The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-28-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Finishing the inside?

I'm on my first build and I noticed some people finish the inside of the front and back plates. Are the sides finished as well when this is done, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this? Thanks
Old 11-28-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbag View Post
I'm on my first build and I noticed some people finish the inside of the front and back plates. Are the sides finished as well when this is done, and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this? Thanks
Repair people generally disapprove strongly of the idea of putting finish on the inside of a guitar.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:05 AM

Doubling the thickness of the finish, by doing both sides, goes directly against the goal of having the thinnest finish possible on a top.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a guitar finished on the inside, but I learn something new every day.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 AM

If I was going to finish the inside of the guitar then I would finish the sides as well. If I was going to finish the inside of the guitar I would NOT finish the underside of the top.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

It’s actually something that many classical builders have done for a very long time.

The purpose is to slow down the loss and gain of moisture so as to maintain some sort of equilibrium.

Hirade was the first guitar I noticed with it.

Howard Emerson
Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default A set of 4 with interior finish

https://umgf.com/four-seasons-of-joh...a-t117926.html

Scroll down to see interior shots and descriptions.

I totally forgot that John often does this, although it is a very thin layer. My guess is that it’s sprayed de-waxed shellac, but I’ll ask him.

You can argue it’s merits or demerits in any case.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

Last edited by Howard Emerson; 11-29-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:03 AM

There are reputable makers who finish the inside and there are many who don't. From all I can tell, it's most often only the back and sides that are finished.

Contrary to a comment above, finishing the inside does not double the thickness of the finish since those who do finish the interior are applying the thinnest of coats.

From all I've read. the only reason to finish the interior is to slow down the effect of humidity changes. Also from what I've read, a very thin coat of finish has a minimal effect on that.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:48 PM

I often spray two mist coats of dewaxed shellac before I close the box. Shellac has a bit of advantage in that you can glue to it quite successfully, if repairs are needed. My theory is to mitigate against sharp changes in humidity.

Brian
Old 11-29-2018, 08:05 PM

The reason I asked was I watched the Greenfield guitars video on youtube and it showed the top and back were finished before he assembled them. I could not tell if the sides were done as well.

I would post screen captures, but it doesnt seem to allow me to insert jpegs.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAeXskZHC2o

shows the top around 14 min mark
Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 PM

My guild gad30r has a finish on the inside of the top. I've been told it makes it harder to glue a cleat to the top if it has a crack as the finish should be sanded off first.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:23 PM

I was just watching the greenfield guitar build again, and it looks like the whole inside has been sealed. This includes the kerfed lining. I was thinking this would make the guitar much more stable, especially considering he ships his guitars all over the world. I wonder how this effects the tone though.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM

Fact of the matter is, if you read the science and studies done on finishes then you would know that even the thickness of finish that we use on the outside of the guitar is almost completely worthless in regards to a moisture barrier. The thickness you would need for Nitro for example to actually be a viable moisture barrier would never be used by any luthier or guitar factory. So IMHO finish the inside of the guitar if you want but don't expect it to really protect anything. The finish on the outside of the guitar makes it look nice and makes it easier to remove finger prints but thjat's about it.

Having said that, one argument I would pose is that a finish will at least help with the rate of absorption. And that does have it's merit. If you take a guitar from the rain forest and do a tour of Arizona you might have a problem in the first few days. But even so, on the inside, the only exposure is through the sound hole.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair