The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-10-2024, 10:06 PM

Default Songs up and down the fretboard

Just saw this on YouTube:

It got me thinking, the easiest way to master the fretboard other than practicing CAGED scales is probably to learn a whole bunch of songs that require playing up and down the fretboard.

Does anyone know any other good guitar pieces similar to the one above where practicing can assist with the mastering of the fretboard?

I can think of Blackbird as one.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:56 AM

Here's a pretty easy piece to learn that might help. Everyone knows the melody, and if you're a finger picker, the right hand is a no-brainer. It's helped me to embellished other Spanish style songs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tuto...80kxTnKnI,st:0
Benito Huipe Classical (Paracho, Mx)
Yamaha NTX1
Old 05-11-2024, 08:16 AM

The guitar parts of blues tunes often (usually?) imitate conversations between men and women — arguing, wooing, lamenting, seducing, fighting, partying, canoodling. So acoustic and electric blues go up and down the neck a lot.

Two tips:

- Don't chain yourself slavishly to minor and major pentatonic scales. The blues revolves around them but relies on the other notes for character.

- Bar chords are your friends. Using pieces of them will lead you right to those non-pentatonic notes, no theory necessary.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-11-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:18 AM

For me I learn a song within the first 5 frets. Then I learn it in frets 6-10, then anything above that. Then I practice transitioning to whatever is easiest for my aging fingers.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:42 AM

One piece I really like that rivals Blackbird is Legend of a Mind by The Moody Blues. It uses a fingerpicking pattern incorporating open A and high E that moves all over the neck as high as the 14th fret. Blackbird uses an open G and goes up the 12th fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write