The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-02-2018, 01:02 PM

What does it mean "Upraded Standard" Fender Telecaster?

If the new ones like this are called Player, is this the earlier version?

This one is sold as new:

https://reverb.com/item/10782645-fen...d#policies-tab
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Right now on Reverb, there are a couple of MIM Nashville Telecasters...the earlier versions, with Tex-Mex Tele pups in the neck & bridge position and an RWRP Texas Special Strat pup in the center; vintage-style 6-saddle bridge & Kluson split-post tuners.

These are excellent; definitely will cover twangy classic Tele sounds, but these pups also have a bit more Rock in them than a typical Telecaster...hotter mids or something. I use mine for Led Zep & Stones covers, slide...in open G.

They generally sell for around $500.00; also, the Honey Blonde color is the only one of the various colors available that has an Ash body (why I picked the color)...the rest of these are Alder. I think the more expensive used ones available right now are the more recent versions with Noiseless pups.

There are also more expensive versions of these around that have piezo bridge and/or "Tone-Bender" installed, but the basic model is a phenomenal ax for the money...highly recommend!

edit: here are the Nashvilles available on Reverb right now...filtered for used models price low to high....https://reverb.com/marketplace?query...e%7Casc&page=2
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

Last edited by maxtheaxe; 12-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
So just a little update from the road trip. Played a few, looked at several with not a whole lot of options. Basically the Squier series was $499 and lower end Fender series was $649. They did have some Affinity's but wanted to step up just a little bit from that.

The one Squier Classic Vibe I played probably felt the most comfortable compared to Fender Player. Talking to the salesman, the Fender Player replaced the Standard?

Also played thru 2 different Blues Jr. tube amps. Sounded great, dang they are expensive.

First requirement is a maple fingerboard, that also limits my color options.

Still researching, new PC set me back so need to recover a little bit. Another road trip when the time is right.
The Fender Standard Telecaster has been replaced by the Fender Player Telecaster; the former can still be found easily as new old stock. The Player has much better saddles, plain steel rather than chrome of the Standard. Depending on the amp and settings, I found it very twangy rather than thick vintage like the Classic Vibe 50s blonde.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:28 PM

Having a hard time passing this one up. I asked for some side view pics and he sent me this one below.

https://reverb.com/item/10782645-fen...loid-pickguard

[IMG][/IMG]
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 PM

Love that Candy Apple Red finish! She's a beauty for sure!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 PM

I love my butterscotch Baja. You have to seriously try to make it sound bad. My neighbors assume this is what I’m doing.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 AM

I love my MiM Fender ‘69 Thinline Reissue. This has the top f-hole and solid block running through the middle of the body. The feel of the neck and maple fingerboard are just sublime and is nicer than any of the USA models I’ve owned. I did put a dimarzio mini-stack humbucker in the bridge as I didn’t like the icepick sounding stock pu and it seemed a bit mad having a guitar and only using 50% of its potential (that marvellous glassy smooth neck pu). Mine’s about 10 years old and I bought it new for around £700. Highly recommended

1996 Martin HD28
2018 Martin OM28 reimagined
2016 Takamine P3MC
Gibson Les Paul ‘58 Custom Shop
Fender MiM ‘69 Thinline Reissue Telecaster

Last edited by billyboy1962; 12-04-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Default SDOTD

This thread seems to veer toward Fender and I'm in the same camp, but have heard some good things about this, on MF SDOTD...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stup...r=2133243_4192

For $300.00 seems like it would be hard to go wrong.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-10-2018, 09:14 PM

Well this report is late due to working overtime. I want to thank everyone for all the good advice here.

One more road trip last week to a GC in Greensboro proved to be a typical bad experience there due to lack of selection and could not hear well with all the picking going on. I did play a couple of Nashville Telecasters and the sound really caught my ear, maybe next time. From there I went to a private owned store that is a G&L dealer and just started carrying Fenders. Picked up a new red G&L that looked and felt really nice and the price was right. Played it through a 15 watt Blues Junior and sounded really good. Would have bought it right there but was rosewood fingerboard. Nice young salesman helped me out a lot so I did purchase the Blues Junior IV from him and was happy. This is also my first tube amp.

Went straight outside from there and ordered the red tele as mentioned above from Sims Music on Reverb. Package together sounds really nice. I think the intonation may be off a bit so probably going to my local shop for setup. The tube amp was expensive for me but the sound is also a whole new experience. This is the tone I have been looking for. After playing the tele I plugged in the Les Paul and wow what a growl. Most likely the amp alone would have suited my needs but I do love this Fender Standard Telecaster.

Last edited by polarred21; 12-10-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Well this report is late due to working overtime. I want to thank everyone for all the good advice here.

One more road trip last week to a GC in Greensboro proved to be a typical bad experience there due to lack of selection and could not hear well with all the picking going on. I did play a couple of Nashville Telecasters and the sound really caught my ear, maybe next time. From there I went to a private owned store that is a G&L dealer and just started carrying Fenders. Picked up a new red G&L that looked and felt really nice and the price was right. Played it through a 15 watt Blues Junior and sounded really good. Would have bought it right there but was rosewood fingerboard. Nice young salesman helped me out a lot so I did purchase the Blues Junior IV from him and was happy. This is also my first tube amp.

Went straight outside from there and ordered the red tele as mentioned above from Sims Music on Reverb. Package together sounds really nice. I think the intonation may be off a bit so probably going to my local shop for setup. The tube amp was expensive for me but the sound is also a whole new experience. This is the tone I have been looking for. After playing the tele I plugged in the Les Paul and wow what a growl. Most likely the amp alone would have suited my needs but I do love this Fender Standard Telecaster.

Great combination and a really sweet looking Tele. Love the pearl over red on that. I'm not surprised if intonation is off, just looking at the picture...the saddles are in a perfectly straight line, which would never happen. No biggy though...maybe they ship them like this now and figure that you're going to get it adjusted anyway. I guess it keeps their techs busy...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 PM

Looks great, good choices - it’s that kind of basic rig that got me lost in Fender land with no plan to return - the grass is no longer greener on the other side.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 AM

Beautiful! Congratulations...way to pull the trigger! I have the same guitar complete with maple fretboard, but in a cherry burst. Out for loan to a friend who is recording some original tunes. I've been dying to get it back so I can play it through my new Princeton Reverb.

Looking forward to hearing more about your new amp and axe, once you receive it.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:48 AM

You can do the intonation yourself. Takes a few minutes.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Did you get the amp at the Music Barn (I live 10 minutes from Greensboro)?

My two guitars in standard E are both TSO's (Tele shaped objects). & yes, you can set the intonation yourself, but accurate at 0 & 12 doesn't always make the intonation correct in 1st position.

Congrats, that's a great looking axe!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Looks great, good choices - it’s that kind of basic rig that got me lost in Fender land with no plan to return - the grass is no longer greener on the other side.
Yep, Fender was the brand I wanted to own also. (Love affair with Telecasters, Stratocasters and Fender amps).

Not to say though that I don't appreciate other guitars from other makers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars