The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 PM

Default santa cruz d12 norman blake info

santa cruz d12 norman blake info. im going to look at a 98 d12 norman blake. overall how do these sound. it needs a bridge replacement. it's coming with a new bridge and saddle from santa cruz. all i have to do is pay a authorized lutier around $200.00. the guitar is a good deal. how much can the bridge replacement qaffect tone and value thanks
Old 12-10-2018, 12:46 PM

I don't really have GAS, but the one guitar that sticks in my mind after playing it several years ago is the Santa Cruz D12. A very talkative, friendly dread. I recall that the notes washed over each other when Travis picked -- maybe too much for some applications. But I wish I had one.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM

Drew, getting a necessary structural repair like fixing or replacing the bridge might have a slight impact on the guitar’s value, but not nearly what leaving it unrepaired would have. It’s one of those repairs that sometimes need to be done, like neck resets. It’s the sort of repair that does need to be mentioned if you’re going to resell it, and there might be some would-be buyers who try to seize that as an opportunity to knock the price down.

But my own attitude is generally to think: “Oh, good, that’s something I won’t have to take care of.” A lot of other people seem to feel the same way, so if you decide to resell the guitar, you won’t take a big hit for having fixed the problem.

So, short version:

1. To be ethical, when you resell it you will need to mention the repair work. Knowledgeable buyers will probably be able to spot the repair anyway, and if it goes unmentioned by you it could easily kill the sale for you.

2. Some potential buyers might try to get a substantial discount because of the repairs, but if the work gets cleanly and professionally executed, more will be happy that the problem got taken care of.

So, yes, this is a fine guitar and you should definitely get the problem fixed.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

It's sounds like a great guitar. One I've had my eye on from time to time. The ones I've heard were balance and sounded great. I love 12 frets. If the work is being done by SC then it's done correctly and should withstand any scrutiny. Bear in mind that most all vintage acoustic guitars have had work done on them. And they are very expensive guitars that people drool over. Vintage buyers and owners are well versed in about every aspect of guitar repair so I wouldn't think twice about your D12.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

That’s a great guitar! I have one around the same vintage ... early 2000s I think, but got some serious mileage and still sounds great!

BUT, you may be more interested in the history of my other SCGC. I have a 2006 H13, their 13-fret Nick Lucas model, which I bought used and in need of repairs about 4 years ago — new bridge in fact. So I got similar deal as you — but it came with the benefit of a redesign which yours may also. SC sent to my luthier and he installed it along with some fret work and full set up. They told me at the time they had redesigned multiple of their earlier bridges —AND they did this for FREE. i am like the third owner. So, these guys take care of their customers big time.

That guitar came back and it was like a NGD. I dig the SCGC company. And their instruments.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-10-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

If you already know its a good deal, go for it - its a great guitar from a great company -
Old 12-11-2018, 04:48 PM

Take a look at my thread history under "New Old Guitar Day" for a summary of the almost exact situation. Turned out very well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion