The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Carbon Fibre and the sun!

I've got a Journey guitar incoming but previously I had a Cargo (in natural carbon) that was like an oven out in the sun to play.

I bought a white cargo which took care of that problem but had issues with getting it on flights on my trip of Asia.

So I'm considering spray painting the black parts of the Journey ...or possibly get a local artist to paint it.

I'm guessing a matte finish would be the best to paint over but does anyone have any experience with this?

Possibly might even put stickers on it from other countries etc.

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-28-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

I think I’d be inclined to ask the manufacturer before I sprayed anything on a brand-new guitar.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Guest 928

Gear;

What Eatswodo says. You might also inquire about the paint to be used. You might also want to hire a professional to do the pointing.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:11 PM

I know a slack-key player in Hawaii that uses a Rainsong. He has to be very careful not to play in direct sun because his guitar quickly gets too hot to touch comfortably, and that isn't good to the guitar either. Sure it is robust, but not indestructible. A professional painter (car or motorcycle guy) would be my choice too, after consulting with Journey. Scuffing the surface is an essential part of prep work for any paint job.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I know a slack-key player in Hawaii that uses a Rainsong. He has to be very careful not to play in direct sun because his guitar quickly gets too hot to touch comfortably, and that isn't good to the guitar either. Sure it is robust, but not indestructible. A professional painter (car or motorcycle guy) would be my choice too, after consulting with Journey. Scuffing the surface is an essential part of prep work for any paint job.
That black cargo was insane how hot it got.

I'm thinking of making this guitar more a "mojo" guitar with a lot of character and I'm hoping its the last travel guitar I will have.

I might even turn this into a DIY thing!
Old 07-28-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound View Post
I've got a Journey guitar incoming but previously I had a Cargo (in natural carbon) that was like an oven out in the sun to play.

I bought a white cargo which took care of that problem but had issues with getting it on flights on my trip of Asia.

So I'm considering spray painting the black parts of the Journey ...or possibly get a local artist to paint it.

I'm guessing a matte finish would be the best to paint over but does anyone have any experience with this?

Possibly might even put stickers on it from other countries etc.

Any other suggestions?

There is/was an OF660 CF with a white soundboard.

If you contact JourneyInstruments,com or a dealer they might build you one painted all white at the factory. Especially if you let them know it will be featured on stage.

Cheers.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
There is/was an OF660 CF with a white soundboard.

If you contact JourneyInstruments,com or a dealer they might build you one painted all white at the factory. Especially if you let them know it will be featured on stage.

Cheers.
I did speak to them about it and they said they would do solid matte finish, price wise just worked out a bit more that the one I found locally.

Beach playing isn't too frequent in the past so I might think of a few options

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber