The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2018, 02:23 AM

Default Amplifier + speakers for my slg200NW - Budget $500

Hi guys,

I'm looking for an amplifier + speakers (asuming that amplifiers don't produce sound - I'm a newb) and I want really good sound quality, but my budget is only $500 ( i' willing to buy used stuff)

What would you recommed for my Slg200Nw silent guitar
I have cpnsidered
Yamaha THR5A

As far as speakers I'm not sure what to get and would really appreciate some suggestions.

Kind regards
Interstellar
Old 10-06-2018, 02:29 AM

I have a THR5 and it is surprisingly good for such a small unit. I wish I had opted for the THR10 though. The features are better along with being able to save customizations, where the THR5 has to be connected to a computer. It seems like a very good choice for your intended use. Go with the '10 though. You will not be disappointed.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:17 AM

Thank you so much, and i see that the THR10 Has good internal speakers as well - no need for extra speakers
I will go with the THR10

Kind regards
interstellar
Old 10-06-2018, 07:49 AM

The THR5A would be the best amp/preamp you could get for that particular guitar. Use the nylon modeler.

For more oomph/louder sound output, you could line out from the headphone jack into a powered speaker. For the remaining $300, give the Yamaha DBR10 a try (probably have to go used on that to stay within budget).

The THR amps are excellent for recording and silent practice. Versatile too as it has onboard effects and that particular amp will be suitable for steel string ac. el. as well as electric guitar.

The THR5A has the same sound output power as the THR10. The only thing you're getting with the 10 is 3 band eq and aux volume control and 3 programmable presets. The 10 DOES NOT have the nylon guitar modeler that would make your silent guitar sound perfect. Plus the THR5A is $100 less.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:04 AM

Fishman Loudbox Mini.

hunter
Old 10-06-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Fishman Loudbox Mini.

hunter
Second that.

I have both the mini and the charge use depends on the gig. When the gig is outdoor generator powered I use the charge.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

+2 for the LB mini. Well under your budget new and used even better. If you need more volume use the line out to a powered speaker you buy with the balance of your budget. I use Alto Troupers on stands-plenty of head room for the gigs we play.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:31 AM

You can get refurbs even cheaper on ebay.
If your not looking to fill an auditorium
i would go this over the LBM.
brand new they are 499.
small battery powered .. They sound fantastic.
this one is used

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunburst-Ge...kAAOSwDcZbOVxI
Old 10-07-2018, 02:54 PM

FT THOMAS: Just curious. You mention that the THR5A has to be connected to a computer if you want to save customizations, what software do you use to do that?

YamahaGuy: It sounds like the THR5A is a better option for me due to the Nylon modeler. Thank you for providing this inofrmation. Any idea on how it compares to the Fishman Loudbox Mini in terms of sound quality?

Regarding Fishman Loudbox Mini.
How does it compare to the THR5A? I'm just planning og playing for some friends and for mysel, but i do really prefere good audio
Old 10-07-2018, 03:08 PM

The Loudbox will have much more amplitude than the THR5A, but if you're playing for friends and yourself, you'll have plenty of volume for that with the THR5A. I would use my THR5 in small houses of worship and it was loud enough for 25 people in a worship setting. The Loudbox mini is more of a small venue gigging amp, whereas the THR5A is a practice amp. Also, the Loudbox offers another channel for a microphone, so it is in effect a portable PA system.

As for actual sound quality, the THR amps are often described as having hi fidelity sound. It is stereo output from the two speakers. The Loudbox to my knowledge is monaural. The clarity from the Yamaha is superb and the bass response will surprise you.

The software to hookup is I believe Yamaha's own THR editor software and is fairly intuitive.

Also, if you are an Android user, there is a Google Play app called THR library.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 10-07-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Your SLG200 already has a "nylon modeler" on board. Or imaging if you prefer. I play mine through standard acoustic amps and direct to PA and it sounds fine with no additional external modeling.

hunter
Old 10-07-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Your SLG200 already has a "nylon modeler" on board. Or imaging if you prefer. I play mine through standard acoustic amps and direct to PA and it sounds fine with no additional external modeling.

hunter
I probably should have said the Nylon setting is perfectly optimized as the best preamp setting for a nylon a/e guitar.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:02 AM

YmahaGuy, I thin kyou've sold me the THR5A, it sound perfect for what i need it for.
So the SLG200nw Has a nylon Modeler but with the added nylon moduler of the THR5A, the sound should be great if i understand correctly
Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
YmahaGuy, I thin kyou've sold me the THR5A, it sound perfect for what i need it for.
So the SLG200nw Has a nylon Modeler but with the added nylon moduler of the THR5A, the sound should be great if i understand correctly
Yamaha reps say the Nylon setting on the amp is "optimized perfectly for a nylon string acoustic/electric guitar." It should sound like a million bucks. No piezo quack. Even under hard attack. If you want some piezo quack, turn the blend knob to "pick up"
Old 10-08-2018, 02:48 PM

Awesome!
Here is my last newb question: My Slg200Nw has a Aux in, when i buy the THR5A V2 it only includes a minijack cable. What is the cable called i need to buy to plug the SLG200*NW into the THR5A?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
slg200nw, thr5a