Mix doesn't have any mid eq. on it. I have read that the Dual Mix is like the Compact 60 w/out the speaker. Is this an issue,,,ie not having mid eq.ing?
Does the Colourizer offer better eq.ing possibilities in comparison?

Also, if it true that you can run the Dual Mix from Phantom power? thnx
Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Matt;

I haven't tried the Dual Mix unit, but I do own and love my Bose T1... I use it with either my L1 Model II or with my AER Compact 60, and it sounds great with either...

You do know that the T1 has high pass and low pass filters in it, right? I usually set my Anthem SL-equipped guitars on the "overall" flat setting in the preset section, but I know there are several different high and low pass settings in there, as well. (I say "overall" because there is also a "flat" setting in the acoustic guitar sub-menu, but one sounds very different from the other)

I'm pretty sure that you've fully explored all the various capabilities of the T1, but, just in case, I thought I'd remind you of this.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 AM

The Compact works well with a small mixer. I’ve used both Allen and Heath mixers and the T1 successfully.

The AER FX I feel work well and so having them remote from the amp is a decent option but I’d go for a small mixer. Of the two I prefer the Allen and Heath ZEDs.
Martin J40
Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi Everyone!
I bailed on the Dual Mix when I found out I can't send a mix of the two channels to two different sources.

I also sold the guitar that needed the high pass filter so I've just been using the T1 as usual.

I appreciate the updates though.

Thanks!
Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification