The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

You're not crazy.

I had a comfortable, large Jeffrey Yong SJ with one. That helped the access point immensely.

I wish my Gibson slopes had one. Or at least round, radiused edges.

My only GAS is for a Keystone Mod-D with one.

You're not crazy. I think squared off guitars in the future will be so 20th century.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

The guitars I play are small enough that the top edge doesn't bother me, but if I needed something to be done I'd go for a wedge instead a bevel. The reason being I'd like the luthier to use the entire width of the top for sound production instead of reducing the width of the top to accommodate a bevel.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-07-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The guitars I play are small enough that the top edge doesn't bother me, but if I needed something to be done I'd go for a wedge instead a bevel. The reason being I'd like the luthier to use the entire width of the top for sound production instead of reducing the width of the top to accommodate a bevel.
This is a very interesting notation ChuckS. Can you post some pictures of a Wedge vs a Bevel, so that I might understand the true differences between them? Even better yet, some Unfinished Wedges and Bevels with the top off.
From your description it would sound like a Wedge is installed into the Sides of the guitar? And a Bevel is On the Tops Edge? If this is correct, then when the arm rests on the wedge, your arm never touches the top?
I would certainly like that idea as I have to lift my arm off the top quite frequently so as to not effect the sound of the top.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Wedge

Most all guitars have the top the same distance from the bottom for both the bass and treble side . The top and bottom are not parellel going from heel to end block, the body being deeper the further it goes from the fretboard.

A wedge is simply doing the same thing side to side, the height on the bass side being shorter than the treble side. The body isn't as deep on the bass side as the treble side. In other words the top of the guitar slopes toward the player. This makes less body thickness the right arm has to reach over to pluck the strings. It is like a player tilting the guitar only it's built in.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 04-07-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
That's exactly it. Brickhouse. I have the choice between the 2 rosewood red deluxe models they have coming in a few weeks from now. I was just informed that they are both spoken for already. There are apparently a lot of inquiries and interest in Furch's new line.

I do know that they also have 2 of the cocobolo version of that guitar coming in the same shipment (not sure what the sale status of those are though). I considered one but it was pushing too high in price. In Canadian dollars, by memory, it was pushing close to 7k for the cocobolo (high 6k mark). That made me check out of the idea. I'm a rosewood kind of guy anyway, so it was a pretty easy decision for me in the end. I also don't really like the fact that cocobolo often is not quarter sawn. All the images of the cocobolo Furch Red deluxes I've seen were not. You really pay a massive premium for cocobolo. I personally do not see much gain, if any...Certainly not sounds wise, but that is just me. They can look pretty darn flashy though. Beautiful looking for sure, especially when they lay in the sap wood. A lot of visual interest to say the least.
I couldn't agree more. Rosewood is without question my favorite wood for B/S as well. Mahogany is a close 2nd. Cocobolo is certainly a pretty looking wood but that along with other exotic tonewoods have a little bit more risk involved to get in a guitar without playing it first. I agree not worth the $1000 price difference.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I couldn't agree more. Rosewood is without question my favorite wood for B/S as well. Mahogany is a close 2nd. Cocobolo is certainly a pretty looking wood but that along with other exotic tonewoods have a little bit more risk involved to get in a guitar without playing it first. I agree not worth the $1000 price difference.
When you say 1000, I assume you are talking USD....that is about the difference...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
When you say 1000, I assume you are talking USD....that is about the difference...
correct USD. The price difference might be worth it to some people on that but not me!
Old 04-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Sometimes I wonder how I made it this long playing a guitar without an armrest...
GOML comment of the day

GOML - Get Off My Lawn
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-07-2020, 06:04 PM

My Taylor 10 has a bevel and it is so comfortable. Its just enough to do the job but not be a problem. You have to be careful with bevels though cause some bevels are quite large. What that does is subtract from the major tone producing area of the guitar. A 000 guitar can become a 00 and so not sound the size of the guitar.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Most all guitars have the top the same distance from the bottom for both the bass and treble side . The top and bottom are not parellel going from heel to end block, the body being deeper the further it goes from the fretboard.

A wedge is simply doing the same thing side to side, the height on the bass side being shorter than the treble side. The body isn't as deep on the bass side as the treble side. In other words the top of the guitar slopes toward the player. This makes less body thickness the right arm has to reach over to pluck the strings. It is like a player tilting the guitar only it's built in.
I was going to ask for a picture of a wedge too but I actually understood that. I'm usually a visual learner. I think that the name wedge gave me a different image. To me the word 'taper' makes it easier to visualize.

This time of year I usually wear a hoodie when I play but come warmer weather I do feel the guitar cutting into my elbow and upper arm so I am looking at bevel options too.

Rob
Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 PM

I have them on several guitars. For me, they make a difference on deep and/or big acoustics. I don't have one on a concert and OM. I'm ok with that.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Back when one was able to visit GCs, I tried out a similar Alvarez (but with 12 strings). It was super comfy because of the arm rest, looked great, and sounded great - I actually preferred it to a Taylor 150e they had in stock!

2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass

Last edited by personatech; 04-08-2020 at 08:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion