The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Musical minimalist

In '82 I sold an American rock maple B.C. Rich Mockingbird to buy my first nice acoustic. I haven't owned an electric for more than a few weeks since, but I'd consider that a financial mistake.

Only acoustic I really regret selling was a custom Webber Engelmann/Claro Roundbody. I actually sold it 4 times and bought it back 3 (gotta be some kinda record) David built it for me in '07 - florentine, 1 13/16 - 2 5/16 and a full ab top. Really cool guitar.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:32 PM

I don't have any regrets although I've only been playing guitar two and a half years. Here's my guitar history so far:
  • Part-exchanged my first guitar, a Seagull Mini Jumbo, when getting the Martin 00015m
  • Sold MIM Classic 50s Strat and bought Taylor 114
  • Sold Taylor 114 to friend who loves it and bought Gibson G45 Studio
  • Returned G45 Studio and got OM21 Ambertone

I can't see myself needing any more guitars in the foreseeable future, two is enough for me. It'll take me a while for me to get used to having such an expensive guitar as the OM21 but I love it. Now I need to get better at guitar to justify the cost! I want to be playing Bert Jansch stuff in the next few months.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I can't see myself needing any more guitars in the foreseeable future, two is enough for me. It'll take me a while for me to get used to having such an expensive guitar as the OM21 but I love it. Now I need to get better at guitar to justify the cost! I want to be playing Bert Jansch stuff in the next few months.
Famous last words!
LarryK
Old 12-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Well, I have the one that didn't get away. After purchasing new Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition in October of this year, I decided once again to try consigning my 2007 Kelday 000 12 fret:

https://www.keldayguitars.com/kelday.../html/000.html

It has a number of up charge items that would bring the current build price to about $6,500 according to the site (the "ordering" page).

Since I bought a used 2005 Huss & Dalton 00 12 fret with custom wide fretboard, a couple of years ago, I had put the Kelday up for consignment once before. There was some interest, but apparently those folks couldn't come up with the cash. I took it back until just recently.

When I went to the shop, they said there had not been much interest in it yet. I played it a bit, compared it to several other boutique guitars in the shop, and realized once again, that this instrument truly is special, so again I took it home - this time to stay.

Apparently, the Kelday name is not known in the US. I am sure I would fare better in Europe since many top players there either own, or are at least familiar with the name. The first time that I wanted to consign the guitar, I sent an email to Dream Guitars, since they had sold it at some point prior to my owning it:

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ke...ble-sides.html

Fortunately, they seem to archive the pages for all the guitars they sell. Anyway, they sent me a real nice email, but they said that unfortunately the Kelday name is not known in the US so they were not interested in consigning it. With so many builders these days right here in the US, I can see how the market would be saturated by now and European builders may not fare as well here except for those few known here in the forum such as Brook or Sobell.

There was another Kelday, I think the OM model, here on the For Sale sub-forum for some time, not too long ago. The seller finally accepted a trade instead of a sale. I honestly can't think of what I would be willing to trade for, since this guitar is so nice already. I just felt that my 4 higher end wood guitars are a bit much and wanted to "thin the herd" as is often said around here.

Now, I chalk this one up to the one that almost got away, so fortunately, I don't have to have regrets.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
Famous last words!
LarryK
I don't think I have it in me to be a guitar collector, if a guitar is sitting unplayed like my Strat did it just irritates me as useless clutter that could potentially be sold! With two I can make sure I use both enough to justify owning them.

As for playing like Bert Jansch in a few months maybe that is less realistic...

Old 12-22-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

After many years and many guitars there is only one I have some regret about selling, a Collings CJ Sitka/EIR.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:50 PM

I have two.

The first one was a Takamine 12-string acoustic-electric. Dread body with cutaway. Pretty sure spruce and laminate. It actually sounded really great, but the action was quite high so I didn’t play it much. If I would have known then what I know now about a professional setup I’d likely have kept it.

The second is a Yamaha FGX-B1. The all laminate bamboo guitar. It didn’t have the nicest sound (it was quite bright - though it sounded nice enough with Elixir polyweb or silk and steel strings), but I wish I’d have kept it for the novelty factor.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:07 AM

A Collings D2A. I found a sensational Huss & Dalton Cocobolo/Adirondack dread and just felt guilty having both of the dreads, and justified the purchase of the H&D by selling the Collings. Wish I had just bit the bullet and kept the Collings along with purchasing the H&D. They sounded very different, and although I preferred the H&D at the time, and imagine I still would, I miss the Collings way too much.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I don't think I have it in me to be a guitar collector, if a guitar is sitting unplayed like my Strat did it just irritates me as useless clutter that could potentially be sold! With two I can make sure I use both enough to justify owning them.
This sums up me pretty well. I'm very attached to guitars while I'm actively playing them, but tend to forget about them and move when I'm not, so no regrets here. Sure there are some itd be nice to see again, but my guitars have become more expensive and better suited as time goes on and I don't need more than 2 acoustics. I sill have one electric; I dont play it, but I'm not ready to let go of my last electric just yet, but I suspect that if I've not played it within the next 12 months it'll go. It just means saying goodbye to entire genres of music and that's what's keeping it with me really - the idea that I'll never play anything with bags of gain ever again it very odd because that's where I started - with Metallica, Gus n Roses, etc

Last edited by RalphH; 12-23-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:32 AM

I’m in and out of love with my 2009 Martin D-16GT but I should’ve held out for a GC MMV because I found one mere weeks after putting the 16 on layaway.

TBH I’ve been GASing for a HD-35 ever since I heard Ray LaMontagne then played one in 2005 - and prices were much lower. I could’ve bought and sold one several times over in the years since. Though I couldn’t I should’ve saved the money I’d scraped up for the 16 ($950) and scraped up more to pull the trigger on a used D-35.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Sold a all natural Fender strat from the mid-late 70's. It was a gift from a family who lost their son. I ran into tough times and needed to sell it. Wish I still had it.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I regret selling my Fender '72 thinline and my g&l asat classic semi-hollow for my electrics.

As far as acoustics I had a nice Martin OM-28 with an Adirondack top and my Martin J-40 that I wish I still had.

I'm also missing my Nechville Phantom Galaxy banjo.

However all that being said I still have a bunch of great instruments now and too many for my skill level!
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 12-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Here is my list. I’d love to still have any or all of these:
Guild D4
Seagull Artist Mahogany Folk
Larrivee OM-05
Guild JF-30
Huss&Dalton 000

I like my current group, but those above were all regrettable releases.....

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-23-2019, 10:27 AM

A SCGC OOO.
It played as good as it looked. [emoji24]
Scott
Old 12-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Guitars check in. They don't check out.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion