The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Nut size advice for a beginner, should I change?

Hoping to get some advice because I’m a newbie.

I’m through the early lessons at JustinGuitar and I can get the chords so far, and make them ring out perfectly, but it takes some work in my chord perfect exercises. Particularly 3rd finger in D.

I have a guitar that I really enjoy (Taylor Koa 224ce DLX). Of course I can’t play it well but I like how it feels in my hands, it’s balance and body, and I love the look of it, and to my untrained ear I like how it sounds.

The nut size is 1 11/16 and every time I struggle to get the chords to ring true I can’t help but wonder if my large hand (not sausage fingers, but certainly a mens L size hand) would be better with a 1 3/4 nut size.

But before going off and buying a new guitar I figured I would be smart to ask here on this very helpful and knowledgeable forum.

Thank you
Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 PM

That very well might help but nut width is only one part of the equation. You also want to check out string spacing at the saddle. Some 1 3/4 nut width have 2 1/4 string spacing, some 2 3/16 and some 2 5/16. I find that matters even more than the nut width.

Personally, I will never buy a guitar with a nut width with 11/16 nut width but that's a personal preference and there are many who love it.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

It will make a difference, but some of your issues may be just a matter of more time with a guitar.

You should get another guitar with the 1.75" nut , but keep the Taylor you have now if you can. After you have been playing longer you'll be able to adapt to the narrower nut.

Some people are more sensitive to nut widths than others. It really depends on the individual.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-07-2020, 12:39 PM

I just measured at the saddle and I think it’s 2 1/4 but might be 2 3/16. Kind of depends. Seems like I should measure from string center to center.

I guess at this point I’m just struggling, and I know that means practice, but I do want to give myself every advantage I can by not making it harder than it needs to be.

I’m hopeless at making D sound right without a lot of concentration. A is pretty good. E is also ok but not great.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:45 PM

Your instinct is correct: Keep at it. Nut width started mattering when Internet forums happened. Don’t get lost down Nut Width Road, or along Tone Wood Way. Just play your guitar!
Old 04-07-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100LL View Post
...I can’t help but wonder if my large hand (not sausage fingers, but certainly a mens L size hand) would be better with a 1 3/4 nut size....
I have XL size hands and fingers, and my early guitar acquisitions had 1 3/4 inch nuts because I thought I needed that nut size. Well, as it turns out, not really. As I've gotten used to playing more, it seems your fingertips "sharpen up" and you can switch between nut sizes without too much trouble. I now jump from 1 7/8" nut on my 12-strings to 1 11/16" on my F-50R 6-string. Of course, my playing is not always flawless, I just play to have fun!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-07-2020, 12:49 PM

There are several variables that may come into play.
The shape and thickness of the neck is a huge factor.

Spend some time at guitar shops [when we can do this again] and play guitars with different necks and nut widths.
Some will feel a lot better in your hands than others will.
You may want to do this without knowing the nut width.

When you do find a guitar or two that feel right to you,
look up the specs to see what they are.

You will always want to have your guitar with you for comparison.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:58 PM

Default Wait

You might benefit from 1 3/4" but there are plenty of people playing 1 11/16" well.

My suggestion is to wait a bit. I don't know how long you have been playing, but give your fingertips a chance to develop a nice hard callous. That will do a lot to keep the soft part of the finger from slopping over. As well, it will help you develop more precision around your fretting.

If after a while longer, you are still feeling crowded, go to 1 3/4"

Last edited by SkipII; 04-07-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 PM

I went to the local GC before buying my Taylor (which I got here on AGF) and tried a lot. Problem was, they all felt the same seriously, they kind of did.

Of course that’s because I’m a beginner. I kind of reasoned that whatever I get is going to be a struggle, because that’s just the price you have to pay.

I wanted a quality guitar to be proud of and figured I would buy one that is a good all around model without being too expensive, and be pretty common as far as sizing goes.

I suppose I’m second guessing now because the going is getting tough.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:16 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Your instinct is correct: Keep at it. Nut width started mattering when Internet forums happened. Don’t get lost down Nut Width Road, or along Tone Wood Way. Just play your guitar!
+1
The D chord was hard for me too. Practice makes permanent!

Peace
Old 04-07-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I totally disagree. If the OP has large hands, I would only keep at it for a set amount of time. There are reasons why guitars have wider and narrower necks, spacing, etc.

If you can't get used it, at some point it's time to get something more comfortable.

If you have a Taylor, it's most likely 2 3/16 spacing. See if you can get a wider string spacing guitar to try and find out if it makes a difference or not.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:53 PM

Welcome to the AGF, 100LL. I see you recently joined.

Do you have access to a friend's guitar that has a 1 3/4" nut width? It's probably not possible to go to the store and try 1 3/4" nut guitars at the moment but you should when you're able to.

It's possible a 1 3/4" nut width will help. It's also possible that it's your technique.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Spot on!

You will be amazed at how much less nut width matters as you improve your overall skills.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Also a beginner here! I had difficulty with the first guitar I started on which, thankfully, was a loaner from a friend. I soon purchased my own, like you wanting something I would like playing. I did find chord fingering quite a bit easier on my guitar as compared to the loaner. When I learned more about such things, I measured both instruments to compare and found that the nut widths are the same but my guitar has a bit wider string spacing at the saddle. So, FWIW, one person's experience. I think both had decent set-up but this is another thing to check as it can make a diff. Also, light strings help a lot early on!

And finally, D was DIFFICULT for me too, and I have small fingers!
Old 04-07-2020, 02:03 PM

People can prefer a certain nut width, but there is no reason you can't play well on a 1 11/16" nut. Keep at it, and you will get there - it seems impossible, but with practice, your fingers learn what to do.

One thing to remember - "Practice Makes Permanent". Practice going slowly and getting all the notes in your chord to ring out - speed comes with time, but you will avoid a lot of heartache if you focus on clean fretting technique from the get-go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion