The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
......but haven't a clue of other songs I can do in that tuning other than perhaps coming up with a tune of my own.
I play one slack-key tune in a variant of Open C (CGEGCe). I would love to find other songs to play in this tuning, but no luck so far. I might have to ask the song's author if he can suggest others. I learned this song from him at a music camp.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Occasional Dropped-D (Embryonic Journey) Mostly Open tunings. Open C (CGCGCE), looking for something else inOpen C6 (Bron-Yr-Aur is all that I know) Open G, Open D. I also do some variants on the 151351 relationships of Open D. That is, AEAC#EA on the Baritone.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:42 PM

>90% Open-C (CGCGCe).

<10% Open-G (DGDGBd), Open-D (DADF#Ad), D-sus4 (DADGAd), Open-Dm (DADFAd), and Standard (EADGBe).

The Open-C is a tuning I figured out around 1970 to keep up with a couple of Tom Rush tunes. I didn’t know that he used that tuning, or even that there were other than standard tunings. It was just an experiment on my part to cut corners. Later, I finally understood that alternate tunings were fairly common. John Fahey was an inspiration to continue on that path. He used Open-C a lot, especially on his Christmas albums.

Here’s a link to a student’s funny story about a lesson in Open-C tuning from a frustrated John Fahey:

https://www.johnfahey.com/CTuning.htm

I saw Tom Rush a couple times in the late 70s and John Fahey around 1983. Kind of aha moments for me.

opencee

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craviola View Post
Love open G and open C as well as Ive been playing a lot in this odd tuning EBEEBE which I really like as it can sound a bit Japanese or Middle eastern depending on how you play. I think I got to that one by fooling around with an old David Crosby tuning
The tuning EEEEBE was used a lot by Stephen Stills: "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes", "Carry On", "Four-and Twenty", others. Reportedly, Stills learned it from Palmer, the Buffalo Springfield's original bassist. It's sometimes referred to as "Palmer Modal".
Old 12-10-2018, 05:10 PM

Whatever it is that Joni Mitchell uses for "Coyote." I love playing along with JamesJames on his YouTube video. And for it, I use the D18.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion