The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2006, 12:57 PM

Default Rainsong impressions

This past Sunday, I played a new Rainsong OM model (the all graphite series) and while I'll admit I'm still on the fence when it comes to the look, the tone is there in abundance. Play a chord and it rings so crystal clear that there is no problem picking out every individual note and it sustains for what seems like an eternity. Melodies, arpeggios and riffs had plenty of volume and piano like clarity (sorry for the overused metaphor) and the super comfy neck and fretboard made even my limited abilities seem way better than they really are. This small bodied model didn't have the booming low end that some may crave but then again, it is a small body. I personally thought it had more than enough bottom to it and that was very tight but still readily apparent. The bottom certainly did not get lost in the tone. Something else I think worth mentioning is that no matter where on the top I placed my hand, I could easily feel the vibrations from the sound. In fact, I swear I could feel vibrations coming through the lower bout onto my left leg while playing.

There was a drednaught and 12-string jumbo on the rack as well but I liked that small bodied (big sound) OM so much that I couldn't put it down. Price wise, about the same as a new 714. The only thing that I still couldn't quite get used to is the look. I absolutely love wood and the imperfections and individuality of every piece so it is hard for me to appreciate a carbon body guitar. I can appreciate however, the fact that they do not require any sort of special "care and feeding" since they are not affected by climate and environmental conditions. That is a welcome switch from monitoring two hygrometers, strategic placement of humidifiers/dehumidifiers, etc, then worry that if there is a problem the manufacturer will blame you for not keeping the proper environmental conditions for your guitar. That, I surely do appreciate.

I feel Rainsong has revolutionized the guitar more so than any other company I know of in my lifetime. Add that they did it while managing to produce a sound that, IMO, can stand up with some of the worlds most respected traditional guitar manufacturers and I'd say they got it right.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

For serious giggers (especially for us up here in the north/cold) I think a guitar like these could prove to be a very reliable tool.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:21 PM

I have a WS on order. I am very impressed with the sound and actually like the look very much. I wouldn't give up my wood guitars for it, but it will be nice to have for certain situations.

I agree that they have made some huge strides revolutionizing the acoustic guitar.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:28 PM

Rainsong are extraordinary guitars. I currently have a Rainsong Jumbo and its tone is so satisfying... deep, still clear low end, and loud and ringing trebles.
The guitar is perfect for fingerpicking but at the same time it is probably the loudest guitar on the planet when flatpicked. More over, Rainsong guitars are very well finished and set up. I am very (too much) picky as far as a guitar set up is concerned, and my Rainsong it's the first guitar (I owned 18 guitars in my life) I didn't feel the need to put my hands on in order to make some adjustment (action, etc...)

gerardo1000

Last edited by gerardo1000; 02-21-2006 at 06:29 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 PM

If I were to do it all over again, I would still get my rainsong WS-1000...BUT I do plan on getting a wood guitar as soon as the tax return gets here

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 02-21-2006, 11:55 PM

Gerardo raises an interesting point when he says, "Rainsong guitars are very well finished and set up." What I'm wondering is, do Rainsong or other guitars of this type even ever NEED a neck reset or other long-term maintenance issues of that kind? I know they're kinda new, but I guess what I'm asking is whether the whole plastic-fantastic construction means that certain wood-guitar issues just won't show up with these babies. So I'm asking.

They said, "You have a blue guitar, you do not play things as they are."
The man replied, "Things as they are, are changed upon the blue guitar."
(Wallace Stevens)
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 AM

I played pretty much the entire Rainsong line a couple of years ago (and I understand they have done some tweaking since then) and was very impressed! I wish I could afford one as an additional, non-wood guitar...but the prices are pretty steep to get one as a third guitar (already have a Taylor 12 and Omega MJ from Kevin Gallagher). I liked them, and know what you mean by getting used to that "look"--the stripey kinda herringbone lines all over it.

You might want to take a test drive on the CA all-graphite guitars...some folks prefer their tonal pallatte over the Rainsongs. Also there are a few folks here who own Emerald guitars. Both the CA's and Emeralds have a different look than the Rainsongs.

With all the wood shortages either a reality (like Braz) or coming (like genuine Mahogany) we all may be looking at the future of a much larger proportion of the guitar market with these non-wooden instruments. Guess time will tell.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 02-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Charter Member

Hi TW...
In my quest to find a companion guitar to my Olson, I tried many guitars, including the rainsong and other composite material guitars.

I think what many mistake for great tone is actually volume. It sounded fine, performed fine (super sustain, adequate intonation, action and projection).

It certainly did not have a natural, or wooden guitar tone. Even played acoustically it sounded more like what I associate with jazz...even tone, long sustain, rather benign tone. Played through a pickup/amp it definitely sounded like a jazz sound.

If I were moving to the rain forest or that geography, or the desert, I'd purchase one to live there with me in a heart beat. If I were a dedicated jazz player looking for an acoustic, it would be on my short list. If I played mostly through PA systems and toured, it would be a great (and easily replaceable) instrument.

They do have a place, but in my recording studio isn't one of them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Strummer
Gerardo raises an interesting point when he says, "Rainsong guitars are very well finished and set up." What I'm wondering is, do Rainsong or other guitars of this type even ever NEED a neck reset or other long-term maintenance issues of that kind? I know they're kinda new, but I guess what I'm asking is whether the whole plastic-fantastic construction means that certain wood-guitar issues just won't show up with these babies. So I'm asking.
The owner of the shop I was at says when he unboxes Rainsong guitars shipped from the factory, they are perfectly in tune and if the one I played is any indication of how well the factory "setup" is, then I'd say these are without a doubt out of the box ready for primetime.

Good points re: the neck resets. I was told no need for adjustments or never have to worry about a neck reset but then I read that their new "Advanced" line actually incorporates a double action truss rod. I found this odd especially since the Advanced line is the lower priced Rainsong model (the ones with the painted tops). When I checked the web site it explained the truss rod is more to accomodate personal preferences for string gauges since the action is factory set for a specific gauge. I know I would rather have the truss rod and the ability to have the neck tweaked. I guess if the truss rod shows up on the rest of their models it could mean their thought of necks never needing adjustment was overly ambitious.

Folkstrum...thanks for the suggestions and good point re: the wood shortages. I wonder if Rainsong ever considered picking up an endorsement from the Sierra Club?

LJ...Understood. As MJH stated, it wouldn't make me forsake traditional wood. With all due respect to you, I think I can distinguish between tone, volume, and projection. To my ears, the tonal spectrum was extremely Taylor'esque but with a slight boost in the lower registers, and yes, definetely louder. I agree that it was more sterile, or non-complex as there was a lack of tonal shifts or overtones, one of the wonderful aspects of a great wood guitar. But the full spectrum from sharply defined bottom to crystaline high was there nonetheless, as it didn't seem lacking in range at all. At least that's my impression.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Rainsong, CA and Emerald guitars never need a neck reset, as far as I understand.
Once you have them set up according to your preferences (action height, nut slots depth, etc...) you will not have any need to make adjustments in the future. When I mentioned that my Rainsong Jumbo had a perfect set-up, I meant that the action height at the 12th fret and the action at the nut were perfect for my tastes. And, by the way, it came out of the box perfectly in tune !
Now, regarding the adjustable truss-rod (which you will find in all Rainsong Advanced Series models and in all Emerald guitars): they are there not because you will ever need to adjust the neck relief due to humidity issues or whatsoever. They are there because some players prefer a higher neck relief (ususally flatpickers and heavy strummers ) and some others prefer a small or no relief at all (usually fingerpickers).
I personally find the presence of the trruss rod just an added complication, but this is only my opinion.
Regarding the difference in tone between the three composite guitars brands
(I owned models from all three of them) :
- CA gives you the traditional "Martin dreadnought" sound. If you like it, they are the best. I found that my CA Bluegrass Performer was a bit unbalanced towards the low end, like all dreadnoughts usually are. I mean, the trebles were a bit weak compared to the basses. And because I play fingerstyle, a CA is not my ideal guitar. However, they produce a sort of "OM" guitar which is supposed to be more balanced. But it is almost impossible to find it, and it is very expensive.
-Emerald guitars are very balanced. The x 30 large body is warmer and powerful.
The x10 model has a great middle range and it is an ideal blues/fingerstyle guitar. They also have the advantage to cost at least 3o % less than traditional Rainsong models and CAs. they are loud, but not as loud as Rainsong.
-Rainsong are the loudest of the group by far. Their sound is very modern:
very clear and distinct, you can hear every single note when you play a chord. Trebles are ringing and beautiful. Basses are powerful and not muddy at all. Some people think that a Rainsong guitar's sound is not 100 % similar to wood. It could be. But I personally like it a lot.
-Rainsong Advanced series cost much less than traditional Rainsong models.They compete in the same price range of Emerald X 30 guitars.
They sound very well. However they have less volume than traditional Rainsong guitars, and they are quite heavy.
Rainsong guitars, in my personal opinion, are also the guitars which sound best when plugged in an amp.

One last note: all threee brands have an OUTSTANDING customer service. I can guarantee you, because I had personal experience about that.

gerardo1000
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 PM

Default Rainsong

I've been playing my WS-1000 for about three years, and the only way I'd get rid of it is if I was upgrading to a Jumbo. I love being able to take this guitar places I wouldn't dream of of bringing a wood guitar.

A local folk musician saw me performing with it and said, "That guitar will still be here 3,000 years from now."

It sounds marvelous through my Bose PAS, and records fine when plugged straight into the board.

Wood guitars are very cool - I was drooling earlier on this site over Tasmanian Blackwood - but wood guitars have many limitations that simply do not trouble Rainsongs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber